RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

light damage

Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 AM

Well this is one of those cases where Paintshop Pro has an indispensable feature the equivalent of which I can not find in Photoshop. That feature is called "manual color correction". Now I see why people rave about it so much.

In PSPX, I ran a script that splits the image into HSL (legacy) channels. Then gave the saturation channel my usual curve boost. This basically boosts saturation most in the mid-saturation areas while relatively unaffecting very high or very low saturation areas.

Then used the manual color correction tool to make his skin "caucasian normal light" and clicked his cheek. I checked the "preserve luminance" box. That pretty much concludes the "restoration" part.

I then brought that result back over to Photoshop so I could do the healing brush (I'm addicted to that thing!). I did a color balance layer (very slight)--this was to taste. I tend to like to boost cyans and yellows for skin--maybe I should have gone for a bit less cyan. I also colored his lips a bit red and his teeth a bit whiter. Finished off with one last curve to make it a bit brighter. I left the hazy mess in the background alone--that's a simple matter.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg save_color.jpg (38.9 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 AM

Hey that's a nice one! I'm the non-artistic gear-headed sort myself.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 AM

Ken, good one! Very clean-looking. The face and cheeks look very nice.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
Well this is one of those cases where Paintshop Pro has an indispensable feature the equivalent of which I can not find in Photoshop. That feature is called "manual color correction". Now I see why people rave about it so much.
Bart
Hi Bart,

Wow! There is more than one way to accomplish this, and I like your final result a little better than mine.

I'll bet a nickel the shirt was originally red though - maybe Cheesie will chime in
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM

for those using psp 10, the 'manual color correction' no longer exists as such. it was replaced by 'hue map'. the reference for this is the psp 10 help files.

also, curvemeister, your plugin by the same name isnt really 'finding' lost color. so, my original assessment stands; there's not enough of the original color to do something like a color balance or channel mixer and so on. your curvemeister plugin could be used on any black and white in 8 bit rgb (not grayscale) to add color. all it's doing is manipulating the grays by separating out each channel into a color band and adjusting from there. this isnt quite the same thing as 'restoring original color'.

i'll grant you it's a pretty slick looking program, but i stand by my original assessment. essentially, what your program seems to be doing is 'painting by curves'. so, you're still actually re-painting the image to restore it. i do like the idea of it, however. since the grays are representing colors, albeit in black and white, a program like curvemeister makes a lot of sense. you simply take the grays, divide them up into the rgb values and enhance those values based on what the grays represent. pretty slick! i may have to try that demo out. that could handle some unique problems in other images as well as what you've done here.

also, cheesie, do you happen to know what the original hair and eye colors were?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 PM

Hi Craig,

All of the old tools are still there in PSPX. Pull down the menu "view->customize". Then scroll down to the "unused commands". The manual color correction is in list of commands on the right. I drag-n-dropped it back into the Adjust menu along with a few other of my favorites from PSP9.

Many of the tools in there are obsolete, but all of the old gems are there too. I think Corel overdid things a bit in an attempt to simplify the program.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
also, curvemeister, your plugin by the same name isnt really 'finding' lost color. so, my original assessment stands; there's not enough of the original color to do something like a color balance or channel mixer and so on.

craig
I was thinking the same thing. There is some hue information, however it's only just enough so that when you push the color vector in his face to something reasonable, the other colors in the image also look reasonable, but that's psychology at work. One can't say for sure if the colors actually are right.

The jpeg artifacts weren't helping either.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvemeister
Hi Bart,

Wow! There is more than one way to accomplish this, and I like your final result a little better than mine.

I'll bet a nickel the shirt was originally red though - maybe Cheesie will chime in
Thanks! It's funny, but I was looking at yours and wondering if mine was too blue. I think if you stare at one for a long time, then switch to a 2nd one, your brain likes the new one simply because you're sick of looking at the first one.

I noticed your shirt was orangy-red. I also noticed that his lips in the original are the same color as the shirt in the original so I can see why you would think the shirt must be red (same as lips). It'll be interesting to see which color the shirt was. It's possible the sun fades some pigments more rapidly than others in which case previously different hues could become identical and thus indistinguishable.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM

Hi Curvemeister.
Welcome to RetouchPro. Nice job. I downloaded the demo of curvemeister last year
But I must admit I haven’t used is much.

Bart. Thanks for your comments.

I do agree with Curvemeister that the original shirt was probably red. I decided to try again without painting in colour.

1) hue/sat layer. Master Sat +65 (image turns blue)
2) Channel Mixer increase red to +148
3) Selective colour Reds – Magenta + 69
Yellow + 46
Yellows - Magenta + 62
4) Curves Layer for skin

Yes. It does still need some painting (or selective adjustments) But at least I got to this point without painting

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_help2.jpg (97.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 02:06 PM

bart,

Quote:
All of the old tools are still there in PSPX. Pull down the menu "view->customize". Then scroll down to the "unused commands". The manual color correction is in list of commands on the right. I drag-n-dropped it back into the Adjust menu along with a few other of my favorites from PSP9.
very, very cool! i just added 'manual color correction' and 'black and white points' back in! that's pretty slick! what else did you add back in?

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help