RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Damn print texture

Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 AM

I thought Craig's version looked pretty good, but here's something more smooth. If this isn't smooth enough, the problem might be you're posting too small of an image for us to see the problem sufficiently.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remove_texture.jpg (96.9 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 AM

Isaac I don't think you want to remove too much texture with a picture like this. It isn't possible anyway without blurring it to the point where it looks deliberately blurred (unless of course that is the look you are going for). I am not sure just how soft a look that you want. It is all a matter of preference. What I might consider blurred you might consider spot on. Having said that here is my preference for this picture. I have attached two examples: one more blurred than the other. My preference is for the less blurred of the two.
Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family3.jpg (99.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg family4.jpg (97.5 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 03:39 AM

Hey Syd and Bart. The reason I want the texture removed is because I have been asked to color it and to do that well, I think if I am going to make a mistake it should be to the side of blurring it. However, I have just tried another method that I found in Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching book. If you have it, it is on page 411. If not, it is supposed to be used for glamour shots, not 1945 black and whites but it is an excellent method to remove as much or as little of the texture as you want without making it appear blurred.

It has to do with using the healing brush and going at a copy of the original and then placing a light texture onto that with a neutral layer set to overlay. You then copy pieces of the original and paste them on top of the healed layer and texture layer and set the opacity accordingly. As long as you stay away from the edges and sharp contrast changes such as the eyes or lips, you don't lose anything and can allow the original texture to come through. It takes a little practice but I'm working on it. Keep an eye out for this cause I'm very interested in what you think of this process once I can show it to you. If you want to know more about this or have any questions about it then just ask. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Isaac

That is exactly the procedure I used... but I did not take a lot of time doing it.

I have found it works better on a high res picture better than what we download so it should come out much better for you.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 11:33 PM

isaac,

i've been studying your image to see what it is you were talking about. i think i understand now but not quite sure. if you could post a recent one you've been working on that doesnt have this texture thing fixed yet, i'd appreciate seeing it.

also, have you tried the polaroid dust and scratch remover on this yet? it will handle things that neat image wont.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 AM

Kraellin

Is the polariod dust filter you are using the discontinued one from 2003?. I went to downlaod to try and not sure Ii was looking at the correct one.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 01:01 AM

butch,

not really sure. i got it off the polaroid site less than a year ago, but havent been back in a while. so, not sure what's there now. the version i have says version 1.0.0.15 copyright 2002 and was free at the time.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 01:15 AM

ok, i just checked the polaroid site again. it looks to be the same version i have and is still free and there are versions for both mac and windows. here's the link: http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 AM

Thanks Craig

Butch
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help