RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Cracked Picture, Can't Get Skin Looking Right Again

Old 02-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Cracked Picture, Can't Get Skin Looking Right Again

I was working on a picture,

Original:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tch1977/or.jpg

My Restore:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1977/done3.jpg

I'm pretty happy about where I got this picture too, but one thing that really bugs me is not being able to get the smoothe shadow/skin effect of the original.

In the original it looks like a 'photo' but by the time I was done repairing the cracks the skin was a complete mess, I did the best I could but I still feel like there has to be away to get the 'photographic' smoothe, non-blotchy skin and nice shading from the shadows. To me now it almost looks more like a drawing than a photo.

It was quite a bit worse than it is nowand I, just out of frustration more than anything, decided to run neat image on it which cleaned it up a bit, but I wasn't able to get it looking any better no matter what I was using as far as blurring etc.

So if anyone has any suggestions I could try I certainly would appreciate them.

Thanks to the site and it's users for teaching me so much,
T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 10:17 PM

I would smooth the hell out of the image and then try to add texture. Im not sure how my image will fare at such a low res and adding texture but I attached a try at it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rest.jpg (86.5 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by delic; 02-01-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 10:32 PM

Here is a quick clean up of the face, starting from the original image. I mainly used the healing brush in Photoshop 7 and some stamping. When stamping I like to use a large soft opacity brush to blend skin tones. I also use a pressue sensitive tablet. I added some noise back into the photo after retouching.

Last edited by RL Design; 09-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM

As has been suggested, Neat Image to smooth, healing brush, masked duplicate layers in soft light and multiply modes for lighting changes, Chips Paint With Light at http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm, sharpen, noise and a sepia tone for depth.

Nice work with yur retouch !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Refinish.jpg (90.2 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Working on your retouched image.

There is no filter or global process that you can use to even out the skin tone.

This is all manual work with the dodge and burn tools on a 50% gray softligt layer. Brush opcities vary from 3 -10%, softest brush. Burn the lighter areas and
dodge the darker until even. Time consuming.

When finished with the D/B, lightened the image with curves. Added a 50% gray overlay layer with grain - redudec opacity to 50%

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done3-LL.jpg (97.5 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 AM

Posting here is always so educational, yet humbling. I spent somewhere between 20 and 30 hours working on my restore, probably 1/3 to 1/2 on crack repair and the rest on trying to make some sense out of the resulting mess afterwards.

Judging from what I've read in this thread I'm doing some things incorrectly. For one I don't really use the healing brush, every time I have tried it doesn't seem to blend into the rest of the area smoothly. When I use the healing brush I just leave it on Normal mode with a hardish brush (I read that the healing brush naturally feathers), then I use a brush size slightly larger than the crack I'm trying to repair, set the source point just to the side of the crack a ways and then trace over the crack.

Is there something I'm doing wrong there? Should I be using a larger brush or a different mode? When you're closing up cracks do you make a series of a lot of small strokes or longer strokes (Both seemed to end up making a mess for me so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.)

All my crack repair was done using clone stamp, I would set the source point somewhere beside the crack and if the area was relatively texturless I would drag along a crack to close it up, if I found an area with a lot of texture I would try to blend it by just single clicking along the crack frequently resetting the source point to a new location in an effort to 'blend' it all in, which resulted in the mess I was left with after I got rid of the cracks. I would almost always use the softest brush setting. When clone stamping do you use a small brush slightly bigger than the area you're trying to repair or do you use a much larger brush in an effort to try and get a better blending?

When I got to the point of trying to recreate the skin smoothness and the shadows, I just used dodge and burn right on a merged layer, usually had the dodge or burn tool set to the lowest hardness and usually an exposure between 1%-5%, but the suggestion to use it on a soft light neutral layer makes a lot more sense.

Anyways that's pretty much how I did my restore, I'm sure it sounds pretty amateurish but I'm workin on it

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my thread, I haven't had a chance to try out the methods people detailed but I hope to have some free time here in the next few hours to give them a shot.

Thanks again,
T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM

Have a look at Katrin Eismann's site at

http://www.digitalretouch.org/

and scroll down to Additional Information on the left. Good info on healing and patch tool techniques.

HTH.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 AM

When using the healing brush it isoften best not to keep the brush round, set it slightly eliptical, this makes the brush work with a kind of scatter motion which breaks up patterns created using healing brushes. Also don't forget to use the clone stamp and then heal that back in. If you have CS2, you can also use the heal brush and then use spot healing on the edges that don't blend fully.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen
There is no filter or global process that you can use to even out the skin tone.
I use this method and folks seem to have found it useful.

Everyone has posted great versions, and given very good advice.

Here goes another tip: When you want to smooth and tighten up the outlines try doing a Filter>Noise>Median layer and masking this in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg done3-byRo.jpg (98.3 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help