RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lighting, Shadows help, angel wings!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Angel Retouch - so others may be touched by this angel

My Angel Retouch Process:

1. Original Photo
2. Selected dark area of wing. Copied to new layer. Used 3 adjustment layers: Curves, Hue/Sat., Brightness/Contrast to match rest of wing. (Selection must be active [Marching Ants On] for these layers.)
3. New Composite Layer (Cntrl+Alt+Shft+E) Used Clone tool to blend edge of adjusted wing area with rest of wing. Did Exposure adjustment to overall image (Photoshop CS2 tool - Skip if not available.)
4. Hue/Sat adjustment
5. New Composite layer
6. Copy Composite layer. Apply Filter, Render, Lighting Effects: Adjust Spotlight on face. Erased unwanted dark areas revealing layer below.
7. New Layer set to Overlay, fill with 50% gray. Paint light and dark areas with brush set at 10-20% opacity. (Background, face dress, petals)
8. New Composite layer
9. 2 adjustment layers: Color Balance, Photo Filter-Warm
10. This step is easy but sounds complicated: Make a new composite layer. Duplicate the new composite layer. Make a copy of the original image layer. Place the copy of the original image layer between the two composite layers you just made. Select the top most composite layer and with the eraser set at 10% opacity, begin erasing areas of the dress, to lighten, until you are satisfied with the results. If you mess up this layer, delete it and recopy the other composite layer and try again.

With this retouch I chose to emphasize the face and wings.

Note: I probably should be using Layer Comps but I haven't learned how to use them yet. All in due time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (92.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Angel.jpg (95.7 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 09:46 AM

Smile Thanks Rich!!

... So glad you liked 'my' wings ....

I work with Photoshop CS2 and the basic steps I used in your picture are:

* Duplicated the background Layer and named the duplicate 'Match Color'

* Working on the Match Color' Layer, to correct the yellow (indoors lights) cast the image had, I went to Image>Adjustment>Match Color ... and the only thing I did here was to 'check' the 'Neutralize' box in it ... (great eh? )

* Duplicated the Match Color' Layer and named the duplicate 'Equalize' (I now have 3 Layers)

*Working on the 'Equalize' Layer, I went to Image>Adjustment>Equalize ... That brightened the whole image a lot .... Too much actually .... but the darker part of the wings looked just great!!!

* At this point, keeping the ALT key pressed, I clicked on the 'Add New Layer Mask' button at the bottom of my Layers' Palette , to create a 'black= Hide All layer mask for the top (Equalize) Layer ...

* Once created, the black layer Mask will hide the top Layer from view so you'll think you are back to square one or, in this case, to square two ... the 'Match Color' Layer step ... Not really ... select a fuzzy Brush, make sure your foreground Color is set to white, click on your Black Mask to activate it (Attachment 1) and paint white on the darker parts of the wing (don't worry, you are not really painting on the image but on the mask which now partially white will show the great lighter wing underneath!). Change the Opacity of the brush to 30-40% (Attachment 2) and paint white on the still darker parts of the 'outer' wing ...

My Mask + workflow up to here (Attachment 3)
My result after this very easy steps (Attachment 4)

After this, I also used the Healing Brush "to smooth over the less-than-perfect boundary between dark and light wing areas" as Bart said ...

I used Levels to increase the contrast on the feathers a bit.

If you are not very familiar with Layer Masks yet, this Tutorial might help.

Hope this helps ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Masks.jpg (68.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Opacity.jpg (40.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0170.jpg (79.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0171.jpg (80.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Flora; 03-10-2006 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Wrong Attachments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 AM

Flora, thanks for pointing out the Match Color adjustment. I never played with that function and now am getting a lot of good results from it on other images!

If only they made it as an adjustment layer!

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156
Flora, thanks for pointing out the Match Color adjustment. I never played with that function and now am getting a lot of good results from it on other images!

If only they made it as an adjustment layer!
Hi Mike,

small jewel isn't it? .... It came from Kate aka Palomino ... (thanks Kate!!! ) ... depending on the cast, 'Neutralize' could turn lightly cyan ... but if you 'fade' it a bit it really works small wonders!!!!

And I couldn't agree more about having it handy as Adjustment Layer .... but now that I think of it, I could write an action for it .... You surely know how to write actions .... if not, let me know and I'll post it here...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 03:25 PM

i just had to have a go at this image. but i'm afraid i'm not going to be much help here, at least as far as the lightening of the darker part of the wings. i did do that, but it was only part of the overall i did. so, forgive me for a bit of a hijack here, since what i did was to do a little photo art on the picture. it's a great picture and i'd invite you to post it in the photo art section so others would take a go at it as well.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help-2-k-1d.jpg (92.1 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2006, 03:35 PM

Thanks Flora -- I do love the match color function--it is a simple way to oust color casts. It is a great idea to make it into an action/adjustment layer. That is the best thing about this forum...everyone's ideas come together to benefit the whole group! Cheers!

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 01:50 PM

took a shot at the actual wing problem.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help-3-k-1a.jpg (95.9 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 PM

Hi Biskit.

Just an idea.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_help.jpg (84.9 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 05:15 PM

Hey Ken:
Any way you can have the light be behind the wing? I am working on a picture where I have rays coming down from the shy but having a problem getting it behind the figure instead of it showing over the person in the photo. I am using psp for that effect not photoshop. Just a thoughtKen. Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raystop.jpg (15.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 PM

neb,

make a new raster layer under the one of the foreground. put the rays on the new layer and the other layer with the foreground will naturally block the remaining rays from showing through.

ok, wait. that assumes you have things on the originals separated out in layers and not all on one.

ok, you can do this if the original picture has the person and the background on the same layer. make a new raster layer, put the rays on it and have the layer on top of the other layers. then simply erase the rays you dont want coming over the person. that shld work.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help