Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I'm Stumped

Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Craig,

the 'mirror' thechnique is really great and I use it a lot as well ... (btw, for your 'translation' book, PS users might call it the 'copy-flip-paste' technique) .... but the part I try to stear very clear of when using it are exactly the eyes because, if you are not very, very accurate you usually get a 'cross-eyed' person as a result.

When it comes to work on a faded or partially damaged eye, I usually try to reconstruct or add consistency to the 'original eye' ... but if the eye is missing completely and there is no choice but ... then I've had acceptable results by splitting this technique in two steps ... meaning .... 'mirror' and paste the whole thing just as you did and adapt it to its new place, cover the pupil in the pasted part with the same colour of the eye white, copy the inside of the good eye and paste it on the previously pasted part without flipping it ... If you pasted both copied parts on their own Layers, you can then move them around and transform them until you get a more 'natural' look ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 07:21 AM

thank you.

like you, i dont usually like to use mirroring and like you, especially on the eyes. basically, on that image i just got a bit lazy. i first rotated the image 50 degrees to the right. i then made a new blank layer and set my clone to 100% and went over the whole side of his face that had good texture and color. i cleaned up the new cloned in part (including the eye) and made a new image of it. i mirrored this new image and then made a new layer on the original image and pasted this cloned part onto that, only onto the other side of his face. i used the 'pick' tool to align the eye of the cloned area to the eye on the original. i then simply erased the bits that didnt belong.

the idea was really to get the texture copied over from one side to the other. when i noticed how much better the one eye came out in the clone, i just decided to try to keep it. in doing it again, i think i'd just leave cloning the eye out and do it like you suggest, rebuild the existing one.

actually, come to think of it, i may have just made a freehand selection of the texture rather than clone and mirrored that. heh... i tried a number of things, but the idea was to get the skin texture/color copied over to the 'bad' side.

and yes, separating the pupil out would make sense and avoid that cross-eyed effect. good tip

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help