RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

RAW File???

Old 03-28-2006, 01:49 PM

RAW File???

Hi Everyone.

A customer of mine has given me a SD card full of ‘RAW’ images and requested I convert them to jpeg and put them on CD.

These pictures were taken on a Phillips digital camera (I don’t know the model) But they don’t seem to be proper RAW images.

I have posted an example here.

http://www.uploading.com/?get=X8RK3W68

(Enter the number and click download at the top right of the page)

I cannot view this file. Can anyone help Please?

Thanks for your help.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 PM

Hi Ken,

just downloaded the image ... same result here ... I can't see it no matter what I try ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks Flora.

It looks like Philips may be using their own format.
I even tried renaming the files to .jpg and .tif.
I have seen the images in the camera so I know that the pictures are OK.
My customer want them converting because he cannot get them printed in this format.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 03:22 PM

You are welcome Ken,
Quote:
It looks like Philips may be using their own format
... Probably ... and If that's the case, they probably want you to use their recommended 'compatible' sofware or something similar ...

... As if it weren't enough that cards, cables and everything else vary from make to make of digital cameras and sometimes from model to model of the same make ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 03:23 PM

ken,

i got it to load in photoshop, but i had the wrong size, so the image was messed up. a RAW file is basically just that, raw. there is NO header information. that's what a raw file is. YOU have to supply that information to view it outside the native camera environment. photoshop or psp might get it right on a guess, but cant do it alone. at a minimum you have to know the original dimensions of the image. in your particular case, it's less than 640 x 480. i tried at 240 x 180 and photoshop told me it was too small but that it would load it anyway if i wanted to. i did and it wasnt much more than black with some specs on it. but, it might have looked ok if i'd had the right dimensions to input. the same is going to be true no matter what viewer/editor you try to load this into. the editor/viewer will find NO header to tell it those dimensions by itself and therefore doesnt know whether to try to make it a 640 x 480 or a 480 x 640 or something else.

i've had this trouble before with raw files. i dont use them much, but i do believe i had the best success with HP's Director software. before psp had any raw capability i had a need to view some raws and HP i think was what i used to view them.

photoshop cs2 and psp x shld be able to handle them, but you may need to tell either one of them how to display them correctly. then again, you may be right and phillips may have jimmied their raws some way special to them. if so, they really shldnt be calling them RAW.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 03:36 PM

ok, i tried this again in psp 10. i tried at 320 x 240 rgb using rgb mode, 320 x 240 rgb using bgr, 240 x 180 gray, 240 x 180 rgb using grb and rgb. all came out relatively the same.....noise.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (97.1 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM

Every camera manufacturer that I have ever heard of will supply with the camera the software to download that cameras files and open them into some kind of "standard" (jpeg, tiff etc) file. They have to or the customer would not be able to print, share, email whatever the images that they have taken and so what would be the purpose of taking the image in the first place?

So you need to go back to the person and find out what happened to the software (most likely on a CD). If he bought the camera from someone else, then go check with that person. One might be able to go to the manufacturers website and download that also.

A check at the Adobe website will tell you if PS supports that cameras system.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 05:28 PM

try asking adobe if they will be supporting this philips format in there upcoming camera raw update...
no luck at this end in viewing the image either.
did you try Philips website?

good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Wow. Thanks for the replies.

Flora. I’ve never had a problem like this before.

Craig. Thanks for the info.
On the SD card there are also some jpegs in a different folder. I looked and the resolution of the jpegs is 2048 x 1536. I tried this and every combination but with no luck. It looks like you are getting the same picture as I did.
I have converted loads of RAW files in the past but they have always been Canon or Nikon files.

Mike. I think you are correct. I am going to need the CD that came with the camera. I’ve tried google and I can’t even find the camera never mind the software.

Thanks Slipchuck. I can’t even find the camera at the website

The funny thing is that Phillips factory is just a few miles down the road from my house.

http://www.applegate.co.uk/company/00/11/573.htm

But I can’t find the camera there.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Patron

Ken, I somehow doubt that these are actually RAW files. I used a binary editor to open the file. It contains no header, no thumbnail, no origin identifier nor any discernable ascii characters which are not random. Even the proprietary raw files have headers which identify the source.
Furthermore the file size is only 299KB, which is really small for a RAW format. It is possible however I would not see the value of a manufacturer bothering to produce a RAW image of a camera that was only 1 or 2 megapixels.
It is possible that the file has been encrypted after the fact. Good Luck,
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help