RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help replacing eyes...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Eclipse88 Eclipse88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Need help replacing eyes...

Hi guys...

I've been a lurker here for a while, but now I thought I'd register an account and ask you guys for some help. I took a really good photo but my friend's little brother blinked, so I was wondering if you guys could try helping me with replacing the eyes from another picture so it looks like he didn't blink, because my friend wants to make this pic into a plauqe (sp?) for his birthday. My friend sent me a few pics of him looking right at the camera, and I cropped out just the eyes to make it under the upload limit. There are a bunch of pics with his eyes open, you can choose which one would look best.

I'd greatly appreciate if you guys could help me. I was trying for about 45 minutes with the clone stamp, etc. but I just gave up because it looked crappy. The eyes are small because the picture was big and we were pretty far back from the camera...

Oh, and yes, I believe he was tired hahaha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badeyes.jpg (37.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg goodeyes1.jpg (32.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg goodeyes2.jpg (36.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg goodeyes3.jpg (35.6 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 PM
RL Design RL Design is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 77
Here you are...

1. Bring good eyes onto new layer above shut eyes
2. reduce opacity, rotate, scale as needed to match face
3. bring opacity back to 100% and mask around eyes with soft edge brush
4. adjust hue and saturation so skin tones match

And remember, not one else will know that the eyes were replaced, so they won't be as skeptical as you are.

Last edited by RL Design; 09-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
kev kev is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7
a few additional notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Design
Here you are...

1. Bring good eyes onto new layer above shut eyes
2. reduce opacity, rotate, scale as needed to match face
3. bring opacity back to 100% and mask around eyes with soft edge brush
4. adjust hue and saturation so skin tones match

And remember, not one else will know that the eyes were replaced, so they won't be as skeptical as you are.

This sums up most of it, but there are some other things. One is that this assumes that the angle of the eyes, and socket qualities match. Because of this, a dodge and burn layer may be required for more sophisticated blending, and you may want to use the perspective or skew controls within the transform menu to bring about a proper perspective. Aside from this, you're going to need to change the catchlight in the new set of eyes to match that of the present lighting schematic. To get it just right can sometimes require a few layers, so when I'm doing this sort of thing, I create a group of layers, and name it by the part I'm replacing.
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Hi everybody,

Eclipse88 and, if I haven't done it yet, RL Design and kev,

Welcome to RP!

I did exactly what Robin did, using your 'goodeyes1' picture which was the closest to 'badeyes' in colour, lighting etc. ... and, I couldn't agree more with her on the fact that:
Quote:
...not one else will know that the eyes were replaced, so they won't be as skeptical as you are.
.... Having a lot of choices, replacement here was very quick and easy ... but, being eyes, nose and mouth the 'vital' parts of a face, I couldn't agree more with Kev about being very precise, careful and paying a lot of attention to even the smallest details so that these very delicate replacements look as natural as possible on the finished restoration...
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 01-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Eclipse88 Eclipse88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
wow... thanks a lot. I apreciate the input guys, and thanks RL Design for doing it for me, at least I'll know what to do next time. Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Eclipse88 Eclipse88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev
This sums up most of it, but there are some other things. One is that this assumes that the angle of the eyes, and socket qualities match. Because of this, a dodge and burn layer may be required for more sophisticated blending, and you may want to use the perspective or skew controls within the transform menu to bring about a proper perspective. Aside from this, you're going to need to change the catchlight in the new set of eyes to match that of the present lighting schematic. To get it just right can sometimes require a few layers, so when I'm doing this sort of thing, I create a group of layers, and name it by the part I'm replacing.
Wow, okay I guess i'm a noob since I don't know how to do half the stuff you just said there. I only know the basics (if those are basics, then I don't know what I know.. haha) anyways, you're right about the eye positioning, the left eye in the new pic makes it look like he has lazy eye, since its facing the left a little.. Is that even possible make look like its facing directly forward? and a minor question is how do I make the skin in the new eyes pic that RL Design created for me match the color of my actual skin.. a pic is attatched to let you know what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.JPG (6.7 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 01-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Hi Eclipse88,

I think you have done quite a good job in replacing and positioning the replaced eye!!!

From the other pictures you supplied, I think that this young man has naturally heavy-lidded eyes ... or lazy eyes as you called them .... so ... I would be very vareful in trying to change that .... but if you wish to try, you could use the Free Transform>Distort Tool, the Smudge Tool or the Liquify Filter .... I would advise to select the part you'd like to transform and copy it on its own layer (Ctrl+J) before attempting anything ....

