Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with Blue Stain

Old 02-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Help with Blue Stain

Hi folks. I've just found your website and I'm very excited! I used to think I did a good job of restoring photos until I came here... Boy was I humbled. LOL

One of my many hobbies is restoring photos for family and friends. Attached is a very faded photo (seems like my wife's family has a number of these). Unfortunately the photo was stuck to the glass and as I did not want to damage the photo, I scanned it with the glass still on it. (Was this a good or bad idea?)

I am able to remove the yellow overcast using 'Threshold' and 'Curves'. Photo 2 has been cleaned up a bit more by using NEAT IMAGE. The image is blurry. I may or may not go back to the original and try something different.

Anyway, I have tried several suggestions using the channels, desaturate, etc. but still have not found a good way to remove the stain. Any suggestions are appreciated. One more thing. I've tried to find a link to restoring skin tones, but there is A LOT to wade through. (I've spent several hours today). Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on restoring color?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family.jpg (98.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Family2.jpg (99.5 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Looks like those a re the spots that are stuck to the glass. I hate it when that happens. I haven't tried this yet, but I have "heard" people on forum talking about ways to unstick photos from glass without damaging them any further that they already are. Maybe try a search for that here, or google it...otherwise this looks like it may result in a great deal of cloning and some loss of detail. Good luck with the restoration.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Kate, I'll see what I can find.

BTW. I haven't really started cleaning up this photo yet. Stripping the yellow tone was only the first step of many. Once I stripped the yellow, then the blue stain became very apparent.

I've tried removing the blue stain, but nothing quick seems to work. I would think it would be fairly simple to remove the stain using channels, but I seem to lack the knowledge to do it properly. I'll keep looking and maybe someone will post a reply in the mean time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 PM
If you examine the channels you will see that the stain is barely visible in the Blue one. You could therefore convert to grayscale using just the blue channel. You can get rid of the stain by using the clone tool or you could select the stained area or make a mask of the stained area and apply a curve to match the lightness. You can then clean up some of the damaged areas and finally colorize the B&W image. The image you uploaded was not very usable because it was sized very large and saved on jpg compression 1 (poorest quality). It would be better if you reduced the size by a factor of 4 and then saved the result at the highest possile setting that will still allow it to fit in the 100KB RP limit. I started this one down the road to point out a possible way.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Major Sonar Blue Stain Rev MM Thumb.jpg (88.2 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks Murray,

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I knew there was very little damage in the blue channel, but I wasn't sure what to do with that information. I will try your advice on the picture tomorrow.

Thanks too Kate I found some good info about removing a photo from the glass. I may attempt that first, then rescan the results.

Thanks for the info on sizing the file too. I thought I was following the tutorial correctly, but I guess I need to reread it. My next picture will be much better.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help