RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

My Dad's only picture of his parents

Old 04-10-2006, 12:41 AM

difficult image.

way too many steps to try to put them all down here. but the major ones were:

32 band gray plugin to get rid of some of the 'noise'.
digital camera noise removal.
lots of clone and push.
i think there was a 'clarify' level in there somewhere.
the backdrop was a color forest scene that i desaturated and then blurred.
between the backdrop layer and the cutout of the couple i added a gray fill layer to blend the two layers together better in shading.
there was more than one blank layer with airbrushing for touching up.
lots of copy merges and start a new process.
at least one curves, one levels and one histogram adjustment layer.

sorry, this was done over several days and psp just doesnt save the history palette

and following what bart said about psp, psp kind of came into its own in version 9 and then 10. i've used it since version 4.12. photoshop is the premiere editor, but like bart said, you can do most any task you'll find on retouchpro with psp; you just have to find the work-around in some cases.

most folks use PS, at least the pros do, i think, and it's the one 'everyone' knows. it's also the one that if you apply for a digital graphic's job of any sort, the employer will no doubt ask for your PS experience and abilities.

i use it because i've always used it and because when i started using it it was shareware/free. and, as mentioned, it's still only about a tenth the cost of PS. it's also far easier to learn. but the learning curve can fool you regarding its power. just because it's easier to learn doesnt mean it's that much less powerful than ps.

the biggest downside to using it here is, with most folks using ps here, tutorials, helps, explanations and so on, all tend to be in PS speak and it doesnt always translate into psp speak.

it's a good program.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mapa-medford1900-1-k-1d.jpg (92.2 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 01:28 PM

thank you everybody, I am sure getting a lot of good information!

Bart, Thanks for the info about PSP, I have heard it so often I just wondered.

Ed, I had a scan of the original saved separately before I got organized for all the photos I have now to practice on,,,, I can't figure out where it went. But I will find the original and then be more careful. I now have my pics organized.

Hi Bobby (thanks for your name) and the inverted highpass instruction. I printed it out and put in my tech notebook and will try. I hope I understand. i know the invert shortcut but didn't realize you could invert things other than a mask.

Craig, great job on the photo. I will take all these great suggestions I have and try them out and I know I will end up with a wonderful gift for my dad.
I particularly like the background. Much better than just the plain, it adds visual interest.

Thanks again all. I so appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 AM

thanks sheri

it could stand some more work...her dress, and the one side of her face in particular, but it was a start.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM

Wll you all have raised the bar for me. It may take me awhile to live up to the standard, but I am trying.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Raising the Bar

Thank you for sharing your family. One is meant to have the look of a portrait, the other is a simple restoration.

Last edited by klassylady25; 04-15-2006 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added Photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Candice, Very nice job. I love the background, my original try was fake looking. It looks like you used a lighting effect instead of airbrush like I did. I just learned about omni lighting so I need to try it.

Thanks, Sheri
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 PM

I found the original photo

I found the original photo so I will load it for you to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORIGINAL-DADS-PARENTS.jpg (91.3 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 PM

excellent, sheri

here's one based on the original.

i ran two different passes of byRo's degrunge on this. added a bit of contrast/brightness, did a little airbrushing on a separate layer, a very, tiny bit of 'push' and a curves.

i mostly ignored her dress and the background. if you were going to colorize this, i'd not do much with the dress until you wanted to colorize. it seems to be a sort of light, summer print, but it could also be just noise/dirt/smudging that is giving all that variation. so, depending on how you wanted to go from here would determine what i'd want to do or not do to the background and her dress.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORIGINAL-DADS-PARENTS-2-k-1.jpg (96.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 06:16 PM

I like the smooth skin on this one, but it looks like the faces have been blurred too much and the eyes are poking through the blurriness. I think a little easier on the face blurring looks better. I took a swipe at the original too. Probably similar to what I did last time except I used a gradient map to give it an old-timey look. The shadows are sepia and the highlights are cyan/blue.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_photo_of_couple.jpg (83.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 11:50 PM

bart,

yeah, i saw it as soon as i posted it. i'm becoming used to just posting things up and then coming back later and seeing it's not done. it's really quite obvious now. i knew it was a little off when i was working on it, but now it looks REALLY off. lol. i gotta walk away from these for 24 hours before posting.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help