Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Bringing Detail Back Into Faded Area / Removing Color Overlays

Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Bringing Detail Back Into Faded Area / Removing Color Overlays

I am currentley working on Challenge #82:

This is my first try at a restoration and I hope it's alright to ask for advice on challenge pieces, (I'm not really doing it to submit but rather just to learn).

I'm removed most of the superficial stuff the parts I am having problems with are the are that has been taped over and the fading in the lower right corner.

I could rebuild the entire corner using copying in a section of brick then giving it a unique looking with some clone stamping, burning, dodging, but I'm wondering what the 'proper' method is? I've been thinking of creating a mask for that brick area as well as the girl's faded dress area and then trying to increase the contrast in that area to try and pull out some more initial detail to work with... perhaps something along those lines?

My other problem as I mentioned is the area that has been tinted in color below the tape. I love the brown aged look of the photo and want to leave that intact but I would live to remove the darker tint below the tape. I might just try and flat wash the color of the rest of the bricks across the taped area (once I remember how to do that) then patch/heal the edges of the tape and the tears then deal with the areas of tape where it went into the girls head seperately. But again I'm not sure of the method the 'pro's' would take in doing this.

I'm sure I could fudge my way through the rest of it but I'd really appreciate some advice on how to handle it properly so I'll know for next time.

And I understand if giving advice on challenge pieces is not allowed.

Thanks much,
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Kurt and welcome to RetouchPro!
This is indeed a great place to learn and I'm sure you'll find lots of help and suggestions, and I don't think there's any rule against giving advice on a challenge.. seems that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the site!

Originally Posted by twitch1977
... but I'm wondering what the 'proper' method is? ..
IMO the only proper way is the one that gives the best results
.. not trying to be smart, but that's about the gist of it. I've seen some of the great work done by many of the members here and in most cases the methods they use to correct a problem are as varied as they come! Ask 15 people and you'll get 15 differnet answers, and sometimes they'll even look for alternate methods so you may get 20 different answers! lmbo

I worked a bit on the challenge you're refering to and my first thought regarding the washed out area in the lower right was to duplicate/clone an area from the good parts of the brick wall, and as you suggested, giving it a unique look. but, your other suggestion is viable also, and may in fact be a better way to approach it,.. just to echo what I said earlier, whichever way you're most comfortable with and whichever gives the best result is the "proper" way.

The best advice I can give is just keep working and practicing. These challenges are a great way to improve our skills. With restorations, you never stop learning and practice, practice , along with a lot of patience, and many "undo's" is the key

Looking forward to your submission..

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help