RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Portrait restoration problem

Old 12-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Portrait restoration problem

Hello everyone. I'm new and would like your help with this restoration project. I finally figured out how to merge the two halves together but can't get rid of the line.

Another problem I'm having is not being able to restore the colors. The original is pretty badly faded. Would I have to go in to each stripe and color pattern and paint it or is there an automated way to do this in PhotoShop 7? I tried the multiply feature but it didn't work very well. I may have done it wrong, too.

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks in advance.

Nature1 - Bob
neversaydie@knology.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large-both-sides-800-pixels.jpg (96.2 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 PM

Hi Bob.
Welcome to Retouch Pro.

It sounds like you have scanned this in two halves and joined them together.
If this is correct then could you please post the two scans separately (including any overlap).

There is not much colour left in this image

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2005, 03:16 PM

nature1,

hi, and welcome to RP.

i couldnt find hardly any color data in this image, other than the red. so, what i did was desaturate it completely. i then scratch remove and cloned out the line that was left. i then ran a mask/selection on the band between the two halves and ran the Fast Fix plugin to even them up. after that i ran the lighten/darken tool over the image to brighten or darken up even more. this was a spot process.

but because there are other problems in the image, i ran a curves and levels adjustment layer to fix those and then ran the lighten/darken tool on remaining bright spots.

somewhere in there on one layer was also a 'clarify' filter.

you've also got an FFT pattern in the image. i mostly ignored this but it could possibly be taken out with the fft plugin.

if this was originally a color photo someone else might be able to handle it. or, if it wasnt a color photo you might still be able to colorize it if desired. to me, it seemed like a black and white that had gone 'red' from time.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large-both-sides-800-pixels-1-k-1.jpg (97.5 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2005, 04:16 PM

This image looks like it was scanned in 2 pieces and then saved a different compressions before being put together.
As it was mentioned before, there wasn't much color to save, so I elected to do it in BW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature1
Hello everyone. I'm new and would like your help with this ....
neversaydie@knology.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split.jpg (44.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 PM

a recolor from someone who has no idea what the real colors were...

I decided to recolor from a b/w just for fun...probably not accurate since I do not know at all what the original colors were. I was unable to fish out any color data...as that red had blotted it all out. This will give an example of what can be done in about a half hour or 40 minutes. Cheers!

-Kate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3ppltrchweb.jpg (96.9 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 02:55 AM

Hi Bob,

It appears from looking at the edges of your posted photo that there is a good 30-40% overlap between the top and bottom portions. As Ken suggests, posting the two separate halves will make the job much easier and the result much better as we can blend them together rather than having a hard edge.

I'm curious. Was the original too large for the scanner?

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 01:54 PM

two halves of pic

Hello everyone. Thank you very much for all of your excellent input. Here are the two halves as requested.
Thanks,
Nature1 Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webscan0002.jpg (97.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg webscan0001.1.jpg (98.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 AM

I started by adjusting both sections so they were fairly similar overall. I slightly darkened the bottom section (it seems too bright) and slightly desaturated the top section (which looks more red and less blue). I think I might have made some other little tweaks like color balance--I forget now. This is taste-based depending on what the final answer should look like.

The first attachment shows the layer stack. Starting at the bottom, we have the desaturated top section. Then I applied a brightening curve to compensate the dark bottom edge--you can see there's a gradient that gradually reduces the brightening as you go up. In other words, it only brightens the image along the bottom edge.

At this point, I noticed that the bottom section is darker (slightly) on the left than it is on the right--at least relative to the top section. So I applied another brightening curve--this one has a left to right gradient so it only brightens the left side of the bottom section.

For both gradients, I iterated the gradients a couple of times to get the correct look.

Now the two sections are almost well enough matched that you can't see the seam between them--almost, but not quite. So I applied a mask blend the top and bottom sections and thus smooth out this seam.

It's hard to see, but the mask itself is yet another gradient that is white on the bottom (no mask) and black on the top (full mask). The height of the gradient is exactly the overlap between the top and bottom. This smoothly blends the two sections.

I focused purely on the blending issue--I didn't spend any time removing noise, or transforming the images so they lined up perfectly from a geometric standpoint (a very slight amount of rotation and scaling is needed.)

Note I'm using Paintshop Pro. Mask layers look different in photoshop--ie., they're not separate layers.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palette.jpg (26.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg fix.jpg (97.4 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Hi everybody,

Bob,

Welcome to RP!

I work with Photoshop CS2. I also used the two halves, joined them and adjusted them in a very similar way as Bart did ....

Done that, as already mentioned, I also found that, beside the reddish cast, there was practically no colour information left on the original picture, so, I used the green Channel (the less damaged one) for my restoration and colorization.

I don't know if what I used are even close to the original colours ....

After fixing the B&W for noise, contrast, spots etc, I colorized your picture following this Tutorial ... Not the easiest to start with, but, in my opinion, the best once you get tha hang of it ...

Hope this helps ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_WebScan.jpg (99.7 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Flora.

That’s Superb. I had nearly finished mine But Its just gone in the Bin.
Great Job.

I’ve tried that tutorial several times and keep getting lost with which layer I should be painting on. So I use the other two tutorials at Worth.

Could you post your Colouring Layers Please?

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help