RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Could use some help on this picture

Old 12-23-2001, 05:44 PM

Hey Wof
Glad you joined us. Your picture turned out great. Picture Publisher, not bad if that's an example of what it can do.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2001, 08:45 PM

Hey Wof,

Welcome aboard. I feel honored you picked my picture as your first submission.

Just curious, you mentioned " I changed the ambient light..." Can you elaborate a little on what you did to do that. I am not familiar with Picture Publisher, but maybe I can incorporate into the editing programs I use.

Take care and great job - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Carl: The ambient light control is essentially a brightness control. I don' t know if it works exactly the same---I would have to check the histograms and color levels. In any case, in the Light Studio, you think of it as a dimmer switch on your room lights. It allows you to turn down the room lights (if necessary) when you are setting your spots, floods, directional, and non-directional (omni) lights.

My thinking is that it may be POSSIBLE to duplicate the lighting functions in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, BUT it would be a very difficult endeavor.

Micrografx (now owned by Corel) just came out with Picture Publisher 10 Pro. It's quite a bit more expensive than Picture Publisher 9 (list is $199--I think---- street price is usually much lower)

You can go to their web-site and download a free, fully functional, 30-day demo of PP-10 Pro.......this is the download page.

http://www.micrografx.com/resources/

You make be able to still find PP9 somewhere----I think I gave about $40-$50 about a year ago for 9. Still using it until PP10 hits the streets locally.

I have Photoshop Elements and the freebie download of Photoshop 6.0, ---also used PSP7 and Ulead PhotoImpact but I prefer using Pic Pub-----just personal preference.

regards,
wof
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 12:30 PM

Had to try it in Photoshop 6.01. The attached file took two minutes. Copied photo, used Filter > Render > Llight effects set as follows:
Style: 2 O'clock, Type: Spotlight, Intensity: 17, Focus: 91, Gloss: -67, Material: -58, Exposure: 0, and Ambience: -7. Then used the Level Adjustment to lighten up photo some. I believe with a few more adjustments, you could get the image to look just as you want with very little effort and time.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikemominps6.jpg (87.1 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 07:56 PM

This effect can be done in ps. I didn't use the lighting effects filter. Instead, I made a darkish grayscale of the background copy, blurred it quite siginificantly and then changed the blend mode of this layer to multiply, then reduced the opacity. Then added layer masks and colour corrected it, among other things.
It probably took about 20 minutes. The results from Picture Publisher are good, but I doubt there's something - along these lines anyway - that that program can do that ps can't.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikemomwebcopy.jpg (77.0 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 08:07 PM

Calm down folks....*chuckle*

I'm not attacking Photoshop or claiming that Picture Publisher is superior to Photoshop. It's just another option---and they do have a full lighting studio that is quite versatile........ and I like it.

If anybody is interested, it is available for trial download.

Warmest regards to all, wof
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 08:55 PM

I agree that Picture Publisher is a good photograph editing software. I used it a few years back. I was more familiar with Photoshop and decided that I should stay with one software program and try to learn all the various functions of that program rather than trying to work with two or three programs. I still use Picture Windows 3.1d for some functions.

I was interested in seeing if I could come close to what you had accomplished in Picture Publisher using the Lighting Effect filter and levels without having to spend a lot of time doing it.

I think each person uses the software program they are more familiar with. Each one has advantages and disadvantages.

One thing that I have learned, using Photoshop since version 2.0 to the present version 6.01, is that I still learned new ways to do different things almost every day.

That is one of the reasons I find this forum to be so good, is the individuals here are willing to share their knowledge with each other.

Happy holidays to everyone.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 09:41 PM

George,

I agree. The main thing is the ability to do one's work effectively. If one's tools are working well for him/her, then that is all that is necessary. Some people drive Fords and some drive Buicks.

I try to look at and try out as many of the Image editors as I can find-------just because. They all do pretty much the same things. The major differences are in the language and the user interfaces. I'm sure we all agree that there is some low level editing software that is inadequate in terms of basic functionality---they are really made only for very rudimentary functioning, therefore they fulfill their intended function in the marketplace.

The main issue with any of these postings is general technique and the discussion of various solutions to a problem--this is not a competition.

Sometimes users of different software will experience language difficulties trying to communicate their methods and solutions. In any future postings, I will try to use more non-software-specific language.

It seems that what I intended was not what was being perceived--I'll be more careful........

regards,
wof
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 10:34 PM

Photoshop is supposed to be the Grand daddy of all image editing software and at $600 a copy it better be damn good. But I love seeing what other programs can do for a fraction of the cost of Photoshop and still get excellent results. And maybe I'm seeing the talent behind the users of these different editing programs that make them seem so remarkable. At anyrate I like learning about them so don't stop talking Wof and others who favor software other than Photoshop, we all have alot to learn and there's a whole world out there of some pretty impressive programs with some very interesting features. And I'm sure Carl appreciates your results regardless of what program you use.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2001, 11:17 PM

Its all good

Well said, DJ.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help