RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I'm Stumped

Old 03-05-2006, 02:04 AM

I've got a tablet I just don't have any mathematical ability to make up for my lack of artistic talent
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Patron

I'm Stumped

Well I didn't spend a lot of time on the initial retouch. The dirtiness came from my adding noise to his right forehead area. Terminator R eye came from some paint I used on the eye. This time on the face I went to lab right off the bat and used color samplers on each side of his forehead and using a curves adjustment layer I moved the numbers on the right to the left. On top of that layer I used another curves adjustment layers to remove some yellow. I had to use masks to get it somewhat close.

Finally to remove noise of which there was a lot I used neat image and a soft focus technique.

Result? Well I guess its better than when it started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheFace1.jpg (20.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 03:18 PM

Hi imann08,

I had a go at this picture working first on the whole image, then on the 'face'. I did practically the same in both cases ...

*loosely selected around the faded area and feathered the selection

*With the selection still active (marching ants around it) I created a new blank Layer on top of the background.

*Working on the newly created Layer, I filled the selection with Black and set the Layer's Blending to Soft Light.

*After that it was a few 'Blank Layer set to ..' as described in my Tutorial .. see a snapshot of my workflow (Attachment 1)

*Neat Image to reduce the noise ... (the free version can be downloaded here )

*Curves to reduce the light cyan colour cast

* Blur Tool (40% Opacity) to selectively minimize the remaining noise.

(Attachment 2) The whole picture.
(Attachment 3) The face only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0150.jpg (97.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg F_lnk2.jpg (99.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg F_Face.jpg (99.2 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 PM

The create-new-layer technique is a great one--it's broadly applicable. I even create a new blank layer for using the healing brush--just check the "sample all layers" box and all of the healing happens on the new blank layer without touching the original.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 06:03 PM

this is a variation of the mirror technique. you make a selection of the good area and make a new image and mirror it. then copy it back onto the area desired and erase the bits you dont want and use any applicable blend mode and varying opacities to blend the mirrored section onto the full image.

i say it's a variation because i first rotated the whole image 50 degrees to the right. and when placing the mirror i used the 'pick' tool to align it along with a lowered opacity so i could see the background.

tricky image.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Face-4-k-1.jpg (93.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 AM

Philbach: That is definitely better than the first one you did. It was clear that you didn't give it much time on the first one. I have gotten a good idea of what you know on this board and it was obvious that the first was just a skim. I think you are the one who gave me the idea of Neat Image originally and I have gotten it since then and have enjoyed it a lot. I will most likely purchase the full version soon. I want to try Noise Ninja before I do so though. I was quite impressed with Neat Image though.

Flora: Amazing! You took a completely different approach to this than others did and I think that you are the only one that stayed in RGB if I am assuming correctly. Even though I couldn't come up with a solution to this problem we are referring to as a photograph, I am pretty comfortable with almost all the options that PS has to offer in ways to solve problems. I have dealt with one way or another at some point. Therefore, I am well aware of the blank layer approach and utilizing layer blends, opacity, and masks to accomplish a goal. My problem is that, do to my lack of experience, I am often not able to come up with what solution to use or, better yet, what combination of solutions to use to solve a problem. This is a perfect example of that lack of experience showing through. I'll probably want to talk more about this process with you if you wouldn't mind some time.

Bart: As I just stated to Flora, I am well aware of the blank layer and using the select all layers to make corrections without touching the original. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Kraellin: The main problem I see with this approach is that you get a different expression on his face. He looks like he's got to go real bad. LOL I've read in a couple other books that this method, while appealing, is not recommended for reasons such as this.

Overall: I'm kinda glad that I threw this image on here. It's a real test I think and I think the lunatics on this board, not unlike myself, chomp at the bit to take a stab at it. It's fun if it isn't a job with money involved. Thanks a bunch to everyone who put some effort into it. I'm always interested in anyone else's attempts as well. Have I mentioned what a cool board this is? lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 12:47 AM

I figured that since you guys have put in all the effort your have with this that I might as well embarrass myself and show you where I was before I posted this thread. I can't remember what I did with it specifically as I must have tossed the psd out of anger or something. All I had was a jpg of it. The dark halo around it was just an attemp to cover some unimportant stuff but that didn't work too well. Anyways, remember that this was before this thread and not based on everyone's advice. Laugh away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 12:50 AM

One more thing Flora. I was impressed with the detail you grabbed out of his shirt on the left side. I thought that had been officially blown out. At least it looked that way to me. Oh, and I want the ability to attach 1mb images and post more than one message every 90 seconds. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 02:12 PM

Thank you so much for your kindness imann08!

... and yes, I stayed in RGB ... I usually do and change mode only if I think it's absolutely necessary ... .... I sense a lot of disapproving glares ... but that's it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imann08
I was impressed with the detail you grabbed out of his shirt on the left side.
... When I worked on the whole image, before you posted the face only, I used a Shadow/Highlight Adjustment (available from PS CS onward) to tone down the lighter areas ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM

didnt like the mirrored look, eh? well, that's ok; i tend to agree. small differences in a face go a very long way.

ok, this one is mainly air brush, smudge, clone and push.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Face-5-k-1a.jpg (95.0 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help