RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

light damage

Old 03-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
also, curvemeister, your plugin by the same name isnt really 'finding' lost color.
You're quite correct that once lost, color cannot be restored. This particular image has some remaining color, and each curve move was based on color from the original image.

By increasing saturation in step 1, and making an educated guess about skin color, color be restored. Because some color remains, color variation in the skin tones can be . This gives a relatively natural variation of color that is difficult to accomplish by painting alone. The blue tone to the background may or may not be accurage, but it adds visual interest, and is based on the color in the original image.

After this treatment, I did another educated guess amounting to a bit of coolor archeology. Notice that in image 1 the lips stand out as a relatively bright yellow, a clue that the magenta dye of the original has evaporated, leaving only yellow where red once existed. Using the yellow as a mask, I added magenta back again, and got red lips as well as a red shirt, resulting in image 2.

Image 3 is a minor course change, restoring the skin tone back to a nominal value.

None of the steps would be possible with a black and white image, and I think the results speak for themselves and stand up well to the other excellent images, including yours, that used hand tinting. Those of us who are less skilled at brushwork may find curves, whether with curvemeister or not, to be a good alternative.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvemeister

After this treatment, I did another educated guess amounting to a bit of coolor archeology. Notice that in image 1 the lips stand out as a relatively bright yellow, a clue that the magenta dye of the original has evaporated, leaving only yellow where red once existed. Using the yellow as a mask, I added magenta back again, and got red lips as well as a red shirt, resulting in image 2.
What about the stuff that really was yellow in the pre-faded image? Wouldn't it be better to break out the magenta channel and amplify the whole thing (ie., steep, straight curve with 0,0 origin)? I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't see if there is any magenta left to amplify.

I see the concentrated reddish color along the bottom edge--was that your clue? It's like the ink migrated to the edges of the picture.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
What about the stuff that really was yellow in the pre-faded image?
My version almost certainly failed to retrieve any yellow color, other than skin tone, in the image. The background for example is blue-ish and may have been gray originally.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to break out the magenta channel and amplify the whole thing (ie., steep, straight curve with 0,0 origin)? I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't see if there is any magenta left to amplify.
For some faded images this works very well, but not this particular one. The problem is that this image has contrast and very little color. It resembles a hand tinted silver image more than it does a color print.

You may have better luck, but I found that separating to CMYK, even with very heavy GCR, results in very noisy CMY channels. Lab was much more effective at bringing out color without affecting the brightness of the basic image.

Quote:
I see the concentrated reddish color along the bottom edge--was that your clue? It's like the ink migrated to the edges of the picture.Bart
This is where the frame protected the edge of the picture. It confirms that adding magenta to yellow is a good choice for this image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
bart,

very, very cool! i just added 'manual color correction' and 'black and white points' back in! that's pretty slick! what else did you add back in?

craig
It's been so long since I configured my menus, I can't remember. I pretty much rearranged the Adjust menu. I put a "Color" and "Brightness/Contrast" menus at the top and then added and removed several items and alphabetized them so I could find stuff. I attached what the two submenus look like.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color_bright_menu.jpg (35.5 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 AM

curvemeister,

i guess i shld probably shut my mouth. i really dont know your program and it seems you're getting some results with it. i'll have to try it out and then argue or agree with you later

in the meantime, i gave painting a shot. i'm not the best at this. flora or vikki or some others can do these much better, but that's a good reason for doing it...practice. so, here we go...

oh, and ignore the shirt and clothing and background. i was really only working on the skin, eyes and hair.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boy-1-k-1d.jpg (91.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 AM

bart,

thanks

ok, so i've put a few things back onto the menus. umm, so how do i remove them now that i've found a couple i dont need or want?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
bart,

thanks

ok, so i've put a few things back onto the menus. umm, so how do i remove them now that i've found a couple i dont need or want?

craig
With the customize dialog open, just grab any control you don't want and drag it out of position until it turns into an "x" and then drop it.

It's a big scary how configurable the UI is--you can totally change the character of the program. You can even configure the context-sensitive menus.

Adobe should be using the PSP UI as a model IMO.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 AM

thanks bart. i kind of figured that might be the way, but really didnt want to mess things up.

also, isnt psp done in python and that you could actually more or less write and append extra functions and so on to psp?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
thanks bart. i kind of figured that might be the way, but really didnt want to mess things up.

also, isnt psp done in python and that you could actually more or less write and append extra functions and so on to psp?

craig
The scripting language is Python, but I can't believe the program itself is written in Python--I'm pretty sure they're using the Microsoft Visual Studio (I believe I've seen Visual C++ or Visual Studio based error messages when it crashes.)

The Python interface does not have direct access to the image data, so it's not quite as powerful as the plugin interface. However, if you were so inclined, you could write a script that instructs PSP to export the image to a file or the clipboard, then import that into your script and operate directly on the image.

The way in which Jasc implemented scripting is wonderful IMO. It has all of the convenience of actions in Photoshop while having all of the power of scripting.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 AM

I agree the colors are too far gone in this image to be salvaged. And the work you would have to do on it afer putting it through Curvemeister (getting rid of the splotchy colors and all the fine tuning with multiple selective color and color blend layers) would be more tedious than desaturating it and coloring it from scratch. I always try to find a similiar shot ( age, gender and lighting conditions) and keep it as a reference to make sure I am not straying too much. Here is my quick, lightly colored attempt.
Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help2.jpg (96.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help