RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with hair

Old 03-22-2006, 06:30 AM

Help with hair

This is doing my head in....

I have just about coped with scuffed up matt paper, I have got the skin texture looking just about right - but I cannot make the hair look natural - at best I have a guy with about 5 litres of brylcream in his hair which is made out of concrete anyway............

any suggestions??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair-scan.jpg (30.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg hair.jpg (99.1 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 01:49 PM

not sure if you'll like this or not. it's a huge cheat. i almost did more of a reconstruction than a restore and whereas i did use the original hair as the main pattern, i pretty much interjected my own design and treatment to it.

if you like it, i'll post more details. if no, why ok.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair-scan-1-k-1.jpg (95.8 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 02:32 PM

Craig
You would have made a good "Teddy Boy" with hair like that.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 03:09 PM

I do like that......

your own hair?

I even thought of importing some! (fromm Billy Fury, maybe)

So spill the beans - how did that happen?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 AM

ok, i actually dont like it that much; it could be better. nonetheless, what i did first was to resize the image to give more detail when painting/cloning/pushing and so on. this avoids some of the 'jaggies'.

after that it was remove the smaller scratches/bends/tears. i did this with 'scratch remover' in psp 10.

i then did a bit of cloning to get out some of the larger marks. this was done rather quickly, rather than my normal careful cloning because i knew i was going to follow up with the push brush to add hair lines and i'd just smooth out the rough cloning when doing that.

the bit i did next was somewhat a new technique i made a few pics ago (but never posted). psp has a brush called a 'rake' brush. it's a variable brush and there are actually two 'rake' brushes. one is 'hard' and the other is 'fading'. i used the hard brush and basically just combed his hair. since the brush size and opacity can be varied, this allowed me to set the rake to sort of add hair but also allowed me to move the highlights around. oh, i shld mention, the rake was used with the 'push' tool (a sort of continuous smudge).

by mostly following the existing lines and highlights and adding a little airbrush in here and there, i mostly had it. i also added a gray layer set to 'color' a hue/sat/lightness to reduce saturation, and a brightness/contrast to give more contrast. i also ran a very light 'clarify' on one layer.

the biggest problem with all this was in trying to keep it from looking like an oil. the early stages looked quite like painted hair. at one point i also added a duplicate of the image and blurred it by about 4 and added a soft light blend to it.

as a final touch i used the smudge brush to fix a few highlights, smooth out some dark areas and touch up some of the rake marks.

so, like i said, i took quite a bit of license on this one. it still looks a bit unnatural to me, somewhat 'oil', but not really sure how to soften that. still, it beats the original torn image.

normally, i'd just have done a clone and push job on this, but there was something about the image that seemed to scream for more detail than what was there in the original.

btw, i dont really know what the 'teddy' look is, but i nonetheless sort of get the idea

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:53 AM

Craig, that's pretty good. I think that stuff is hard on a large scale like you did here--good work. The Photoshop smudge with strength at 100% is actually like the push brush in Paintshop with opacity at 100%. As you turn down the PS smudge strength, it sort of resembles PSP smudge, but not quite. The difference is interesting although probably not critical. FYI.

I used a combination of the patch tool and healing brush for this one. The healing brush is similar to the scratch remover except instead of synthesizing a new texture, it clones the texture from elsewhere. Both tools interpolate luminance from the surrounding pixels.

I also did some selective noise reduction, USM, and curve adjustments.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair1.jpg (29.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg hair2.jpg (86.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 PM

bart,

thanks.

scratch remover, from what i can tell, is actually sort of an elongated clone tool. you can actually paint with the scratch remover, much like clone painting, with a little practice. if you've ever opened up the size of the tool, you'll notice 4 lines instead of the 2 when it's small. the two inner lines are what is going to be replaced and the two outer lines are what it's borrowing from... so, essentially it's just cloning from the area just outside the scratch you're trying to remove. it's one of those tools in psp that i've grown to like. it's limited; you really dont want to do large scratches/mars/bends/tears, but on the small ones, it's a very quick and effective method for removing scratches.

i like your rendition for the duplication of the original image. my trouble with doing it that way was that it just didnt look like hair all that much. and that's not a slam on your work; the original just doesnt look like hair all that much. so i just tried to 'comb' it and add some stranding to remove that sort of clumping in the original.

and like i said, this is a new technique to me, the one i used with the rake brush, so, maybe with practice i can get it more like i think it shld be.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
i dont really know what the 'teddy' look is, but i nonetheless sort of get the idea
Craig
Check out the link to see what one was.

Peter

http://www.nervous.co.uk/ted.htm
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help