Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Seeking Advice

Old 04-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Hi Kevin.

It’s difficult isn’t it?
You can clearly see what the photographer wanted to do. By placing baby on a chair he was trying to put the heads closer together. However he has stood too far back (Or maybe the camera would not focus close enough.)
If this photographer had his own darkroom then he may have printed it with a better crop.
Also if colour film had been available I’m sure he would have used it.
Everyone is now scanning in their slides and putting them on DVD. Is someone going to say in 100 years time that we should not have done it?
I like Gary and Bart’s prints. But I see nothing wrong with colouring these if you want.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Young-Grandma.jpg (98.7 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Thank You Gary: I am on my way to visit my grandchildren today , but upon returning I am going to give it a try. Thanks so much for posting the instructions. I might even be brave enough to post my results.

I know it may not be the quality of work done here but I must begin to post even if that is so , so I can learn from all of the helpful people here. Thanks again...Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi Neb,

Please do post your work.

We all have been through the learning process (most of us have still got lots to learn, I know I have), so don't be worried if your effort does not appear to you to be as polished as some of the more experienced members.

We are all more critical of our own work, than that of others, so perhaps you are seeing faults with your work that may not be apparent to others.

It's always helpful to have a second (possibly more objective) opinion of your work, so take the plunge.

Look forward to your post.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Wow, thanks everybody. I really appreciate the comments and advice.

I see what you mean about aligning the pictures first, but in this instance someone had already glued them onto an old buble gum card. I will repair the alignment. Thanks for pointing it out. Good advice on the skin coloring too.
I like your second attempt, but it seems a little "blown out" to me. It might be my LCD monitor causing the blow out, otherwise nice work.

I tried using all the layer options including soft light. I liked the soft light, but could not obtain the coloring I was looking for. I will go back and try highlighting some of the hair. I only used one color originally. I think that is my problem. I'm learning that it will require multiple hues to obtain realistic hair, skin, clothing, etc.

Nice work! After seeing your work, I think I will go back and removed the scratches/dust. Did Neat Image remove them, or did you use another method?

I like your thoughts concerning the photographers portrait (putting the baby on the chair). I never would have thought about it. Then again, I'm not much of a photographer. I don't know if I'll crop it as much as you have. I like the period clothes and the baby's face is damaged by the crack. I tried restoring his eye, but was never satisfied with the results, so I left it alone.

Thanks for eveyone's input. When I have a couple of hours, I'll go back and try and incorporate your suggestions and post my results here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm not new to Photoshop. I've been using it almost 15 years now. (as a hobby). It's only in the last couple of years that I've become much better. Photoshop is like everything else; it takes practice. The nice thing about Photoshop you can make tons of mistakes and still have the original to go back to.

I've learned a lot coming here to Retouch Pro. These folks really humbled me, but I didn't let that stop me. In fact that only inspired me to do better! I have learned a number of steps that have saved me hours and my pictures look better!

Although I've only posted a couple of pictures here, I encourage you to post yours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 AM
This is a [COLOR=Green]GEM[/COLOR]

First, its a really good picture. Its so wonderful when you find the gems and get to polish them up. I love the reflection in the early period glass - in fact, I might try to emphasize it as much as you can without moving the focus from the faces. Second. If you are going to tone it sephia or what ever, try using two toner colors. One, like sepia on the Dark areas and a complimentary color on the light colors. I'll be happy to tell you how if you don't know.

I am restoring 500+ of my grandfathers photos. My philosophy is that (1) I save the raw scan, always done in color (2) I always do a faithful restoration on the 'as is' photo: no toning, no reframing, no plastic surgery or special effects. (3) Then I am free to explore it further, having made the commitment to save them all for posterity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Kevin,

I took your second photo, made a copy,

then, Image - Adjustments and desaturated it.

Then made my selections, first i selected all the skin, grandma's and baby's.
to make all the selections together
I hit the Q key first and then select the paint brush and painted everything I wanted to select, (It'll paint everything you want to select in red, they'll look like clowns) ie. faces, and hands will all be covered in red. Once finished, I hit the Q key again and you'll see the selections/marching ants.

now you need to hit controll/shift - I to invert the selection and now at the bottom of the Layers panel, click the little ying/yang looking symbol, this is a layer mask.
then select color balance and the rest is up to your eye.

What I like about tinting this way is the actual photo comes through and you can still hit the opacity and fill later if you need it....

God, I hope it all makes sense... LOL

PS: I did all the tinting really fast, so there are a lot of skips around the edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young-Grandma-restored.psd.jpg (90.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 02:55 PM

You know it's funny. I was just thinking about this photo today. I told myself you really need to get back to working on it and others. (It's been almost 6 weeks since I last worked on it.) Life's busy, with kids, sports, work, church, etc. I'm sure you get the picture.

I really appreciate your comments. I print out all the good advice and keep them in a folder so I can easily find them again.

In the end I decided to leave the photo in it's original color. I listened to some of the advice given here and decided to not colorize the photo. I have several others that need coloring (original color photos that have faded severely). I'm going to try your advice on my next photo. I'll post the results here. Oh... your message made perfect sense. Thanks.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Using Bart's Method

I think the most important thing in this photo is to do what Bart suggested. I.e. piece the photo together first. I selected the top part of the tear and moved it down and to the right.

I preferred the original tone to the colorization.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RetouchMa.jpg (29.6 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Phil and Bart,

I am so clueless. I read Bart's advice to put the pieces back together first, then start restoring the photo. In a previous post I mentioned the photo was glued down. DUH. I just now realized I could move them in Photoshop!... How clueless is that??

I'm not planning on starting over with this photo, but there will be others that need to be restored. I will remember to piece the photo together FIRST!

Your blur looks good, maybe just a tad to much for me, but a definate improvement over my photo. Can you tell me the settings you used and how you did it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help