Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Red all over

Old 02-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Red all over

Hi, I wanted some opinions to see if I am headed in the right direction. My girl friend brought over a couple of pictures for me to work on. They are of her dad, which has passed away some 20-30 years ago, and she would like to have them restored. For right now I will just start with the one photo of her and her dad, this one was taken 40 some years ago, when she was just a young girl. As you can see it has a red cast and I have fixed the folds-cracks and got some of the color to come back,(in his tie, some of the bushes) but the skin tone isnt right. Should I have gone about this in a different way. I am planning to color a few things (outline, and hue-saturate). Let me know what you think. I would like to know if I need to put my images back to orginal size, or will it make any difference? If I do, how is it done? As you can tell, I am new, so all of your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0008.jpg (81.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg scan0008-1.jpg (99.4 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
HroadhogD1, the first thing to do (well, after making a copy of the original) is to have a look at the channels.
You're lucky here that all three channels are in pretty good shape. The Blue ain't too wonderful but it'll do.
A quick way to get the colours back into the ball-park...

Add a Levels adjustment layer.
In the Levels, select each channel in turn and with the <Alt> key pressed adjust the black and white triangles inwards to a point where a few points of the image start to show up. (don't worry about anything outside the image or cracks)

Place an eye-dropper sample point on some representative point of the skin. I like to use LAB numbers, others prefer CMYK, others.....anyway. Examine your numbers at this point and, back in the Levels layer move the mid-pointer (gamma) on the channel that is out of line.

Now you're well on your way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red-all-over-byRo.jpg (99.7 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 09:54 PM

I also approached the image in the same way Ro did using levels. I darkened the Red channel by dragging the Shadow slider (Left triangle) toward the center. I did not touch the green as it looked close to Normal (the channel, not the image color), and I also darkened the Blue channel just like the Red one. From there you can fine tume the channels and end up with a similar result to Ro.

The other method I used is not one you don't want to try until you become a lot more proficient with Photoshop. But for other seasoned members who are interested:
- Apply levels adjustments as above to get a fairly dull image (skin too neutral).)
- iTake the image into LAB
- Blur the A & B (about 8)
- Shift the A or B channel to neutralize any color cast (the stones and sidewalk should be neutral). Unfortunately this also neutralizes much of the image which is now pretty dull.
- For you LAB-aholics, duplicate the image and apply the Man From Mars technique. If you choose your pivot points well, you will force the image into all four color quadrants bringout out copious amounts of red in the tie, face, trousers, shoes, yellows in the clothing an shrubs. Back off the capacity to taste.

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HroadhogD1 Red Rev MM Thumb.jpg (94.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
In Paintshop Pro (some of the tool names will be different in Photoshop)

-Fade correction adjustment
-Then did a bit of color balance to remove a bit more magenta. --at this point it's 90% of the way there--all remaining steps are subtle adjustments.
-Clarify filter
-Two hue adjustments--pushed yellowish bushes more towards green and pushed the pinkish skin more towards yellow.
-Very light noise reduction
-High pass sharpen

Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-channel.jpg (93.1 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 11:12 AM

Welcome to RP!

I also had a go at your picture .... Like I started with the Levels but tweaked the Colour Channels only .... Since I don't work with numbers, I can't be as precise as he is .... But, After the Levels, I used a Selective Colors and a Color Balance Adjustment Layers until I was satisfied with the result.

If after these adjustment you can still see a light colour cast, you can always open either a Levels or a Curves Adjustment Layer, select the Set Grey Point Picker (the one in the middle) and on your image, click on a point you know should be grey ... like the pavement for example ...

I finished by cleaning scratches etc., improving Contrast and sharpness...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_scan0008.jpg (98.4 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi HroadhogD1

I followed the excellent advice above to adjust the levels. Then added a layer set to color and painted more color where I thought it needed some.
I added a ‘S’ curve to improve contrast and then sharpened.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_scan0008.jpg (100.0 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Red All Over

CameraKen----Just what is was looking for. All you people have been alot of help! I will give it a try, and see what I can come up with. I hope to be able to be able to do what you have all showed me. If it takes me awhile, thats ok, I will learn as I go. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help