RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Blue Sky & Water

Old 01-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Question Blue Sky & Water

My friend emailed me the attached photo taken recently in Mexico. He has asked me if I can make the water blue. Well I think the sky is a little lackluster also. I have access to PS7 and I will eventually have him send me a larger file of the photo for a finished product. Any suggestions on how to go blue?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mexico.jpg (97.8 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Patron

Hi Rob, is this blue enough? This kind of image can be tricky. The cloud are neutral but the blue in the sky is almost neutral as well. I immediately took the image in LAB color where the you and separated the blue in the sky from the neutral point (B channel). I am working on my Laptop LCD so I can not tell if I over or under did it. While I was there I noticed that the gentleman's hair had a mild green cast. I simply switched to the A channel moved the Green point in his hair to neutral. There are a number of other ways to do this in PS but this one took me 60 seconds. In another 60 seconds in the same color mode, I could have tweaked the image contrast and sharpened it if req'd.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mexico Rev MM Thumb.jpg (83.5 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Patron

Cloudy Day

Well the clouds sort of make that part of the ocean drab. The ocean color has a lot of green in it so one wonders what sort of color to make the ocean. At any rate in this case I selected the ocean and used an HSL adjustment layer on it and the sky.

I darkened the water some and increased the contrast as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cloudyday.jpg (19.4 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 03:45 PM

Hi Rob.
Welcome to RetouchPro.

First I straightened the Sea Level. Then a Gradient added to the water before colouring it.

The sky was painted onto a layer set to normal and then another layer of clouds added.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_mexico.jpg (99.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 03:59 PM

The tilted horizon also bothered me, so I straightened it by skewing that area. Then I replaced the sky with some stock clouds, tinted the water to an appropriate color and boosted overall saturation and contrast slightly, USM. Tried to keep everything realistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mexico2.jpg (35.4 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonK
The tilted horizon also bothered me, so I straightened it by skewing that area. Then I replaced the sky with some stock clouds, tinted the water to an appropriate color and boosted overall saturation and contrast slightly, USM. Tried to keep everything realistic.
How did you "tint" the water.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonK

Also...how did you "skew just that area?
I not very experie;nced with PS although
not exactly a beginner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM

Ummm, I don't use PS, rather Ulead PhotoImpact. I simply selected a rectangle around the penisula, converted it to an object, then skewed the object to make the horizon horizontal, then feathered the long edges. For the water, I just selected it, converted it to an object, toned it to the color in the hue/sat dialog, then faded it out at the bottom. The sky is done quite similarly, just pasting an alternate sky in the selection. I probably should have daubed in some white froth at the front of the water.

For a bit more, I'd probably remove the palm tree that seems to be growing out of his head and add a bit of color texture to the sand.

Apparently, few people use PI and the procedures would probably be described a bit differently for PS, but alas, I'm not very familiar with PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 09:22 PM

since you are a somewhat new user the easiest way to tint the water is add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer..

CLick the colorize option and tune in settings similar to below
http://home.att.net/~digphotog/huesat.jpg

Then you need to use the layer mask. An adjustment layer automatically adds one. It can be seen below as the black area.. Originally it will be all white. Black means the effects of the adj layer will be hidden and white means they will be shown.. To edit it click in the rectangle. You want to use a black brush and paint so that the ocean water to be white and everything else to be black..
http://home.att.net/~digphotog/colorize.jpg

That should do it.. It you have question just ask.. This was a quick shot to show you but the result should look like this:
http://home.att.net/~digphotog/example.jpg

Last edited by delic; 01-29-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 10:46 PM

Color Balance adj layer. 100% Blue -87% Cyan. Paint out all but sky and water with soft black brush. down and dirty...skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mexico.jpg (49.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by skipc; 01-30-2006 at 08:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help