RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lighting, Shadows help, angel wings!

Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 PM

Lighting, Shadows help, angel wings!

Ok, so I have this image that I've been working on. My bfs label shot a few videos recently, and this shot is from on set while they were shooting. The girl asked me to help her fix up some of the pictures they took while shooting, and I have everything just about done, with the exception of the wings. As is obvious, the light doesnt shine through the board that was used for the base of the wings the same way it shines through the edge of the wings(all feather), er it doesnt shine through at all.

Ive tried, adjustment layers, color replacement, dodge/burn, etc etc etc, and I cant think of a way to do it well.

I have the orig high-q one if anyone wants to look at that,
but I'd love to see what you guys can think of, thanx!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help.jpg (97.0 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Patron

Angel

I am not sure if this is headed in the right direction, but here goes.
I converted the image to LAB and selected the dark section of the wing and used a curve to lighten it to match the outside lighter border. Now with a uniformly toned wing, I duplicated the background, slected almost all of that wing and added a layer mask to it. Next I applied a gradient to the mask itself going from White at the tip of the wing to black at the inside closest to the model. Now selecting the image instaed of the mask, and clicking on a darker tone closer to the model, applied a curve to brighten the wing. As you do so, the wing tip will begin to blow out sooner because it is brighter. I stopped here but you could go on to use a filter or layer style to create some light striations onto the background. You could also tone down the other wing and add some color or texture to it.
Hope this helps
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angel Rev2 MM.jpg (93.2 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 03-08-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:14 PM

This wasn't that hard to fix, but the method I used might seem technical. However, I have to put the kiddo's to bed at the moment, so I'll have to leave you hanging!

Here's the result so you can possibly let me know if it's what you're looking for.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix_angel_wings.jpg (93.8 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:30 PM

hmm, guesses, hmm, was something done with levels of seperate color channels?

totally clueless here, lol

yeah, its basically great, id love to know how you did it, the wings though look a little pinkish, lol,

whatd you do, tell meeeeeeeeeeeeee,
lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 PM

hmmm, did u brush over it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 11:20 PM

Murray's instructions sound similar to mine although I did it in the RGB color space.

I'm attaching the layer palette. The levels adjustment layer gets the luminance of the shady part of the wing to be correct. Above that is a color balance layer to make the color of the wing match. The effects of those two are masked by the mask called "Select dark part of wing". You have to hand brush this part or make a careful selection of the dark part of the wing. Since the front of the wing needs more lightening than the back, I used a gradient to create a second mask to blend the effects of the adjustment layers so they do less brightening as you get towards the back of the wing.

The blending mode of both groups is "pass through". For the benefit of PSP users, the pass through mode doesn't exist so you'll have to make a duplicate of the original and put it in the group under the adjustment layers. PSP users will not need two groups because PSP allows you to stack multiple masks directly on top of each other.

After brushing the lower mask as best as I could, I moved around the upper mask a bit to position and scale the gradient just right.

Then I created a blank layer on the very top and used the healing brush to smooth over the less-than-perfect boundary between dark and light wing areas. PSP users would use the scratch remover here.

Typically, I would use a single curve adjust layer in place of the levels and color balance layers because that's my preference and I think I can get better color matching that way. However, I thought the curve layer might seem more mysterious when explaining. You can use just about whatever you want to convert dark wing to light wing.

Clear as mud eh?

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wing_layers.jpg (16.2 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 01:29 AM

I did a curves adjustment layer and masked it where needed and then used the diffuse glow -- I figure if part of the image is already blown out, why not go with it and maximize the whole ethereal glow thing...Hopefully this won't look posterized from the compression....good luck.

-Kate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help-copy.jpg (97.8 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 04:01 AM

Hi biskit27!

Welcome to RP!

I followed a different path and here is the result... I'm on my way out right now, but I'll explain what I did later today ...

Great job everybody!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_help.jpg (99.9 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 05:02 AM

Gorgeous

I am too much of a noob to help you out but Flora's wings are beautiful.
That was an excellent job Flora.
Since I am just learning, I think I will read everything you (Flora) have posted.
I should learn alot.

Rich
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 11:06 AM

after using curves to balance out tone in the wings, i used a Cooling photo filter adjustment layer to give it a different look and feel. also blew out the left edge of the wing a little bit to as to the illumoinated feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help copy.jpg (84.1 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help