RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need Some Help With Blurry Images

Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Hi Dan.

It is called FaFdB.

And itís available here.
http://palbou.free.fr/index.html

The sample is very impressive
http://palbou.free.fr/fafdb_sample.html

My results were complete luck and I canít repeat them. If you learn how to use it I would be grateful for an easy step by step.
I really am not sure how to set the Reference Luminance correctly?

I did also colour correct it. So thatís nothing to do with the blur removal.
FaFdb did leave halos which I painted out.

Ken.
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the link. The sample looks very promising! I'll play around with it a bit and see what I can get.

Cheers,

Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 AM

ken,

thanks for that one. an interesting program. i tried it out tonight, though i shldnt have; it's quite late here. it's actually fairly simple to use. it looks more complex than it is. for now, being so late, i'll just refer you to the docs that came with the program (see your "Programs' menu under 'Pierre Alou"). i made out enough of it to see what he's doing. it's basically like having layers and moving one layer around to overlay the other more precisely, but with a bit of a twist. it also has an advantage over Unshake in that it can handle complex motion blurs....you know, as if you'd moved the camera in an arc rather than a straight line.

with the limited time i had tonight i could only get about as good as doing a layers and move type result and i'm not real sure yet if it can go better than that. but, by adding a sharpen more and digi camera noise removal, it's not too bad. i'll post it tomorrow along with any helps anyone needs on using this. and i'll also gladly accept any corrections to my helps... or additions

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
ken,

thanks for that one. an interesting program. i tried it out tonight, though i shldnt have; it's quite late here. it's actually fairly simple to use. it looks more complex than it is. for now, being so late, i'll just refer you to the docs that came with the program (see your "Programs' menu under 'Pierre Alou"). i made out enough of it to see what he's doing. it's basically like having layers and moving one layer around to overlay the other more precisely, but with a bit of a twist. it also has an advantage over Unshake in that it can handle complex motion blurs....you know, as if you'd moved the camera in an arc rather than a straight line.

with the limited time i had tonight i could only get about as good as doing a layers and move type result and i'm not real sure yet if it can go better than that. but, by adding a sharpen more and digi camera noise removal, it's not too bad. i'll post it tomorrow along with any helps anyone needs on using this. and i'll also gladly accept any corrections to my helps... or additions

craig
Craig,

Thanks so much again for all of your help! I played around with the program a bit last night as well, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. It does look more complex than unshake but we'll see what happens!

Cheers,

Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 07:41 AM

Thanks Craig.
If you are writing a ĎHow Toí then why not start a new thread in the Software Forum. And then it wonít get lost.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 01:44 PM

ken,

i suppose writing a formal tut would be the way to go here, but i'm just going to do a quickie here in this thread. if someone else wishes to write up a formal tut, why, be my guest to use whatever i've posted here.

this will have to be in two posts, since i've got 8 images to post here.

image 1: this is the menu and toolbar. the items marked in red are the ones we're going to deal with for a quick, simple way to get going. notice that one of the reds is crossed out. that one is optional and we dont need it for the image we're working on here.

the ones marked with a blue box around them are simply the views of the various stages of the work and correspond to the red buttons. so, if you've already used the 'tuning' button (the first red one), then the other button (in blue) will show that view with the tuning button applied.

the red one in the menu is the filter menu item. we only want the first item in there, the one marked 'find parameters'.

so, to start, open your image. it can only be in .jpg or .bmp. i'd suggest .jpg for now. there is something in the docs that suggests that .bmps may crash the program, but i was reading quickly, late at night, so i might have that wrong. but, since we're already working on a .jpg, let's just use that one for now. you will have to tell the 'open' dialog window to use .jpg. the default comes up as a .bmp, so you'll have to change that.

(note: i dont know if there is a file size limitation with this program or not. our image from this thread was fine.)

alright, here are the quick steps:

1. open a .jpg.

2. select tuning zone. this is a selection type action. hit the button and you get a crosshairs type curson. drag this around a smaller portion of your image. this is going to be your working copy workspace. you dont need to work on the entire image, just a small portion. i used her head in my example. see the 2nd image posted here.

3.hit the 'reference luminance area' button. this also gives you a crosshairs curson. drag this out into a more or less solid and fairly well lit area. you just need a small circle. see attachment 3. this is an area that will NOT change in luminance during the processing and is therefore a 'reference luminance area'. note that when you hit the button, your tuning area will change to grays. this is expected and correct.

4. skip the 'guess points'. this is just another way to adjust luminance and is optional. we dont need it for this image.

