RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Suggestions

Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 AM

Suggestions

Hello out there in Retouch-land,
Trying to restore this image. It is a laminated copy of the original. The owner won't let me see original, but "assures" me that this copy is the same.
Owner wants more detail from the dark areas, such as around the legs.
I gave him 5 copys of one version he approved online, but he didn't like the hard copies. I don't blame him, not good.
How can I get more detail from these dark areas?
Thanks
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detroit15.jpg (73.9 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Welcome aboard. The image you posted is pretty small. Could you post a larger one? It looks like a curves adjustment layer would do the trick for you, but with a larger image, we can give you more help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 09:43 AM

Mask all the dark areas you wish to retouch, then open the Levels window (Ctrl+L) And if the curve of the left it's a high mountain, then you have details and can work on them (Attachment 1). Just move the center triangle to the left and your detail will appear.

If your image does not show a high mountain, you need to scan again until you get it.

Other thing that you may do (artistically) it's to use the Dodge and Burn tool on the areas you wish to increasse (press O key) You can paint the highlights, shadows and medium tones, in bought, so please try this tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg high curves.jpg (51.1 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM

Try again

Hello Ed L.
here is another attempt.
how is this one?? I am attempting to follow the upload hints / tips of Jeanie but am having limited success.
Please let me know
Thanks
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detroit16.jpg (96.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks

Ed L and studioj,
I will continue to explore more.
I apprecate your advice.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Can't see you getting too much of an improvement here Larry, the detail just isn't there.

Curves adjustments may bring a slight improvement, but at the expense of more noise in the picture. Remove the noise and you lose detail. You're in a lose, lose situation.

Truth is the picture really doesn't have any detail to begin with. In my opinion the customers desires are not realistic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Agree

Hello Gary R.
I agree with you about the detail just not there.
Before posting I had been working on this project without any great success.
After posting I again tried Levels and Curve Layer adjustments and I just turned the black into a milky grey.
Thanks for looking and responding.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 PM

You're welcome.

Could be that one of the other members may know a technique to improve things, but I think it's more likely that you'll have to explain the limitations of photo retouching to your client.

Good luck either way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 03:15 PM

i have to agree with gary. the detail just isnt there. this is a case of the photograph not being taken correctly to begin with. the blacks are so close in numbers as to be inseparable for contrasting purposes. when you lighten or contrast, regardless of technique, you just get zero separation. it's all just a monotone blob.

i tried splitting into rgb, cmyk, and hsl. the results were almost all the same... not workable. the green channel was the best in rgb and the magenta in cmyk, but both still lacked the detail necessary.

i also ran Stroker's lum frequencies on this and still no good. curves, levels, contrast all came up short.

now, i find this all a bit moot or mis-directed anyways. the image isnt their pants; it's their faces and uniforms. the realistic retouch/restore is to clean and enhance those areas. it's good image and well worth preserving, but unrealistic to try to make a mostly solid black into separate shades showing detail on an insignificant part of the image.

now, if your client is just really dead set on having it his way, i'd recommend finding an artist who could realistically recreate the pants detail by drawing them in.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I don't see any way to bring out detail. But..........Flora hasn't been here yet.

Flora, if you can get this one, you are more than a genius. Yes, I know you're gonna try!

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help