RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

My first restoration: COMPLETE!

Old 02-05-2006, 01:47 PM

My first restoration: COMPLETE!

I thought I'd share the results of my first official restoration since I've learned so much from you all while lurking here.

The original is here:

http://www.pbase.com/grendel2000/image/55732622/large

The final version is here:
http://www.pbase.com/grendel2000/image/55732624

The hardest part was the large scratch in the little girl's face.

I also would like to reccomend to anyone here the new DVD by Katrin Eismann, "Image Restoration, Repair and Enhancement". I purchased it a learned a phenomenal amount of information from it.

Anyway, thanks for all of the great information, help and advice from everyone who posts here.

PS - Looking at the photo on Pbase, the blacks have become quite posterized in the darkest areas... Strange because it looks great in Photoshop, and I converted from my working space (Adobe RGB) to sRGB before saving it as a JPG copy. This is wierd.

Hmmm.... Pictures aren't showing in the post. I've tried both the bracket method and the "<*img src" method (with no quotes or *) and neither seems to work. Any suggestions?

Last edited by grendel2000; 02-05-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 02:54 PM

Hi grendel2000!

Welcome to RP!

I've been trying for the last 20 minutes to see your restorations but, always get a 'Gateway Timeout....Server Unreachable' error .... I'll try again later ....

As for attaching pictures/files to your posts, follow the first two links under my signature for detailed help ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 03:27 PM

Thanks Flora.

I've reposted the links. Pbase has been down a ton lately so that may have been the problem.

Thanks also for the pic posting info.

So am I correct in understanding that RetouchPro won't allow me embed a link to a picture in my post? I need to attach a thumbnail version instead via RetouchPro?

That would explain why the links didn't work to embed the picture in my post...

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 08:52 PM

I hope you don't mind...

A slightly different approach to your picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel2000
I thought I'd share the results of my first official restoration since I've learned so much from you all while lurking here.
work. Any suggestions?[/I]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family.jpg (87.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 09:31 PM

You know, great job! I was looking in the upper right corner of the original and was wondering what you were going to do with that issue. I like what you did to solve that problem.

I only have one comment and that would be regarding the b&w after image. This may be personal preference (yours) or it may have been client-driven but I do like the sepia tone of the original. It would have been nice to see a slightly toned version of the restore.

Just my $.02, take it or leave it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 AM

Believe it or not, the restored version does have some brown/sepia in it, but I think I'm having issues in my Adobe RGB - sRGB conversion.

The JPG that was saved for the web in sRGB has badly blocked up shadow areas and looks far more grey than the PSD or TIFF versions that are saved in Adobe RGB.

Not sure whats up with that.

Thanks for the input!

And yes, that corner was strange. I tried for a while to duplicate the original backdrop with plants in it but ultimately decided to ditch them - WAY easier!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help