RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photo Retouch & Coloring

Old 04-15-2006, 01:36 PM

Photo Retouch & Coloring

This still could use some work but I'm not sure where exactly. I did another one here http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...t=13315&page=2 and it came out much much better than this one did. This one just doesn't look as realistic as the other one turned out. Right now, I'm blaming it on the original photo. Is there anything that could be done to improve it. Go ahead and mention anything you want from color choice to anything else. Thanks.

Isaac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch-pro.jpg (91.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg JGC300.jpg (97.3 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Looking good imann...

The tie is too saturated for the rest of the photo. It just pops off the page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 02:37 PM

I noticed that. It's frustrating cause the image is much darker in photoshop than it is in the jpeg that I upload. The tie looks much more suitable in the ps file. I do have to cut it back a bit regardless though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I noticed that. It's frustrating cause the image is much darker in photoshop than it is in the jpeg that I upload
Have you got you colour profile set to sRGB, this tends to get closer results to PS when posting to the Web, also have you calibrated your screen???

I agree about the tie, looks a little too stark compared with the rest of the pic. The skin colour looks a little off to me as well, but its not bad.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 05:20 PM

Had a quick go at this. The skin tones still not perfect but still not too bad.
Coloured with Akvis Coloriage Plug-in, lots of noise still in there to remove like I said this was a very quick job.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recolour.jpg (97.3 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I agree with the tie and tried to bring that back.

Peter: With the color I'm just sticking with a gray suit and the black and white tie cause I think that was the original color. I tried blue originally but moved away from it. I think you went too far with the skin color. I also think that the lips look like they have lipstick on them. I'm trying to get away from that. This stuff is so subjective though that it makes it difficult. I'm posting another one but I didn't really change much other than the tie.

My main concern was that it looks much much older and artificially done than my final attachment on the link I have on my first post here. I wasn't sure if this was my fault or if it is due to the photograph. They are only a year apart.

Thanks
Isaac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JGC2b_RGB.jpg (96.8 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Well I did say it was a quick job.

The skin tones look better in this though.

Just a couple of points
I don't think you have followed the Jaw/cheek line properly there appears to be skin colour slightly on the background. A little tidy up would fix that.

And there are signs of oversharpening on the shoulder to the right.

To the left a clean up of the background near the coat edges is needed, it looks a little overblurred.

These are really small points - great job

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 07:28 PM

I have actually noticed everything you just mentioned I just didn't do anything about it yet. Believe it or not I didn't blur this picture at all. I do need to touch up things a bit though. Color, shading, and highlighting are not strong points for me right now but I'm slowly getting better at it. I'm still a little skeptical about the lip color but it isn't horrible. I don't know if you saw the one in the link that I posted but it is noticeably different than this one. The other one is far more crisp and lifelike. I guess there was only so much I could do with this one.

Isaac
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 07:34 PM

Hi Isaac.

My try.
I toned this one right down. Lowering the saturation further than I would normally.

The cyan content in your picture (and the last one) is a little high. Add a curves adjustment and increase the reds very slightly.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Retouch-pro.jpg (96.9 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 PM

The color looks okay to me--the thing that doesn't look right is his face is the only thing colored. Maybe if his hair had some color to it it would help?

Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help