RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Moldy lawn and shrubbery....

Old 01-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Moldy lawn and shrubbery....

I'm trying to get this photo to look somewhat "normal" in the bush and lawn area with not much luck. Anyone have any ideas to make this look natural again? The mold is everywhere on this photo and it's basically falling apart. When I color the bushes it looks too fake for me, etc. The ones on the right have the least amount of damage. I still want to accomplish this myself but if you can show an example and tell me perhaps the type of approach that would be wonderful. A lot of times I find I'm just overlooking a simple answer. Thanks everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandmaneedshelp.jpg (93.7 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM

I think I would steal the shrubs from the right and clone/rotate parts of them over the ones on the left. That may or may not be helpful to you....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Patron

Here is my 2 minute beginning for this image in Photoshop. Select then Red Channel and apply the Green Channel to it (Image>Apply Image) with the Blend mode set to Soft Light. Next Image>Adjust>Match Color and check the Neutralize box. This should give you normal skin tones in the face and shift the foliage to dark green. From there Hue/Saturation Adj to fix the sky and adjust the greens. Then you will need to go about cloning out the mold, boost the contrast and sharpen. Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twinkissed MM Rev Thumbnail.jpg (94.8 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 03:22 AM

Well in my quick attempted I used the deepest red of the trees to affect colour change then dodged the lighter trees on the left a bit to darken them and then took a sample of the grass and in colour blending mode, made the grass on the left hand side a greener tone to match, a little bit of cloning on the trees, but not sufficient time atm to do much more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot003.jpg (63.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg grandmaneedshelp copy.jpg (84.2 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 04:08 AM

Quick bit of cloning and patching to remove some of the major blemishes (didn't attempt woman's face).

Quick colour correction using levels and curves.

New layer set to colour blend, and hand painted a touch of green into evergreens behind woman's head. Reduced layer opacity.

Wasn't sure whether to the left of woman's head (as we look at it) was mold or foliage, so didn't try to fix. Also not sure whether colour of foliage to right of her head is autumnal (fall) colours or mold, so didn't attempt to change them either.

This was a quick job, with a bit of time you should get better results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandmaneedshelp copy.jpg (78.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 06:55 AM

Hi everybody,

... and here is my 2 minutes correction of the colours only ...

1 Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer.
1 Color Balnace Adjustment Layer.
1 Levels Adjustment Layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_grandmaneedshelp.jpg (99.4 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 AM

Ok here is what I worked on. I did forget to adjust the levels Flora in what I had fixed so far, so thank you for reminding me. See, I wanted to fix this photo of my great great grandmother and use it on my site once it was good but... my husband says it looks too painted and fake to him. I used a portion of her face from another photo that was similar to this one. The rest is a bunch of clone and heal. He said the lawn is two different types of grass, etc. He's just being honest and doesn't sugar coat anything which I don't mind but any other input is welcome. Maybe I just shouldn't use it on my site???? I have to use a lot of my family photos because a lot of my clients prefer not to have it on the web. Usually the ones I do really good on too lol. Thanks for the suggestions. I adjusted the hue and saturation on here but her legs still look... pasty to me??? Plus not to mention, my husband knows the type of clients I get a lot. Like the one a while back where I didn't even have to fix the eyes but they told me the eyes looked... fake. Anywas I'm putting the before and after of the whole picture here. I am also trying out some watermarking from a tutorial I saw on here... what do you think... does it ruin the photo? I would like to eventually do this to all the photos on my site if it doesn't take away from seeing the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greatgrandmaroseorig4.jpg (85.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg greatgrandmarsample1.jpg (87.7 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 04:12 PM

tk,

that's a pretty remarkable restoration there. i do agree that the legs are a bit pasty. a mask and some noise shld help there. also, the lawn on the right side does look a bit cloned. the left side looked ok to me. you might try a blank raster layer and draw a trick from flora and use an airbrush to break that lawn up a bit more and give it a touch more texture, or you could just find some other lawn to clone from. those were the only two points that stood out to me. the rest is REALLY quite good and worthy of a web site promotion!

craig

edit: actually, there was one other point. the rim of her skirt looks p-shopped a bit, like it was dropped in there from somewhere else. just the rim. a soften or slight blur or blend of some sort might help that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Thank you so much. You're right I didn't really see it til you pointed it out since I've been staring at that picture for so long. Now I can definately see the cloned parts. There are a few little dots in the bushes I need to get rid of too. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Patron

grandma

That is a very nice restoration. I took your photo and increased the saturation some. Perhaps that helps some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandma.jpg (59.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help