RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lighting, Shadows help, angel wings!

Old 03-16-2006, 03:50 AM

Here's another idea.

I made a layer with the sunburst on it and then put the masked angel-person in front of that--so that blocks the rays. Then make a second, weaker sunburst on top of that. So it looks like one sunburst partially blocked (which it is.)

I attached a quick result (I didn't try to make the mask very good.) along with a layer stacks for PSP and PS.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunburst_behind_angel.jpg (85.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg psp_layers.jpg (44.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ps_layers.jpg (25.8 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2006, 01:21 PM

Hi Neb.

Craig beat me to it, Thanks Craig.
Neb, Doug has written a good tutorial on this.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=163

Hope this helps.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2006, 09:54 PM

Thanks Flora Craig Bart and Ken:
I am going to try all the suggestions. The one photo I have the lighting come through is a very special picture of a young girl my sister who passed away very suddenly 2 years ago was a nanny to for three years. The young girl is now 20 and in college and works in our Capitol building. I know my sister loved her and is very proud of her for all she is doing with her life. I am sending this to the girl but did not want the rays over her face. So will try to redo it. Thanks for all the help!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 11:56 AM

Craig:
The suggestions do not seem to be working. I am using psp9 for this. The bg layer has been converted to a raster layer leaving the bg transparent. I have all three things on the same layer...bg..person looking down from heaven.....the sky...and then the rays or the sunburst effect in psp9 . So when I add a new layer and go to put the rays on they do not show on the set screen. Trying to erase ..well due to bg being transparent you know what happens when I go to erase, am I doing something wrong?? Any other suggestionson how to get the effect I want?? Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 12:01 PM

Hi Neb,

To put sunburst on its own layer, create a layer filled with black, then put the sunburst on that. Then set the blend mode of the sunburst layer to "screen".

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Got It...Thanks Bart and Craig. This was important to me !! Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croprays.jpg (15.6 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 03:07 PM

neb,

attached is a very crude example of what i was saying. i hope you can make things out ok with the compression. just in case you cant, i'll explain a little bit.

the 'bottom' layer is the background layer. we first just duplicate that into another layer and turn off the original background layer to prevent ruining the original picture.

next, i added a new raster layer on top of the copy of background layer. into this i added the 'guy in the sky' image into the upper left corner.

i then added another blank layer on top of that one. as bart suggested, i painted this all black, but i just used a 50% opacity for the fill brush. i then set this layer and this layer only to 'screen' blend mode.

onto the black layer i added the sunburst rays AND 'illumination' lighting. because this last layer is on top of all the others, the rays also are over all the others. so, we simply use the eraser ON THIS SAME LAYER to erase those rays which show up over the people. we leave the rest of the rays alone.

and that's pretty much the basics of it. there are other ways to do it, but this is the simple way and it works for what you're trying to do.

i'll also give you a little explanation of layers and how to use them. you've got to kind of think in 3 dimensions when you use layers. you are not only working with width and breadth, but you are also working with depth because you are stacking one thing on top of another. the thing that is on top is the one that is going to show up.

layers is like working with transparent glass panes stacked on top of each other. if you have 3 layers or 3 panes of glass and you painted one pane red and put it on the bottom, and another pane painted blue and that one is in the middle, and you painted another white and that one was on top, you would only see the white. however, if you scraped a little of the white off the top pane you would see some of the blue showing through. and if right beneath that you scraped some of that blue off, you would see red. and that's the simplicity of layers.

now, there are other things that complicate all this, but you dont need them for what you're doing at the moment, so i wont try to explain them at this time. just remember 'panes of glass' when you're working with layers and it should help. photoshop and psp both do this the same way. and both, i think, always have the layers stacked the same way... the one at the top of the layer stack is the 'top pane of glass'. i know this is true for psp, both version 9 and 10.

i looked at your last post and you've got some things goofed up there. just start over using what i said. if you have trouble with this, stop and post what you did and we'll try and work it out.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg for-neb-1-k-1.jpg (95.6 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
Got It...Thanks Bart and Craig. This was important to me !! Neb
oops. you posted just before me ok, good going!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Craig:
Your post is not in vain. I printed it out for future reference. Thanks for taking the time to write out the directions and explaination. Between you and Bart I learned a lot. My problem is that I forget things if I do not do them over and over, and after completeing a project I go on to somethng new. So I have been printing things out and putting them into a file for future reference!! Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 PM

neb,

you're welcome

and trust me, i do the same thing...forget how to do something and the same as you, if i dont do them over and over, they're lost. i look back on some of the stuff i've done and go, 'how in the world did i do that?'. happens all the time

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help