RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

tips for removing/reducing creases

Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 PM

tips for removing/reducing creases

Hi,

seasons greetings to you all.

I have a couple of scans of maps from a mate . The originals have all been stored folded and as such have crease marks. The maps are old.

I'm looking for a quick way, if one exists, to minimise the crease marks. I can of course do it the long way but i just wondered if there was any 'trick' to help flatten the creases.

I've attached two of the least bad, but tbh they extremely small (about 5% of the original size) so i don't expect them to be fixed i'm just looking for tips.

thanks folks,

cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map1.jpg (88.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg map2.jpg (93.0 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Patron

Map Creases

You may find this technique particularly swift and effective on thin straight creases but can also be made to work with thicker ones.
Select the Pen tool and the Path Option from the option palette in Photoshop. Click on one end of a straight line crease (or the part which is straight). Then click the opposite end to form your straight line path. Next select the Stamp (Clone) tool. Give the brush a soft edge and size it with the [ and ] keys to cover the line with some overlap. Then Alt Click to sample the undamage area on one side of the line. Now right click on the Path or from the pull down arrow in the Palette's Path Tab select Stroke Path. Click OK and your line will be cloned over. A little practice and this will save you a ton of time. Regards, MM
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 AM

cheers MM,

that's a great technique and after a play around i'm definitely adding it to my arsenal of fixes. However the problem with this is that cloning loses the map detail in the cloned area (so i get duplicate streets ) i was wondering if there was a way (excuse my ignorance) of somehow creating a negative crease/mirror crease. eg when you zoom in close you can see peaks and troughs of the crease lines now if these could be somehow negated by blending a mirror layer to minimise the crease effect. Sorry i'm not explaining it very well. I can picture what i mean in my mind but in reality if it's achievable i don't know.

thanks,

Last edited by Nacoya; 12-29-2005 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Your sample is kind of small, but it looks to me like it is more of a mechanical problem than a photo shop problem. It looks like you are getting a shadow which means that the map is not flat on the glass.

I think you need to take a carfeul look at putting some more weight on the scanner lid in order to flatten out the maps more. If they are printed on heavy paper, the folds can be hard to get rid of even with a couple of bricks or something piled on top.

You might try flatning the paper by steaming it. Use one of the steamers that folks use for steaming curtins. I had a friend that would sometimes use a steam iron and iron the back of such things, I have never tried this.

If you have the time, place them between two blotters, place a board on top, pile on a few bricks or most of a set of encylopedias, wait several weeks and see what happens!

When we copied with cameras instead of scanners I had a piece of glass that was about 1/2 inch thick and very heavy and that usually did the trick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 PM

i have to agree with the others about the size here.... too small. that may be just because of the 100k limit, but the whole point of a map is detail and this one just isnt showing it...too pixelated. add in the jpeg artifacts and it's just not very good.

i would also agree with mike's suggestion about flattening the map first. this shld make it quite a bit easier.

however, what mike is calling shading due to the creases, i see as discoloration and no amount of flattening will handle that....if that's the case (mike may well be right, though). if it is discoloration or something like an old scotch tape mark, then there is no easy fix and it's clone time.

if the flattening doesnt work and this is discoloration and not shading, then you're going to have no easy fixes here. clone would be good. back painting would work (the action of painting on a blank raster layer that is above your other layers), and quite possibly some other tools. just be prepared for a little work though. it's not that tough. i did a once-over on one of your maps, and though lacking in detail enough to really do a good job, it wasnt that difficult. see the attached.

this would also be a good time to do some general cleaning on the image. i noticed the edges and map areas near the borders seemed a bit dirty. do, dust off the clone/smudge/push/heal brushes and have at it

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map1-1-k-1.jpg (95.5 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 03:34 PM

thanks guys,

all points relevant and noted. I'll just need to get the sleeves rolled up and get on with it. Fixing the single colour areas is obviously the easiest bit but the map detail areas may indeed be nigh on impossible. It may be a case of enhancing/correcting what i can may help to detract from the other areas (or indeed probably the reverse ).

I have much higher detail scans (at circa 10 meg file size), but as you say craig i had to resize dramatically for the 100k limit.

ok well here goes..late night for me i think

if i'm not back around before then i'd like to wish you all a happy new year..

Slàinte mhòr agad!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 03:42 PM

good on the 10 meg sized file. that shld be pretty good but do try mike's suggestion. just getting the thing to lay down flatter might help a lot.

good luck and keep us posted!

and happy new year!

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help