RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

help needed to retouch very old photo

Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 AM

help needed to retouch very old photo

hi all need help please in retouching this very old photo. Any help appreciated and any ideas how to do it.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family1.jpg (70.2 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 12:18 PM

atkkate,

welcome to RP.

i had a go at this one, but i warn you, it's pretty far gone where it's been bleached out. bringing out very much detail is going to be difficult. nonetheless, it's not all bad. you can make out some stuff under there.

i'm not posting all that i did at this point. it was extensive and i've already spent a lot of time on this, so i'm not going to write it all up, even if i could remember it all.

i didnt even try to fix the left side over-exposure parts. there was nothing really there worth saving. i'd just crop that out. i'd also just crop out that black border. you could add any other border or frame back when done. so, all those parts are just in your way when fixing things. i left them in and ignored them.

i may also work on this some more later on. it could be better than what i've done so far. so bear that in mind also.

mostly, this is a challenge of contrast, lighting and color balance with a bit of reconstruction thrown in also. and you may want to split the channels and try to fix each individually. i didnt, but i did look at them. the red channel is the worst.

also, i dont know how familiar you are with all the tools and terminology of photoshop or paint shop pro or whatever you happen to be using, so i'll also wait till you've responded to give more details of what i did.

it's a difficult image and if this is your first attempt at restoration, you've picked a doozy.

in brief, here are some of the tools i used on this:

adjustment layers: contrast/brightness, curves, color balance, hue/sat (mostly just to look at the saturation layout)

filters/plugins: black and white points, smart fix, lum frequencies, digital camera noise removal, hue map (again, mostly to check saturations)

brushes-tools: clone, push, hue up down, saturation up down, lightness/darkness

the trick is to bring down the light but also bring out the contrast for detail and then color balance the whole while restoring some color in the bleached area. for the restoring of color i used a blank raster layer and airbrushed in various parts, including sky, foreground-beach, background trees, various flesh on the people, and hair.

parts of the image had to have their own selections and reconstructions-restorations. blending was then done to smooth corrected areas into the rest of the image.

all in all, a most difficult image. perhaps others will take a shot at this as well. Flora seems to have a good technique with images like this. maybe she'll give it a go.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family1-1-k-1c.jpg (93.3 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Patron

Welcome to RP!
A lot of the detail has been blown away. Also it would be more successful if the scan were somewhat higher resolution and the dust blown off. Here is a quick try to head it in the right direction. There are parts of the image that should just be clones, like the good sky and sand. Then I would work on the lightness channel to darken it in the damaged area, That could be done with some curve adjustment or masking or by painting with the dodge and burn tools on an overlay layer. Here is what I di in a few minutes.
Regards
Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATKKATE Family MM R1.jpg (94.7 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Patron

Tough Restore

Well to start with the green channel was the only one that had some detail on the left side of the picture. I Split the channels and worked on the green Channel as a separate black and white photo. Using levels adjustment layers and masking, I increased the contrast of the green Channel I laid the green channel on top of the background of the original photo using a luminosity blending mode and sort of took it from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family2.jpg (54.9 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Hi Atkkate.
Welcome to RetouchPro.

I separated the luminosity and repaired that and then added the colour back

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_family1.jpg (98.5 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2006, 05:29 AM

thank you all so so much.
I am using PS cs version 8
And am still just learning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 PM

ken,

i like your color restoration there. care to elaborate on how you arrived at that?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 PM

Craig.

I Extracted the Luminosity onto a new layer and used selective levels adjustments to even out the banding.
When I was happy with this B&W version I sharpened it with High Pass.
Then I dragged the colour version above the B&W one and set the blending mode to colour.
From there is was a basic restore
Layers set to colour to paint in better colour
Layers set to normal to clone.

Thank You for your comments

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM

ken,

thanks.

the only thing i dont get there is the 'extracted luminosity'. with what did you do this, an HSL split or what?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Patron

Extract Luminosity

What I did to get some luminosity extraction in Photoshop was the following; The Green Channel seemed to have the best luminosity so I used that.
I copied the background layer and set the blending mode to luminosity.
Then I used apply image with the Source the green channel of the background layer and the target Layer 1 with normal blending. That helped some. To bring back more of layer 1 I treated it as a grayscale image to bring back contrast into the center area.

My color wasn't so good, I tried to match the left side of the photo to the nearly normal right side, but I suspect Ken used a similar technique to establish luminosity in his retouch.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help