RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Water or sun damaged

Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Water or sun damaged

Hi everyone. I've lurked here for quite a while, picking up general tips and tutorials for simple fixes for pictures of my kids, but I've never really done anything this extensive.

This photo album was found at my father in laws business after he passed away and my mother in law would like to know if there's anything I can do to repair them. This goes into a realm of retouching I'm not very familiar with, but knowing my way around a few graphics programs and working with a few suggestions here should put me on the right path. Hopefully.

All the pictures in the album have the same fading problems, so I'll only upload one as an example.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (77.4 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 AM

Counting 60 views so far and no help at all. That tells me that either the pictures are hopeless, or nobody here knows enough about repair/retouching to help me.

It would be nice to know, either way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM

hehe, yes, you'll see that often. 60 views and no comments. i almost commented on it yesterday.

the image is in VERY poor shape. i looked at it twice, in fact, and both times i went, 'oh man...too much blown out white'. when an image gets like this with all that white space or 'blown out' whites, it's very difficult to fix easily. filters and tools just wont do it. all filters rely on differences in the image. with so much white there just arent enough differences to work with very well. it's sort of like the old joke of painting a polar bear in a snow storm...everything's white.

it's also out of focus and that just complicates it even more. i'd be asking myself just how much time and effort i wanted to put in on these. you can make out the buildings and you can make out a bit about the folks in the foreground, but the people in the background are not recoverable.

now, that's not to say that you cant improve things a bit. there is some stuff in there to work with, but for a good restoration you're talking about a LOT of hand work and a LOT of guessing to fill in the missing areas. and i'm guessing that's why others have passed this up also.

i'll take a look at it again later on. i've got some errands to run first.

craig

Last edited by Craig Walters; 03-06-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 02:50 PM

Thanks. That's all I wanted to know. I didn't think there would be much to be done about it, either.

This was just one image to show an example of the kind of problem these pictures have. I should have said that the blurring isn't the problem, but the discoloration is. There are several kinds of photos of their family in the album and they all have the same problem. One is even of ice sculptures their family made when my wife was little. THAT one, I'm positive, is lost. It is the definitive polar bear in a snowstrom! White sculptures on a badly faded picture.

This album was found under a shelf with plants on it in a south facing window. The odds were very slim.

Thanks for replying, at least.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Hi Boyoboy.
Welcome to RetouchPro.

I think Craig mentioned all the problems with this picture. But on top of all the problems this picture seems to contain no significant subject matter worthy of restoration.

However if you are looking for a method for other pictures, then I think Craig is correct again.

I just painted over the damage and adjusted the exposure. It took less than 20mins. Could do a better job with more time.

If you have more like this then you may get a better response (and more ideas/methods) if you post a better subject.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Image1.jpg (97.7 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 03:30 PM

ok, ran my errands and i see ken has done one here too. i think ken's is going to be fairly representative of what you could expect of a restoration effort. i did one too and i'll attach it.

now, i did notice when working on this that this seems to be of a parade...somewhere. maybe in a small midwest town? dont know. but i can make out a float and it also explains why folks are lining the edge of the street.

so, perhaps there is something here worth saving. only you could answer that. just dont expect miracles on these. they are pretty far gone.

and like ken, i didnt take as much time on this as i would for a full, careful restore; just enough to give you some idea of what could be done.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parade-2-k-1.jpg (94.4 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 PM

and because i saw things in ken's i liked and things in mine i liked, i combined the two images. i put ken's on top of mine and added a soft like blend mode to it. maybe we shld work together, ken

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ken-craig-1-k-1.jpg (95.7 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the input. I thought it was a lost cause, myself, but you never want to let these kinds of things go.

Thanks anyway, guys!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 03:03 PM

you're welcome.

i dont know that it's a lost cause. but if this image is fairly representative of the rest, you're looking at some work (or expense to have them done professionally). i'd go through them all and pick a few that have some content that might be important to you and maybe give them a shot.

also bear in mind that both ken and i only did some casual work here, so they could be better.

you might also post one in one of the challenge forums and see if someone else wants to give it a shot as a learning experience. and, there are others on the forum that are sometimes looking for damaged pictures to work on to put in their portfolios. the charge there is usually they'll do the work if you allow them to display them for their portfolios. a pretty fair exchange, i'd say.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Hi boyoboy!

Welcome to RP!

I was actually one of "60 views" ... but didn't want to reply before having a go ... particularly because of the very poor conditions of the image .... but didn't have time to work on it immediately .... sorry you felt nobody wanted to help ...

You have probably already put it aside as a lost cause but I had already started so, I'm posting the result of how far I got anyway ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Image1.jpg (97.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help