RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need Some Help With Blurry Images

Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 AM

Need Some Help With Blurry Images

A couple of weeks ago, I was confirmed. Unfortunately, someone accidentally turned off the camera flash during the day, resulting in some very blurry images. I searched around the forums a bit and found a program called Unshake, and I have had some moderate success. I was hoping that some of the pros here could help me out and teach me how to unblur images the best way possible. Below is one of the damaged images:

http://www.projectupgrade.net/Cruise/confirmation1.jpg

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Patron

Hi Dan and welcome to RP!
This image is pretty blurred. You can improve it somewhat but the blur can't be totally removed because you effectively have a multiple exposure where the image is offset because of the camera motion.
Attached fist is a size reduced original. The 2nd image is the first with a Smart Sharpen in PS CS2 - (200, 7, Gaussian Blur setting). The 3rd image is the 2nd image with a noise reduction with Noise Ninja noise filter.
There is a trade off between sharpening artifacts and smoothing for noise and jpeg artifacts. Additional experimentation may produce slightly better results.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dewebb Blurred Orig Low Res.jpg (90.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Dewebb Blurred MM R1 Low Res.jpg (92.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Dewebb Blurred MM R2 Noise Reduced.jpg (96.9 KB, 142 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 04:58 PM

Unshake is a good program. it's my current de-blur tool of choice. this is for two reasons; one, it's free and two, it does a good job. i think one other one that does a bit better job is Focus Magic, but that one will cost you.

unshake is a java applet. so, i believe you'll need the java runtime environment files to use i. as i recall, the installation wont work till you have those and have them installed. after that, the installation was pretty easy, if i remember correctly. you then launch it with the 'launch' file in the folder. it really doesnt like a shortcut of this put on the desktop and provides no start icon itself. so, i always have to run it from windows explorer.

it's relatively simple to use, which is good, because i recall almost no documentation with the thing. you pick a normal deblur or severe. you refine that further with another pulldown which gives you 4 choices, basic, portrait, estimate, and scenic. scenic, i believe is the highest quality. there is also a slider you can move to adjust severity of correction and an 'estimate time' button to give you an idea of how long this is going to take before starting (it always guesses too low).

you can load several types of formats, i believe. most of these are the standard web type formats, gif, bmp, jpg, etc. but check that; i may have that wrong. it did do yours as a jpg just fine.

when you hit 'deblur', it will begin. and now you wait. there is no progress bar to tell you how it's going or when it's done. there is no text message saying 'done' or anything else except the 'deblur' button will un-highlight and a new window will pop up with your finished image (actually, it's the image that was loaded as a default when you started the program, the meerkat. this changes to your image when it's ready).

you have to save your finished image. SAVE IT AS A DIFFERENT NAME!! or you'll overwrite your original. i say this because i've messed this up a few times.

once saved, open your normal image editing software and fine tune the rest.

i ran your image at a normal setting with the slider at 5 and the mode as 'scenic'. the estimated time 4 minutes, 20 seconds. it was fairly close to that. so, this was a fairly unradical try. it did ok, but not great. if i had more time today i might have tried again at a more severe setting.

i then saved it and called it up in psp 10 and ran digital camera noise removal and one sharpen pass on it. again, it's better, but probably not as good as it could be.

so, Unshake does work. it may not be the best, but it is free and does help.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confirmation1-unshake-2-k-1.jpg (95.3 KB, 119 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 02:39 AM

This was done just using duplicate layers. One layer was adjusted for slightly increased contrast and unsharp mask, moved around until the main outlines were strengthed the most, then applied using soft light blending mode. Applied a high pass filter to a second duplicate layer and again applied to the original using soft light blending. The resultant noise was cleaned up a bit using the Grain Surgery 2 plugin. One final run of unsharp mask on the result of the above gave this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confirmation1-03j.jpg (99.7 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Guys,

Thanks so much for the help!

I've been playing around with unshake, and this has been the best I've been able to get. Should I keep trying, or is it hopeless?

Also, are there any professional services that do this?

http://www.projectupgrade.net/Cruise/confirmation2.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 AM

mistermonday,
i'd like to see that in a larger format, but it looks good.

veryweird,
also very nice. may have to go back and try this one again using some of each of what both of you did.

dwebb,
definitely looks better. not sure about 'professional services' doing it any better. most of us have seen the hollywood version of fixing images like this, where they feed it into a computer and it just automatically brings up a sharp, clear image, but i wouldnt hold my breath on finding a real world one like that. and as for 'professional', you've got some pretty good folks right here.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
mistermonday,
i'd like to see that in a larger format, but it looks good.

veryweird,
also very nice. may have to go back and try this one again using some of each of what both of you did.

dwebb,
definitely looks better. not sure about 'professional services' doing it any better. most of us have seen the hollywood version of fixing images like this, where they feed it into a computer and it just automatically brings up a sharp, clear image, but i wouldnt hold my breath on finding a real world one like that. and as for 'professional', you've got some pretty good folks right here.

craig
Yes, everyone is very helpful here! (And yes, I was secretly hoping for a Hollywood version! )

I have the week off from school, so I'll continue playing with this image and some of the other blurry ones and post the results.

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM

Hi Dan.

I found some new software.
What do you think?

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_confirmation.jpg (99.9 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Hi Dan.

I found some new software.
What do you think?

Ken.
Hey Ken,

Looks great! What software is it? If it's free, I'll play around with it as well.

The sharpen looks good, but the colors seemed to have gottena tad messed up in the process.

Cheers,

Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Hi Dan.

It is called FaFdB.

And it’s available here.
http://palbou.free.fr/index.html

The sample is very impressive
http://palbou.free.fr/fafdb_sample.html

My results were complete luck and I can’t repeat them. If you learn how to use it I would be grateful for an easy step by step.
I really am not sure how to set the Reference Luminance correctly?

I did also colour correct it. So that’s nothing to do with the blur removal.
FaFdb did leave halos which I painted out.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help