RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old newspaper Photo

Old 04-10-2006, 01:47 PM

Old newspaper Photo

I'm trying to restore this newspaper photo . I'ts of poor quality and poor resulution. Any idea's of the best way to improve the image, and add some colour tone? I would like to remove the back ground, improve the detail.

Last edited by lostinps; 04-10-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Patron

Lostinps, welcome to RP! Without seeing the image it's really hard to comment. Can you attach a copy here?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 02:32 PM

newspaper photo

Followed all the instruction about attaching image. I'ii try again. My fault image size 512kb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spillainfooty-2 copy.jpg (62.2 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Patron

Lost,
The scan seems very poor and the image is low res with a lot of pixelation. If you can get a cleaner scan, I would start by selecting the green channel and converting the image to B&W. A quick way to do so would be Image>Apply Image and select the Green channel from the pull down menu. I would then duplicate the image. On one image I would duplicate the backgroung layer and change the blend mode to Multiply. On the second image I would duplicate the background and change the blend mode to screen. Then paste a flattened copy of the screened image on top of the Multiplied image, add a layer mask (Hide All). Then with a white brush set to about 10-20% opacity, would paint over the faces and other areas which should be lighter.

The background is in pretty bad shape (including the sky). You should be able to select out the team and past them onto a completely new bkgnd. You can colorize the image or paint in by hand. Or just smooth out the noisy areas and leave in B&W.

Unless you can get a better scan, it will be tough to improve the eyes which seem to be almost black and without detail.

Good luck w/ the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 PM

Old newspaper Photo

Thanks Murray,
I'll give it a try. Problem is that it is a v. poor foto. I'ts from a cira 75 newspaper, I'll give it a try and see. I was thinking of using extract filter and then play with the result, clone etc. Or would you mask and then attempt to impr.
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Patron

Using the best scan that you can get, preferably 1200 dpi, I would make all the corrections that you can on the entire image, focusing on getting the people as best you can. When you are done, then I would cut out the background. If you extract the people first, any changes that you subsequently make will tend to manify any residual background edges and artifacts which were not removed by the extraction.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help