RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Cabinet Card - Katrina Flood Damage

Old 01-04-2006, 04:02 AM

Hi,

jannetie,

thank you so much for your kindness!!!

It's not going to be easy restoring these pictures with so little information about their original look .... (particularly with the strict 'don'ts' you have to work with ... ) so, in some cases you'll just have to 'assume/guess' if something might have been part of the original or not ....

Good luck!! ... And you know where we are if you think we could help ...

Craig,

Quote:
ok, i'm assuming you're using something like 'guidelines' or 'grid lines' for this, yes, no? or did you mean you're simply making two windows that are horizontally laid out, one on top of the other? also, does PS do that, let you work in one window while updating in another? (Yes!!!) that would be very handy and i dont think psp does that.
... No guidelines or grid lines for that .... PS loves free spirits!!! .... Just kidding ... The possibility of having a fully functional 'twin' working window is an incredibly useful PS option ...

Quote:
and on this, i'm assuming the 'heal' brush is similar to the psp 'makeover' in that you simply touch it down on a spot and remove/correct things automatically by filling in with surrounding data. and whereas psp doesnt have any 'replace' modifier, i at least get what you mean, i think.
We had 'talked' about the difference between Clone and Heal here.. but, from what you say, PSP 'makeover' seems to have a similar function to PS Heal .... In PS you can use the Heal Brush in different Modes: Normal, Lighten, Darken, Replace etc. where you have to sample from a 'good' area and simply paint over the 'bad' one .... While painting, the Heal Brush will behave according to its Mode ... meaning lightening only what is darker than the sampled area ... etc. (really a great, great Tool!!!)

Quote:
also, do you always do all of your cloning and healing type work on a blank layer using the 'use all layers' feature? i tried this out after reading your last post and found some distinct advantages doing it that way; and some distinct disadvantages. quite interesting and i'll be using that more.
... The answer to this is ... absolutely YES .... Doing my corrections on blank Layers ... (have you seen my last Tutorial? ) gives me total control for changing, blurring, fading, darken, lighten, add or decrease colour, etc. to my corrections only ... in other words, complete freedom and control over what I do before actually 'committing' it to the underlying Layer ... Not to talk about the file size....

Quote:
and on this: what would you be resizing here? and moving what? also, what does the 'adapt' feature do?
.... Actually my own corrections ....for example ... for this picture I individually selected different parts of the ornated wall on which one of the men was sitting and the other leaning to ... I copied my selected parts on their own (otherwise blank) layer and had the freedom to move them over the parts I wanted to correct/cover ... nearly there, but it looked very odd .... so, I used the transform Tool to ''adapt' (sorry I've been misleading with the 'Adapt' part ...it isn't a PS feature .. just something I do to blend in corrections ...) the copied part to where I wanted to put it ... and that means size, perspective etc. ... and whatever works best for lighting, sharpness, noise ... you name it ....

Quote:
and i tell you honestly regarding the wanting to keep image integrity and why you keep ps as a hobby, you, of all people, with your skills, shld NEVER have to worry about this. even if you dont get it 'perfect', you are doing such an incredible job on almost everything i've ever seen come from you that most of us can only aspire to such levels... and do, just because of your work. a client shld consider themselves lucky to have you as the artist at hand. and if they dont, then they're not worth working for, as they probably fall into that 'source of trouble' category we all hate seeing. and those folks are NEVER satisfied. and any time you want an agent to seek out work for yourself, let me know, because i would have NO reservation in promoting your talents!
Thank you so much Craig .... sei un vero tesoro!!!

Last edited by Flora; 01-04-2006 at 04:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 05:14 PM

flora,

thank you

and, you're welcome

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 02:22 PM

Exuse my ignorance

Flora, this may be a silly question, but how do you open the "twin" window? Does CS2 do that as well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 03:44 AM

Hi Jackson5mom,

... and if I haven't done it yet, Welcome to RP!

... Now to your question which is not a silly question at all!!!:
Quote:
how do you open the "twin" window? Does CS2 do that as well?
I also use CS2 ...so...no problems here ... To open the 'twin' window after having zoomed in as strongly as you wish on the one you are working on, simply go to the Window>Arrange>New Window For... Menu on PS' top bar ...

After your new 'twin' window has been created, click on/activate the zoomed in (working) window and go back to Window>Arrange>Tile... and here you have to choose if you'd rather have the two windows placed horizontally or vertically next to each other .... here is an example of how I use them ....

One more wonderful thing .... when 'scrolling' your working window to reach the different areas (usually by pressing and keeping pressed the 'space bar' and the cursor turns into a small hand), you can automatically scroll the twin window by pressing and keeping pressed the 'SHIFT' key at the same time ....

Hope this helps ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 AM

ohmigosh-- Flora that is the neatest thing I have learned in a while! What a time saver to keep from having to zoom in and out! It is a pleasure to be in your virtual company Thank you for always being so willing to help others learn.

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 05:45 AM

Hi Kate,

thank you so much for your feedback and kind comments!!!

I consider myself 'naturally' lazy ... so, I actually go through a lot of trouble to find the small/great things that make my life easier ...

Take care ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 08:51 AM

Flora,

I have used "twin" windows too, but how do you keep the grey backgound?
When I Tile Vertically, it will default back to my normal computer desktop screen and eliminate the grey or black background.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 01:19 AM

Hi Ken,

that's a real mystery .... does it mean the procedure actually throws you out of PS or if still in PS it simply uses your computer background as its own background ???

I've made several tests to see if it did the same to me .... but no go .... At first I thought it might have been because, maybe, you work on a 'full screen' PS ... (I usually don't ... I always use the 'adjustable window' which I, then, pull to practically cover my whole screen ... ) .... but even on a full screen PS kept its grey background ....

I usually tile my 'twin windows' horizontally ... so, I tried to tile the vertically ... and still had PS grey background .... I'm really puzzled .... .... and sorry I can't be of any help ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vertical1.jpg (96.8 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help