Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old 03-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Printer Issue

If he approved the online version but didn't like the hard copies it sounds like you might have a printing issue where the printer is significantly darkening your image. In that case you will have to compensate for the printer by lightening the image to the point where, though it may not look good on screen, it should print closer to what you see on screen. Unless you're a pro at monitor calibration and printer profiles for black and white images you may just want to run a test with several small lightened versions of the image or portions of the image. Just make sure to select a portion of the image with significant light and dark information (see attachment). Also make sure to note what you did to lighten each portion so that when you find the one that works best you can do the same thing to the entire photograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (64.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Hi Pepper,

Attached is a quick version to see if you think something like this would satisfy your client in regards to the darks. Unfortunately many lay people don't understand when something is "almost" impossible. I always get a kick out of people who think photoshop users can 'remove' the actual clothing someone is wearing to reveal their skin underneath, like the trick glasses sold in comic books about 30 years ago.

The attachment was done with a combination of dodge & burn and painting. If you think it might work, then you should consider trying it.

Dodge & burn is an obvious one. (I use a different technique for this than most people - you can read about it in a tutorial I made which is on this site, but I don't have the link.)

With dodge and burn, however, you'll have to dodge in places where you're not really sure there's anything. In other words, you'll have to make it up as you go since there's not much in the darks.

To help with the illusion you can paint in the fabric. For example, put a dab of white paint where a pant crease might be, then do one smooth quick stroke with the smudge tool. You'll get a good-looking pant crease. In other areas, like his socks, you might have to find out what a baseball sock looks like back in those days. I don't know, so I guessed.

There's certainly no easy solution.

good luck,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detroit16 copy.jpg (96.1 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Turned out to be a challenge,huh?

that wasn't my intent.
Thanks Goose442, Mig, and everyone else.
Client approved image in his email, then he printed it out on his Laser about 7.5 X 10 inches. Original is 11X14 and looks like it was "copied" on a Zerox.
3 whole tones to work with 0,127 and 255 what more could you want; the entire range.
I think this is going to be chalked up to experience, because I know I could not recoup the time to create details using Mig's Dodge and Burn tech. In fact I am already in the "hole" timewise.
I really appreciate all the help, Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
still learning
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I am surprised no one asked this...why didn't the owner let you have the original to work on?? How can you do any kind of quality work with a copy? I think you went over above and beyond to try and do quality work for this client. Can the client expect more with you using a copy which is laminated to boot! Just my late 2 cents worth!! Neb
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help