5. now the tricky part. hit the 'define' button (see attachment 5). this will give you a crosshairs also. the trick here is that this is a 'vector' type tool. the simple definition of a vector is, something with both direction and velocity/speed/power. and that's what this tool does. it's harder to explain than to use. but, drag your crosshairs starting on HER right cheek edge where it's solid, drag it down and to the left to the outer edge of the ghosted cheek. that's your Vector, a direction and a strength/distance.

now, this is tricky because it makes a difference not only in what direction you drag, but also how far you drag that crosshairs. you will also notice that the image rotated as soon as you were done. that is natural and right. had you drawn the crosshairs in a different direction, the image would have rotated accordingly. again, it goes by the vector you choose with the crosshairs.

ok, that's the first part. i'll explain the rest of the 'simple' parts in the next post.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-1.jpg (63.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-2.jpg (97.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-3.jpg (96.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-4.jpg (97.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-5.jpg (96.7 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:05 PM

ok, this is part two of the 'simple' workings of FaFdB.

6. go up to the menu bar and pick 'filters'. in there, pick the item 'filter parameters'. see attachment 1.

notice in this new window that there is a button marked 'preview'. hit that and you'll see what your current image is going to look like if you were to process it now. it will still only show the black and white version. the color will be added back later. but you only need the grays now for this purpose.

7. hit the 'View' BUTTON, not the view menu choice; you want the BUTTON here. see attachment 2. this is where you refine your vector a bit more. you can shorten it or elongate it by changing the numbers marked '+1' or '-1'. you'll notice as you do so that your bottom number will change. that's your vector length.

now, if you go back to step 6 and hit the 'preview' again, you'll see the image change according to how much you adjusted your vector length.

so, what we have is a 'triangle' of buttons to use to fine tune our image, the 'define' button, the menu 'filters --> 'filter paramaters --> 'preview', and the 'view' button. just keep working those three items to get your 'tuning area' the best you can.

now, being this is ONLY the basics in this little tutorial, you can now hit the button which says 'Process whole image' and you'll get the image turned back up right, back in color and all your parameters applied to the image. and that's the basics.

i havent completely explored the other fine tuning, but there are some other parameters within the 'filter' --> 'find parameters' area, that i've only briefly fooled with, that will fine tune things even more. and, there is also a 'post processing' button that i havent even touched yet, which is supposed to also help.

this program has some real advantages over Unshake. i still think Unshake is going to be part of my arsenal, but FaFdB allows for not only working the image over once, but when done, you can use your finished image and do it again for even finer tuning. that's handy. and, i mentioned before that if you had a complex motion blur, FaFdB can handle this by using the 'triangle' of tools to rotate the image and change the vector more than one time, thus giving you a way to adjust on one vector and then also adjust on another, effectively combining those vectors into one result.

i think overall this is going to be one very handy program. it needs more looking at, but certainly so far it's been worth the look i've done. and again, this does not negate the value of Unshake or other deblurring programs. they do different things in different ways, and when it comes to severe blurring, we need all the help we can get.

so, my thanks to the author and if someone would care to invite him here, i think that would be great.

oh, and the last attachment is one i did in about 5 minutes today. i actually did a better one last night, but i wanted to keep consistent with the tutorial here and just used my finished image from writing up this tut.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-6.jpg (96.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-7.jpg (94.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FaFdB-tut-8.jpg (95.6 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Thanks Craig.

Itís a shame that the angle canít be changed when correcting the vector length.
Also I still donít really know why I need to choose an area of luminosity

The post processing allows a mix of the original.

Itís a good little program. Iím sure Iíll use it again.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 04:06 PM

ken,

Quote:
Itís a shame that the angle canít be changed when correcting the vector length.
yes, i saw a few places where he could smooth out the interface a bit, but it's still pretty simple. the 'triangle' of buttons is the trick. define, filters->filter parameters-> preview, and the other button all work pretty closely with each other. just use define again at a different angle to work the image closer to what you want. and remember that if you turn the image upside down the first time you use define, if you now run the vector in the same direction, it's going to now rotate it back again, so you run the define vector the other way for small changes.

it takes a bit of getting used to and keeping all those vectors to what you want, but it's a pretty slick way of doing things.

you might also want to check out the other parameters in the filters item. i actually did play around with those and managed to reduce the halo/glow effect quite a bit with those. still havent looked at the post processing stuff yet. so, if you do, let me know what you find.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 01:51 AM

ok, getting better with this thing. the 'post processing' does little more than make a final adjustment on luminance. i didnt use it on this one. i'm also getting the hang of the 'triangle' better and the adjustments in the 'parameters' adjustment window.

after the FaFdB, i ran it back in psp and did a 'sharpen more' and digi camera noise removal. cropped and there ya go.

it still needs some hand work, but it's getting there.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confirmation-1-k-1.jpg (93.3 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 AM

After watching the use and effects of FaFdB I thought that I would give my manual version one more touch up. I created a copy layer, desaturated and applied the "emboss" filter, inverted the result and applied using soft light, shifting the layer by one or two pixels vertically and horizontally. Cleaned up the edges with clone and paint brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confirmation1a-600j.jpg (92.0 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help