RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need a hand please

Old 02-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Need a hand please

I'm embarking on my second real restoration and need some assistance with a specific problem.

In this photo:

http://www.pbase.com/grendel2000/ima...32626/original

There is a very "dirty" quality in the whites of the dresses. Is this best dealt with with Neat Image, or a simmilar program, or will I need to go after it manually?

Obviously I'll do all of the faces and other detail areas by hand, as well as the obvious damed areas, but I'm looking for an easier way to deal with so many widespread problems in the white dresses.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 02:25 PM

RE: Need a hand please

I would like to take a crack at it.
Do I have your permission to post it on my website as an example of my work?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel2000
I'm embarking on my second real restoration and need some assistance with a specific problem.
widespread problems in the white dresses.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Patron

Hi Grendel,
The blue channel has pretty good contrast and the damage is well defined where it shows up. I would therefore apply the Blue channel to the image and then apply a levels adjust to move the highlight slider toward the center to compress the histogram. At this point using Neat Image will clean up a lot of the small noise - see the attachment. I would take two snapshots, before and after use of neat image so that you can go back with the history brush after what comes next.
Apply Photoshop dust & scratches filter will remove a lot of the tiny black spots which Neat Image was not supposed to remove anyway.
Next I would duplicate one of the channels and boost the contrast to make a mask. This will allow you to selects all of the black spots and scratches You can select them all at once and load the mask. You can then use the Clone Stamp with a soft brush to swipe over broad areas. Because only the dark spot are selected and every thing else is masked, you will only affect the damaged areas,
When you are all done, you can use one of the two history states and the history brush to restore any detail in the faces that was over blurred previously.
There are a lot of people in this image and their faces will be the subject of viewer focus. Therefore you probably do not need to worry about over blurring the dresses.
This one is definitely a lot of work, but should look great when it is complete.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SlawskiWedding Grendel2000 MM B+NI.jpg (90.3 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
. I would therefore apply the Blue channel to the image and then apply a levels adjust to move the highlight slider toward the center to compress the histogram.

I'm not sure what you mean here about applying the blue channel to the image, could you elaborate please?

Thanks for the help!

And Frank, thanks for the offer, but I have designs on starting this as a side business and would like to use the image myself if it comes out well. Therefore I would prefer that others not use it as an example.

I really appreciate the interest however, and you are more than welcome to play with it for practice if you would like to (obviously).

Thanks again, and thanks for understanding...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Patron

Hi Grendel,
The object is to use only the Blue Channel of your image as the base for your restoration. There are a number of ways to do this. A very effective way to do this is to use Photoshop's Image>Apply Image command. When the dialog box comes up, you simply select the Blue channel as the source, leave the Blend mode Normal and the opacity 100%. This action will replace every channel in your image with the Blue channel. If you plan to colorize your image later, you should leave the image as an RGB with 3 channels. If you plan to leave the image in B&W, then you can just do Image>Mode>Grayscale. This will throw out two of the layers just leaving one which will reduce your file size by 2/3.
If you have never used the Apply Image command, you may want to try it because in addition to applying layers to an image you can have multiple images open and you can apply any layer of any image to any other layer of an other open image.
Notwithstanding all of the above, if you do not feel comfortable using Apply Image, you can get to the same starting base in other ways. For example, you can open the Channels palettte of the original image and just delete the red and green channels leaving only the blue one. You can also use the Image>Adjust>Channel Mixer. When the dialog box opens, you check the Monochrome box, then drag the Red & Green sliders to 0 and set the blue slider to 100%.
I hope this clarifies it but if you have any additional questions, please let us know.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 07:33 PM

I understand. I'll not post the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel2000
And Frank, thanks for the offer, but I have designs on starting this as a side business and would like to use the image myself if it comes out well.
Thanks again, and thanks for understanding...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks for understanding.

I don't mind is you post a version here (although I certainly understand if you don't). I would just prefer to eliminate the possibility that someone see the picture in multiple restoration sites as an example of work produced- it might lend the wrong idea.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Well, this thread seems to be petering out in a discussion about channels. That wasn't my intention when I posted it, but I appreciate the replies.

Thanks so much to each of you who have contributed so far.

In hopes of getting back on topic I'll ask again, more specifically, what I need help with in hopes that someone has a great technique...

In the picture I can handle the spots and scratches just fine (with lots of time and effort). My problem is with the whites in the picture. Both the dresses and the shirts have a very mottled and grainy appearance without much detail. I'm looking for a way to smooth them out so that the end result is:

- not noisy
- looks like a clean white shirt/dress
- contains some degree of detail - the more that can be restored the better.
- looks natural in the picture

As it stands right now it looks like they've been rubbing soot on themselves.

My ony thought at this point is to make a new pattern from a clean chunk in the picture somewhere and use the healing brush with that pattern instead of the normal sampled use of the tool. That might even things out some.

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 03:30 AM

I first duplicated the image and ran noise reduction on it--careful to have the noise filter only sample the dirty crud on the dresses and faces.

Then I did some sharpening--unsharp mask, radius 3, strength ~80, and highpass radius 1.5, strength 100, blend mode soft light.

The NR step converts the dirty "noise" into a fairly even grey. So I effectively remove this by applying a curve that brightens that range of the colors without increasing contrast over that same range. The attachment shows what this curve looks like along with the layer palette. Possible alternatives: try playing with the tool for setting the black and white points or any manual color correction tools for possibly similar effect.

At this point the highlights looked too yellow, so I added a color balance layer and slid the yellow/blue slider towards blue for highlights.

That's it. No masking or brushing--I didn't touch the scratches and marks since you said you could deal with that. If you want to make these changes selectively, it's easy enough to use a mask and selectively remove the changes. The strength of the NR is also something you'd want to experiment with to suite your taste--I just used the default settings for expediency.

I uploaded the full image to this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/cleanup_dresses.jpg

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bright_dress_layers.jpg (69.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Bart,

Thanks so much for the help!

Which programs adid you use for this? Particularly, which noise reduction?

I've been using Neat Image on it with very mixed results. I like the look you've gotten, but even after multiple passes with NI (I know multiple passes are not a good thing - I'm just trying whatever I can to get the noise level down) it still remains grainy.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help