RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

See through hair!

Old 12-22-2001, 10:36 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
See through hair!

Here is a shot of one of my grandsons in front of our fireplace. The original was in the same location, but my daughter was behind him and needed to be removed. So I took another shot of the fireplace, removed him from the original photo, and placed him on the new fireplace image. To remove him from the original, I used quick mask to make the selection. When I put it on the new image, everything looked okay except that you could see part of the fireplace through his hair. I decided to select the hair, and make a new layer via selection. That made it look right, but when I merged down, it was as if I deleted the newly made layer. Different blending modes don't help. Any ideas as to why any of this happened? Is there a way to flatten the image, and have the hair look good? I can live with it the way it is by printing the layered image, but I'm wondering.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ben_hair_web.jpg (91.0 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 11:01 AM

You might try flattening, then selecting the hair (save selection), layer via copy, set blending mode to multiply,flatten and touch up with clone brush,load mask, layer via copy, set blending mode to darken and play with opacity slider, flatten when satisfied. I tried this and the result is attached, neat little kid!!! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 12:04 PM

That made it look right, but when I merged down, it was as if I deleted the newly made layer.

I think I know what you're talking about here. I don't know why this happens. When it happens to me I turn off all the layers I don't need (for that moment) and then go to Merge>Visible. This will merge layers down and keep things looking as you want them.

To select your son, you might consider using the pen tool to trace him, making it a rough trace where you can get away with it, so that plenty of pixels outside the perimeter of his body is also included in the selection. Turn the path into a selection by dragging the path to one of those icons at the bottom of the Path Pallette. Then copy/paste the selection to a new layer or to the other file, or, drag the contents of the new layer into the other file.
Lower the opacity of this layer so you can see thru it and position him. Then turn the opacity back up and add a layer mask and paint away what you don't want, or, carefully use the eraser. All's left would be to clean up any subtle evidence that the picture was faked.

This is the way I'd do it anyway. I'd be curious to see the original with the two kids. I'm also curious if the fireplace was more or less the same in both pictures, with xmas decorations, etc.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 12:08 PM

Thanks Tom. The result looks good. Unfortunately, my composition is lacking, so I'll probably do a little more on it. I appreciate the help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 07:33 PM

Thumbs down

Ed
That happens to me too. I merged layers recently with some fancy type on it and the type changed appearance when I did. It was frustrating and even though I got it corrected, I'm still not sure exactly what I did.

As for you composition, it's great. I thought he was in that scene and you had cut out his mother. So I was surprised to find out you put him there.

One detail more you might consider to add even more realism to it. Follow the way the window and fireplace reflect in the shiny floor and do the same for him. It took a lot of staring to see that so that says how good a job you did.

He is such an adorable little guy. Looks like the kind of fellow you want to grab and cuddle til he giggles like crazy.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 08:59 PM

Debbie,

Thanks for the good eye and your comments. I just got back to the forum, and I didn't see the posts from you or Mig until now. The photo has been re-worked. I think the composition is much better now, although the bright window does bother me a little. And I think the reflection you mentioned would also be a help.

Mig,

Thanks for the comments. I decided to re-work the photo, and I did it pretty much like you suggested even though I didn't see your post (although I used the lasso instead of the pen). I'll come back to post a jpg version of the original, but for now, here's the final.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ben_12-20-01.jpg (84.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 09:11 PM

Here's the original, complete with the reflections that Debbie mentioned.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ben_orig.jpg (76.1 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 10:36 PM

Ed
I definately think you did the right thing since she is only half in the photo it takes away from him. That is such a great photo of the little guy. A real keeper and I like the background with the fireplace. Really frames him well. When was this taken? Curious as to how old he is now.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2001, 11:10 PM

Good job, Ed. It looks completely believable
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2001, 06:54 AM

Good job Ed, nicely composed.

I am sure in real life that little boy would have a lot of fun messing around with the snow village houses. Seems to be the perfect age for it.

PS - I love the sign in front of the fireplace about what happens to those who don't believe!

Happy Holidays - Carl
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help