RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Remove Spots

Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM

Question Remove Spots

I am fairly new to restoring and retouching and am in the "learn as I do mode". The attached photo has a paper texture which I can minimize with the FFT method as described in the tutorials section. I plan on adding color to the photo but I find that I cannot find a way to clean up the white "apron". I would appreciate any advice as how I should proceed. Thank you all in advance.

Rich Rustic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Romanian1.jpg (84.0 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Patron

Dirty Apron

Well I would recommend that you post a larger image. In the range of 800k. At any rate I ran Neat Image on your entire photo. On the apron, I placed a new layer on top that was empty. I used overlay blending mode on that layer. Using a soft, low opacity, white brush I painted in that layer to lighten up the darker areas of the apron. Having a tablet is very helpful.

Sometimes if you scan and save the image in color you can remove defects by identifying a specific color channel that has the fewest defects and working with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apron.jpg (7.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 06:25 AM

Smile Thanks philbach

As I am now at work, I will try what you suggested tonight. The bit of work you already did shows good improvement. If I have difficulty in what you suggested, I will repost the picture at a higher res. (I thought you could only attach pics at 100 res????????????)

thanks for your time

Rich Rustic
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Patron

Posting Images

Well you are right about the 100k limit. Usually an 800 pixel file in the largest dimension using Save for Web in Photoshop with fairly aggressive jpeg compression works. For Details Click: HERE
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 02:57 PM

rrustic,

welcome to RP.

the limit here is on FILE SIZE, not RESOLUTION. there's a difference. there is also no limit on IMAGE SIZE, which is again different. it can be confusing. file size is simply how much storage space the file takes up. resolution is the number of pixels (dots) per linear inch. and image size is how long and wide the image is, such as 800 x 600 pixels.

so, you could have an image that is 800 x 600 pixels at 72 dpi (dots per inch) or an image that is 800 x 600 at 300 dpi. the one at 300 dpi is going to be a much larger FILE size.

so, when we post images here, we generally like them at 800 x 600 (or 600 x 800) so that we can see them more readily. and that's just a general range. it doesnt have to be exactly that. and you dont have to change the ratio of length to width either. so, if your image is 765 x 592, or 493 x 721 or whatever, that's fine.

graphic editors generally allow you to configure your image how you want it. you can 'resize' to change the length and width or use another setting to change the resolution and keep the image size the same.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Smile Thanks Kraellin

I will remember to limit picture file size to 100 kb and attempt to have the dimensions about 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 for adequate viewing.
I am sure I will be hearing from you and the rest of the regulars as I am on a steep learning curve.

Thanks again for the welcome,
Rich Rustic
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 PM

you're welcome. and dont worry, we all had to learn this stuff at one time or another.

Neat Image is highly recommended for cleaning like this. you might also experiment more with fft or fft rgb. patterns like that can almost always be removed if you can determine the right thing to handle in fft.

also take a look at polaroid's dust and scratch remover. (google).

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 05:49 PM

Hi rrustic!

Welcome to RP from me too!!

I haven't anything to add to the excellent tips by Phil and Craig ... down to the fact that scanning in 'colours' even if the original image is Black and White can be very helpful in either find details to work on, or to remove 'problems' more easily ...

That said, I had a go at your picture ... Is this what you had in mind?

In Attachment 1 the whole picture ..
In Attachment 2 a magnified section of the apron ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Romanian1.jpg (95.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0156.jpg (90.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM

Thanks Flora

That is exactly what I had in mind, a clean apron. Phil did a great job too. If you have the time, could you list your steps. Phil added an empty layer and then painted white. I tried that and it worked pretty good. I need practice with esentially painting with a light hand. Did you do anything different?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Rustic
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Hi Rich,

I usually use Phil's method as well, but in this case I tried something different:

* I duplicated the Background Layer, named it Diffuse Glow and, making sure the background Color was set to white (Attachment 1), I run Filter>Distort>Diffuse Glow on the duplicate (Values in Attachment 2 ) ... The image looks a bit strange, but the whites are really white ... maybe a bit too much...

* Working on the top Layer (Diffuse Glow), keeping the ALT key pressed, I clicked on the 'Add New Layer Mask' button at the bottom of my Layers' Palette , to create a 'black= Hide All layer mask for the top Layer ...

* Once created, the black layer Mask will hide the top Layer from view so you'll think you are back to square one ... meaning .... your 'spotted' apron .... Not really ... select a fuzzy Brush, make sure your foreground Color is set to white, click on your Black Mask to activate it (Attachment 3) change the Opacity of the brush to 30-40% (Attachment 4) and paint white on the apron (don't worry, you are not really painting on the image but on the mask which now partially white will show the whiter apron underneath!) to gradually 'bring out' the whiteness of the Diffuse Glow Layer ... My Mask (Attachment 5)

It sounds much more complex that it is .... and I think it might be a new thing to 'learn as you do' .... if you are not very familiar with Layer Masks yet, this Tutorial might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0166.jpg (30.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0165.jpg (92.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0169.jpg (65.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0168.jpg (39.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0164.jpg (66.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Flora; 03-10-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help