Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Getting rid of scanning artifact

Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Getting rid of scanning artifact

I'm new to photorestoration, but with this picture I cannot get past the scanning stage. The quality of the original is not bad until I scan it, and this is what I get. The clouding on the table, best seen in the blue channel, is a scanning artifact that I cannot get rid of. Is this moire? If it is, it doesn't improve with any of the techniques I have found to eliminate moire. I have tried scanning at different resolutions, various noise filters and blurring effects, all to no avail.

I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby3.jpg (68.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Smile Not moire

If you google moire you can see samples of it illustrated photographically. What I see in this scan is what we see in many older images...the actual wear on the surface of the emulsion of the paper stock. It's the wearing and washing out over time. Restoration is what we do to improve that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Moire generally comes from scanning a printed piece rather than a photo. In a photo you may pick up artifacts or patterns from paper texture. Moire has a distinctive rosette pattern derived from the angles at which the CMYK inks are printed on paper.

I cleaned up this far by running a pretty strong pass with Neat Image, a levels adjustment, and a curves adjustment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampys-baby3.jpg (51.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Swampy; 01-18-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I think what you have is not moire pattern, but what is commonly called "silvering". An occidation of the silver in the print. I think there is a tutorial here in RP that has a scanning method to help remove silvering problems.

If that doesn't work, I often look at the channels of the image and the problem is primarily on the blue channel. You then could use the red or green channel and copy that and make your adjustments as normal. Use the Clone Stamp Tool or Healing Brush to clean up any remaining damage.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2006, 11:27 AM

welcome to RP.

i tend to agree with the others and i think if you took a magnifying glass and looked at your print you might see this white blurring. if you cant, then it may be like the others said but it only shows up when the light from the scanner reflects off the print. but that's not the scanner doing it so much as the wear on the print showing up more when under the light conditions the scanner has to use.

if you want to test the scanner, though, cut out a totally, very black piece of thick paper of the exact size as your print and put it over the top of your print. dont put it on the side that faces the glass; put it on the back side of the print. this will block any light that might be leaking through the print itself and giving a bad scan. you can also try weighting the top of the scanner cover to make sure it's seating firmly on the print itself. if either of those produce no discernable change, then it's the print itself and only retouching will clean it up.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help