RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I'm Stumped

Old 03-04-2006, 11:29 AM

I'm Stumped

I have worked on this image for a while on and off and have been unable to get rid of the window glare and get it looking decent enough to show you people here. I have some pride. LOL Anyways, I'm sure it's just an issue of me not knowing the right way to approach it so I figured I see what anyone here could do with it. Sorry about the poor quality of the image but I couldn't help that. It's a picture of my friends on their wedding day taken by someone with one of those disposable cameras I'm sure. Anyways, if anyone wants to give it a try and tell me what they did then I'd be indebted to you at least until wednesday.

Thanks
Isaac
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 11:34 AM

Could you use the crop tool on his face to post it in a larger file?

I mean, keep the 100kb size, but just his face
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Patron

Window Glare

Well I first used a levels adjustment layer on the whole picture. Then dealt with the window glare. I switched to lab and used a curves adjustment layer and matched numbers on the the left side of his forhead to the glared right side of the forehead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lnk5.jpg (27.1 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 05:41 PM

There's just the face
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
Well I first used a levels adjustment layer on the whole picture. Then dealt with the window glare. I switched to lab and used a curves adjustment layer and matched numbers on the the left side of his forhead to the glared right side of the forehead.
Hey Phil. I think that I tried something very similar to that but was having trouble with the fact that the right side of his face is so close to neutral that I think I was screwing up the rest of the image when I did anything with the right side. I tried isolating that area but when I did that I ended up with two sides of the image that just didn't match well. The other area that I was concerned with is his tee on the upper left torso/left arm. The white in that area has been blown out and no definition is left to be retained as far as I see.

I know you didn't put a whole lot of time into this and I may be looking at things that you didn't even consider but his face looks a bit dirty in your image compared to the color of the original. This appears on both sides and not just the corrected side. I'm not sure if you isolated the right side or not. Also, his right eye looks terminator like. Understand that I am not criticizing at all but maybe looking for a reason why. With LAB it seems as though I couldn't correct one area without destroying another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Patron

Glare

The first thing I did was take the image into LAB. If you select the L channel and Image>Apply Image to apply the L to itself inverted in overlay mode at 50%, you will neutralize significantly the difference in lightness between the left side and the rest of the image. Next I placed an Eyedropper sample on the good cheek and one on the blue side. I used a curve to then make the sample on the blue side match the good side. That makes the face pretty even in color on both sides. The hair will not match but 3 or 4 zaps with the stamp tool can fix that. There is a ton of color noise in the image, moreso on the damaged side than the other. I did not have much more time to fine tune things so I smoothed it out a little with Noise Ninja. Still needs some work but it seemed to be moving in the right direction.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Face Glare Rev MM.jpg (92.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 AM

Not a bad attempt there. I like what you results were and what you did. I'm still playing around with neat image. I haven't gotten to noise ninja as of yet. I do like Neat Image so far though. Very impressive. I was hoping this picture would give some of you some problems. If nothing else it makes me feel better that I'm not asking some easy "fix it in 2 minutes" type of question. It would help if the image was in better shape though. Unfortunately, that's how I got it. Probably scanned on a regular scanner and not a photo scanner. I figured it would be a test for some of you guys and in that aspect it fun in a challenging sort of way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 12:52 AM

I tried the color transform method I described previously here:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...15013#poststop

I took my two before/after samples from his eyes (one from whites and one from pupils) and this time I used Photoshop which makes the task slightly easier with the color sampler tool, but the procedure is identical to what I described for PSP.

The first attachment shows what I get from that. Notice that there is a lot of noise in the recovered area of the photo--that's because the reflection removed quite a lot of color information and this method effectively removes the extraneous color (the window reflection) and amplifies the remaining desired color information which also amplifies the noise.

The second attachment is what it looks like after using some NR (Paintshop Pro for this part), smart-sharpening, and healing.

I didn't really spend any time color-matching the background--it's interesting that there is something light blue in the background that coincides with the window reflection.

One of the features I like about this technique is it objectively informs me whether there is actually any information to be recovered or if it's been completely destroyed and will have to be replaced. In this case, there was still a decent amount of information left undestroyed by the window reflection.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig1_remove_window_glare_fr.jpg (68.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg fig2_remove_window_glare_fr.jpg (57.0 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 01:03 AM

That looks interesting. I'll have to take some time to go over what you explained as it doesn't register right off the bat as the others do. It came out well though. This is one messed up photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imann08
That looks interesting. I'll have to take some time to go over what you explained as it doesn't register right off the bat as the others do. It came out well though. This is one messed up photo.
It's very mathematical--partially compensates for my lack of artistic ability. I will also add that I have a pen tablet that makes it easier to brush in the area needing transforming.

Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help