RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

lighten up

Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 AM

lighten up

hello all..

Ive been working on this pic for about an hour and i just keep going round in circles and ending back up where i started.What im trying to do is lighten the image enough to bring the face features out. The main part im having trouble with is the eyes on the woman (my mom) at the front. The more i try the worse the rest of the picture becomes.

Im ok when it comes to cloning out scratches and creases but when it comes to lighting,brightnes,contrast etc i honestly dont have a clue
any help or guidance as to how to go about this would be appreciated.. im sure you guys can do this with your eyes closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom&aunt.jpg (97.4 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM

Hi Ozonew4m.

This picture is not that easy. I have lightened her face OK but her eyes look closed.
The reason may be that I can’t make out her eyes for the Jpeg artefacts.

To help you we need a higher quality scan of her face. Could you please rescan the woman’s face only and post that picture. Or if you have web space you could post a higher quality image there.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:34 PM

the reason you're having trouble finding the data of the eyes is because there is no reliable data for the eyes. it's just not there. the photo was too dark, thus rendering the data almost all black. if there's no data to enhance, that pretty much leaves you only one option....fake it.

if you have any other image of her with eyes more or less intact, you can try to clone or copy that data from the other into this one. you could also try to guess and just draw in eyes or borrow someone else's eyes. but, the data you're trying to restore just isnt there and never was.

i'm attaching an image of a selection of just her face. i've blown it up by 5x to show more detail. i used an extremely high contrast to try to find the data of the eyes, but it just isnt there. i could get just enough to give a general idea of where the eyes shld be, but almost no detail on the eyes themselves.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missing-eyes-1-k-1.jpg (93.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Hello ozone,

craig is right here, the lighting of the picture, the background, shadows, their hats, have conspired against you. It can't be fixed. If you try to fix it you will make it worse. Plus, there's a moire that runs horizontally down thru the middle right of photo and that goes right through your Mom's head and body.
I hope you have other decent pics of your Mom, but this one isn't the type to try to lighten to bring out detail. imo, you should actually do the opposite.

M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom&auntcopy.jpg (61.3 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 04:12 PM

...just adding a picture to Mig's words.

The Adaptive Equalizer filter is useful for discovering if there are any useful details hiding in there.
As you can see in the attachment, the dark region under the hat, combined with the overlaid stripes has just about eliminated all useful information (or data, if you prefer, Craig).

Like folks already said, if the information ain't there you can:
1) Copy from somewhere else;
2) Make it up;
3) Give up on this one and do something else.

Your call!

No wait...
4) Wait for Flora to come along and perform a miracle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lightenup_byRo.jpg (99.1 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 04:42 PM

Hmmmm?

I must admit I’m a little surprised at the replies here. I seems to me that the jpeg artefacts are the biggest problem. That is why I asked for a rescan.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_mom&aunt.jpg (99.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 06:16 PM

i wish i had some webspace so i could give you guys a full size scan to play with.. but i dont ..

looks like this pic is too far gone so thanks anyway people

i do have loads of pics of my mom and shes still with us so i can take a load more but i dont think she will ever look as young as this again though
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 11:36 PM

ken,

you might be right about a rescan. but in the current pic, i dont think this is just a jpg thing. it's very typical of dark spots on images. the data you know shld be there, just isnt there. yes, a rescan might produce something better and the double 180 scan trick might help also, but i'm guessing not.

one thing you could try, ozone, is if you have a decently high powered magnifying glass of some type, you could closely check the original and see if you can make out the eyes. if yes, then a rescan might do the trick. if not, then the only other option on this would be to take one of your other photos and 'borrow' the data from it and copy it over to the dark eyes image.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 AM

I agree with Ken. The jpeg is almost on the verge of having some information. The print or negative stand a good chance of having usable information. Take another scan that is brighter--ie., the scanner will boost the image before gamma-correction and truncation to 8-bits per channel.

Here's the luminance after jpeg artifact removal, NR, and severe curve adjustment in the face. I upsized the image.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face.jpg (41.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by bart_hickman; 01-13-2006 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Left out attachement
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Patron

Yep I agree, Rescan should work

I copied several layers in screen blending mode and then used curves to try to separate out some information. After that channel mixer not using the red channel. Again I agree with Bart_Hickman and others that rescanning may very well result in improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg almost.jpg (84.3 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help