RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Very blurred image

Old 04-05-2006, 11:15 PM

Very blurred image

Hi guys, this is my very first post here, and I have an extremely blurred picture to contend with. It's the worst picture I've seen of this sort. <- link I do want to do a really good job, and fix it as best as possible for the lady the picture belongs to as it's the last picture she has of her daughter. (The daughter died 4 days after the pic was taken.) Any ideas anyone? I've tried Focus Magic, but maybe I'm using the wrong settings. Unshake doesnt work on my computer, not sure why, but I'm looking into it. Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2006, 03:03 AM

I tried running a deconvolution filter on it without much success.
Do you have access to any other pictures? One option would be to manually reconstruct the face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 AM

I have access to other pictures and I was thinking about that real hard. It wasnt really the face that was bothering me, it was the lamp and the bear. The bear I could probably take care of the same way as the face, since my mom has the same type of bear. Hmmm. Maybe I can get a picture of her face where she doesn't look like she's in excruciating pain. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2006, 10:31 AM

familytreephoto,

welcome to RP.

to run Unshake, you need the Java Runtime Environment. these are the runtime files necessary to run any Java type application. you can get them at the Java site. make sure you get the latest and that they are the version for your machine, i.e. windows, linux, mac or whatever you have.

i have Unshake and decided to give this one a shot. have no illusions here; the image is pretty badly messed up. nonetheless, i was able to help it a bit. i first resized the image in psp 10, down to 800 x 788. i then ran it through unshake at the most severe settings, "severe, scenic, 20 amplification, 100x". in fact, i ran it through 10 different settings from fairly light to this last one. i saved each and looked at the thumbnails in psp 10 to compare which had done the best. it's often easier to see which is best by looking at the thumbs... at least for a quick check.

i chose the last one, the most severe one. i then ran this through a very severe digital camera noise removal (also in psp 10). the settings had to be pretty severe to do much good and that always gives a fair amount of blurring. nonetheless, i think i helped it a bit.

now, if you get unshake working, you might want to try it without resizing the original quite so much. just bear in mind that your processing times in unshake will jump from about 2 minutes per run to about 15 per run at the unsized size.

you could also try some pre-processing work to see if you could get it a bit better and then run it through unshake. but, bear in mind that no deblur program is going to make this like a pristine photo. it's just too badly blurred.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chowning-severe-scen-20-100-1-k-1.jpg (93.7 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2006, 03:44 PM

What are your expectations with this picture. Because if you hope to get a sharply focussed image, you might as well save yourself a lot of effort and heartache, it's not going to happen.

If however you just want to improve it in some way, then the advice given so far is good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 07:41 AM

The individual knows this isnt ever going to be perfect, she more or less was wanting the face taken care of, and I'm going to do that with another picture of her. I appreciate your replies it lets me know I'm going in the right direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 PM

Talking Just in case you're interested....

I got a better picture of the persons face and was able to come up with the below image after about 2.5 hrs of aggrevation lol.

It's not pristine, but given the original it's the best I'm going to get, unless anyone else has some pointers.

I included the original and the retouched versions in this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chowningsm.jpg (33.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Chowningasm.jpg (28.9 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 PM

How about this? I used your cleaned up bear and worked on her face. Don't ask me how as I lost track of all the filtering and manual touch ups. I can give you a bigger version if you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chowningsm-600j.jpg (95.3 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 04:28 PM

thats a good attempt wierd. esp. the mouth.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help