As for matching lighting and colours ... you have a lot of possibilities:

Levels, Curves, Selective Colors can be used for correcting both ... Brightness/Contrast for correcting lighting, Hue/Saturation mostly for correcting colours.

As for blending the new part into the rest of the image as seamlessly as possible you could play with the Opacity of the new layer and/or by simply using a Layer mask ... If you are not familiar with Layer Masks, here is a beginner Tutorial on them which could help...

My examples below show:

1 Original + right after pasting, positioning and resizing the open eyes Layer on top of it.

2 Before and After applying a Layer mask and a Level Adjustment Layer to lift the shadow on the left side of the left eye (my left).

3 My Layers and their Masks' ....

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0091.jpg (89.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0092.jpg (95.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0093.jpg (68.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 01-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Eclipse88 Eclipse88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Eclipse88,

I think you have done quite a good job in replacing and positioning the replaced eye!!!

From the other pictures you supplied, I think that this young man has naturally heavy-lidded eyes ... or lazy eyes as you called them .... so ... I would be very vareful in trying to change that .... but if you wish to try, you could use the Free Transform>Distort Tool, the Smudge Tool or the Liquify Filter .... I would advise to select the part you'd like to transform and copy it on its own layer (Ctrl+J) before attempting anything ....

As for matching lighting and colours ... you have a lot of possibilities:

Levels, Curves, Selective Colors can be used for correcting both ... Brightness/Contrast for correcting lighting, Hue/Saturation mostly for correcting colours.

As for blending the new part into the rest of the image as seamlessly as possible you could play with the Opacity of the new layer and/or by simply using a Layer mask ... If you are not familiar with Layer Masks, here is a beginner Tutorial on them which could help...

My examples below show:

1 Original + right after pasting, positioning and resizing the open eyes Layer on top of it.

2 Before and After applying a Layer mask and a Level Adjustment Layer to lift the shadow on the left side of the left eye (my left).

3 My Layers and their Masks' ....

Hope this helps ...
Hi Flora...

I don't know what you mean by the heavy lided eyes, but what I meant by "lazy eye" was that both eyes aren't facing the at the exact same direction, so when I zoom it out it really looks funny, even though the eyes are positioned at slightly different angles.

I tried using opacity to blend the color of the two skin colors, but that made the eye look half closed or something, hard to explain. I also tried the layer mask and failed miserably, and I'm just about to give up

I don't know why the new and edited version of the "badeyes.jpg" had a different skin shade to the left of the picture but it blended in perfectly in the right side... I don't know what to do

Thanks again for your help and time
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 PM
carlos_0575 carlos_0575 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 10
Hi everyone

My personal view was to use goodeyes3 as they are the most alert/open set of eyes, and don't give the (half asleep or lazy eye) expression. Colour wasn't so much of an issue at this stage.

I masked the eyes pretty much as eveyone else has, but i separated the eyes onto 2 different layers to be able to tweak the angle/position of each eye (mainly slightly tilting inwards).
I used curves and a layer of airbrushed colour (sampled from mid skin tone) set at a low opacity to blend the new eyes into the original face tone.

My main view on this particular image is that the eyebrow positions need to be altered slightly as well. They were reshaping/raised slightly using a duplicate layer that had a liquify filter applied, to give the impression of open eyes. If not, the face has no life to it and looks like the guy is in a trance.

I have attached 2 images (the same as Flora showed her work) both showing the new eyes added, but with the before and after on the eyebrows position.

A lot of this is personal preference and normally a straight eye replacement will work. I just thought in this case as the before and after were 'shut' and 'open' eyes that I would try to tweak it slightly.

Hope this helps and I haven't rambled on too much as I think Flora pretty much covered all of this anyway.

Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_eyes.jpg (95.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opening eyes in photoshop. looking natural. thekiwilab.com Photo Restoration 7 08-21-2007 09:28 AM
Help with replacing closed eyes jasosmith Photo Retouching 10 10-30-2006 02:34 PM
Red eyes effect removal. Two eyes, two clicks to remove. al_m Software 0 05-26-2006 02:41 AM
caring for your Eyes pure Work/Jobs 1 03-02-2006 09:45 AM
Replacing "blinking" eyes John Lawton Image Help 3 08-09-2005 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved