Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Make Me Blonde! (or other colour)

Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 AM

I selected her hair and copied it to a new layer where I set the blend mode to screen. Then I flattened it and selected the still pink areas and copied it to it's own layer then went to Image>Adjustment>Hue/Saturation and, with colorized checked, changed it to a yellow tone. I flattened the layers and Alt clicked the Add New Layer icon and in the dialog box set the blend mode to Color Dodge and checked the Fill with 50% gray box..... using a soft white brush at low opacity, enhanced the highlights..... I blurred this and adjusted the opacity then flattened the layers again...... after all that I hit Ctrl + J and ran the top layer thru Namesuppressed softening filter and lowered the opacity of that layer and flattened it all.

Oh yow ....... gave her a few more brows ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Make-Me-Blond.jpg (75.6 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Thank you everyone

just to let you know, the model is very impressed with your work (as am I) and is staying right away from the platinum hair dye, lol

Although she is now considering the pink!

Thanks also for pointing out what you did, where and how, so that I, a newbie to the world of a photo being more than it may appear, can learn
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
ok, i took another shot at this. since your friend seems to be considering changing her hair color, i went looking for something i liked. what i used was her skin tones and tried to complement those as best i could. i also ran some noise reduction, darkened her lip color and cleaned up the background a bit.

the technique i used here is one i was taught by a professional photographer/editor. he used to work for Maxim magazine and is now freelance. the technique is simplicity itself.

make a new blank layer. fill it with the desired color, change the blend mode to 'color' or 'hue'. erase the parts of the fill that dont apply to the area you want changed. on the fringes of the area, generally you set your eraser to a low opacity to allow for blending along the fringes and into the background. what's left on the layer will be what you want to change. by using tools and filters you can then also change the color again very easily to whatever you wish.

i took a sample of her hair color to use as the fill and went just a shade or two lighter with it and then filled the blank layer. erased what i didnt want to change, and used both the 'hue map' and 'hue/saturation' tools to alter it a bit more. very simple. very fast and very manipulatable for changes later, if desired.

for some reason i had quit using this method, but i'm back with it now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg before-2-k-1.jpg (97.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help