RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old wrinklee!!

Old 02-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Old wrinklee!!

My old brain has been well addled with trying to restore this old photo. I am trying with PSP but it ends up worse than the original image. Is there anyone that can help me? I would be most grateful.
Vastrida
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 PM

hi vastrida,

welcome to RP.

you've got 3 main problems with this picture, the half that's fading, the out of focus and the smudge/dirt/spot damage.

generally, the first thing i do with images like this is to get as much detail showing first as possible. this gives you a little more definition and can make things easier for the rest of it. try contrast/brightness, curves, usm, high pass sharpen, sharpen, sharpen more and any other type tools/filters you may have. you dont need a lot. you just want to bring more definition there without adding a lot of sharpening marks (more noise).

and because of the blueish-greenish tint/cast, i'd probably desaturate next. just make it a black and white, but dont change it to grayscale. i use a plugin called Fast Fix for this.

next, i think i'd probably try to even up the shading. a mask or selection on the upper half with a contrast/brightness applied to that might do it.

for the smudge/dirt/spec/spot damage, since you have psp, use the digital noise removal tool. use this to get rid of the easy stuff first. dont try to do it all with this. just get the small, easy stuff.

after that, it's time for some hand work. clone, smudge, push are all great tools for getting rid of spots and damage. make a new blank raster layer over your existing layers. check the 'use all layers' box. this puts all changes make with smudge, push, and clone ON your blank layer rather than altering an existing layer. since that layer is on the top, the changes will show through and seemingly correct the other layers. very handy way of doing this.

that's a general plan. your steps may need to vary as you work. you may also want to look at programs or plugins that do 'convolution/deconvolution' to try and get more focus. or, you can try things like 'focus magic', which is a de-blurring program. other sharpening tools are things like '7 band sharpen', a plugin or, stroker's 'lum frequencies'. these all may or may not help.

post some results when you get them. be brave; we dont bite too much

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 PM

good advice above...i got it to this point with some of those steps (although in PSCS) I also corrected the tilt. This is very crude retouching, but just wanted to see what could be done in a brief time...could be made a lot better with some more meticulous work and a larger starting file. Best of luck-- bringing old photos back to life is always a challenge.

-Kate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand-dadweb.jpg (95.0 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 AM

Here's a PSP attempt

General steps: looks like a lot but it's only about 10 minutes. If I had any artistic ability I'd probably spend more time really fixing the man's face:

1. For the top fading, I sampled some color in the black area, inverted that color, and painted that color on a new blank layer with blend mode set to burn to remove the fading. I tweaked the hue, saturation, and lightness of this color until it gave a good result (also had to adjust the opacity of the burn layer.

2. Copy-merge, paste as new layer. There was a slight line between the upper formerly-faded portion and the lower portion, so I used the scratch remover on that.

3. Created another blank layer and used the clone tool to fix some of the blotches/scratches/etc...

4. Create another blank layer set to multiply mode specifically to fix the grey blotch over the man's mouth. Area was too small for a regular clone.

5. Created a channel mixer, monochrome box checked, coefficients set to 30,59,11. Because there's really no color info in the original, you could have used an HSL layer and turned down the saturation for the same effect.

6. Copy merge, paste as new layer. Run noise removal--careful to sample good patches of noise on his coat.

7. High-pass sharpen--radius 2.5, strength 100, overlay blend.

I attached the result and the layer palette--workflow is from bottom to top.

I would have sharpened it more except the original has very jagged edges already--possibly bayer-interpolation artifacts from the scanner?

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig1_old_wrinkled.jpg (38.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg fig2_palette.jpg (30.3 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 01:52 AM

Hi Vastrida,

I also had a quick go at your picture ....

Craig listed the problems perfectly .... Like kate I straightened your picture, I used the Curves to balance the faded area and shadows and highlights .. Heal brush to remove some of the spots and lightly sharpened it ...

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Grand-dad.jpg (97.8 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 03:14 AM

Red face Thanks!!

Many thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. Can anybody suggest how I make the face clearer?
Vastrida.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 PM

because of the size of the face, i use the 'push' brush/tool on these. it's all hand work, zoomed in, with light opacity to only change small bits at a time. even the best noise/damage remover/correcter is either going to smudge this pretty badly or not do the job. so hand work all the way for me.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help