Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Older To Younger

Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Question Older To Younger

Someone asked me if it was possible to take a portrait of someone in their 30s and then provide a series of portraits back for each decade right back to childhood.

I've knocked a few years off of people, but I've never encountered a request like that before.

I've seen age progression, but never age regression.

Any tips, suggestions, or tutorials? I don't have a portrait to post since it was only asked if I could do it, but now that I've had it asked-- I'm curious to know how easy or difficult such a thing could be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Well I guess it shouldn't be any harder than age progression. Fill out cheeks, smooth wrinkles, rounder eyes for the first few years back. (For baby boomers, you might have to add sideburns and bell-bottoms )

Then as you hit childhood, smoother smaller nose, shorter limbs, longer torso, smaller hands, bigger head, face smaller and rounder relative to head, higher forehead, smaller jaw, etc... Probably involves some warp brushing. Probably some artist or child-development book might give you the whole run down on what makes a human look like a kid rather than just a miniature adult.

The thing about age progression is nobody can say if you're wrong--at least not yet. With regression, the correct answer is presumably already known since it already happened.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 AM

I think it would be really hard to do a realistic regression considering so many skeletal features change as we get older.

You might want to check out Doug's thread about the St. Andrews Face Morphing Engine. It's not all that realistic, but it sure is fun:

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2006, 12:20 PM
well, here's a thought in possibly how to study this idea. take a recent picture with a pose similar to a pose in an older picture of yourself and do a morph on the two. break the resultant .gif animation down into the individual cells and there you do. that would give you some interesting hints on how to progress with other images.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to see what I might be able to come up with-- it's certainly a challenging idea to follow through on.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help