Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Removing blue cast and bring out color

Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 PM
So I’m looking for a recipe to reduce some of the blue haze.
the recipe here is fairly simple, color balance or channel mixer followed by contrast/brightness. i used color balance. i just find it easier to work with. this tended to darken the image a bit, so i followed it up with contrast/brightness.

i'm not posting my rendition. you took the pictures. you were there. so, only you know what they truly shld look like. anyone that's never been diving has a tendency to over-correct for the blue. i've been diving in southeast asia and hawaii, but that was a long while ago. and waters differ. also, the camera lies at times, especially underwater. the next time you go, try some color filters on the lens. a proper filter can correct some of what you're running into. ever watch a documentary on PBS or the National Geographic channel and ever notice the clarity of their images? filters and lighting!

if you work with the color balance tool, start with the shadows and cut the blue in half. do the same with the midtones and highlights. then, go back to shadows and increase the red by about 50% and do the same on the midtones and highlights. from there you'll have to tweak to taste. i found a bit too much green still and corrected some for that, but like i said earlier, you took the pictures, so you'll have the best idea of how to proceed from there. and, even with the 'preserve luminosity' turned on, you'll find the image still wants to go dark, particularly when you adjust the green downwards and that's why i followed with a contrast/brightness layer.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 11:15 AM

You guys are amazing. Thanks so much for you help. I think I can figure it out from here. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help