Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Newbie needs help with stained face

Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Unhappy Newbie needs help with stained face

I have read all the posts I could find on restoring photos with stains, but can't seem to get a handle on some of the techniques.
I am trying to restore the attached photo using Paint Shop 10.
As many of you have said having to try to restore a problem that involves the face is probably the hardest.
If any of you impressive folks could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Steps I tried.
Splitting into color channels - stain seems to appear in them all.

Clone and color replacement - both useless.

Any ideas?

Desperate Newbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dj stain.jpg (86.5 KB, 137 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by srtoys
Any ideas?
Get a Trial of Photoshop CS2 and PM me. You can fix it right up with less elbow grease than you already used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Quick synopsis:

- cloned as much as possible
- copied & pasted opposite parts to restore unaffected detail in corners of eyes etc.
- painted in different blend modes to colorize and balance
- blurred or healed difficult spots

10 min of work and definitely not a final result... but it's doable. always.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dj stain.jpg (97.5 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Quick clone job.

Rough out with semi-soft brush at 100%, blend in with soft brush at about 20%.

Had to guess what nose looked like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dj stain copy.jpg (92.4 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi Srtoys.

Welcome to RetouchPro.

This picture has become pixelated in the stained area around his face. I used blank layers set to
To repair the face and other staining.

levels to set black and white points.
Selective colour to adjust the colours
Layer to colour the face and remove some of the casts
Neat Image. (selective)
Sharpened (High pass)
I also straightened it up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_dj-stain.jpg (97.3 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I used much the same techniques as above but I did use a little skin from another picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ToBe.jpg (97.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 05-03-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Color Transformation

You don't need to post a larger image, but I wanted to say the noise from the stain is aliased in this small image, so the task is somewhat complicated by that. If you use the method I describe it'll only turn out better with a larger image.

My first step is to mathematically remove most of the stain. I use what I like to call the color transformation method (another one of my tutorial to-do's). I've described it in the past in these posts:

The second post was for Photoshop. PSPX doesn't have color samplers, but you don't need them--just move the eye dropper around and enter the data directly into the curve.

The trick is painting the curve mask to good effect, but you don't have to get it perfect--you just want to get it good enough so that subsequent destructive methods (smudge and clone) can be used gently without hurting important detail. Use a soft, low opacity (<25%) brush. The first attachment shows how it looks after this first step.

Now that the face is mostly cleaned up, it's safe to use progressively more aggresive steps. I did the next steps pretty quick just because I don't want to spend a lot of time on such a small sample.

The next step is correcting the color (layer Fine Tune Color)--just create a blank color blend layer (use color legacy blend mode) and paint some good skin color into the stained area.

Create another blank layer (Smudge) and do some light smudging to get rid of some of the graininess.

Create another blank layer (Clone) for cloning out the background (I didn't use cloning on the face because it invariably changes the person's appearance.) In retrospect, it looks like I might have erased some of his hair--oops--I was in a hurry.

Finished up with a tiny bit of degrunging (search for tutorial by byRo). A larger original would have enabled more effective degrunging.

The second attachment shows the final result. The last attachment shows the layer stackup (I used PSPX to match up with you.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg remove_stain_from_boys_face_step1.jpg (93.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg remove_stain_from_boys_face.jpg (97.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg remove_stain_from_boys_face_layers.jpg (55.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi everybody,

welcome to RP!

...Had to try this ....

At first, like most people did, I copied the 'good' cheek, flipped it and pasted it ... but wasn't really satisfied with the result... so ... I tried something else:

* Loosely selected around the discoloration and feathered the selection.
Created a new blank layer, set it to Soft Light, and with a fuzzy white brush (opacity>10-20%), I painted over the stain to lighten it up a bit.

* With the selection still active I created a Levels Adjustment Layer where I tweaked midtones and shadows to decrease the black. (Very pale, nearly all details faded) Attachment 2

* After reselecting (Ctrl+Click on the Levels Adjustment Layer's Mask) I created a Selective Colors AL where I tweaked: Reds, Whites and Neutrals to basically correct the colours a bit.

* Blank Layer set to Color where with a fuzzy colour brush (opacity 40-60%) I painted colours sampled from surrounding areas. Attachment 3

* 2 more blank layers set to Normal where I used the heal Brush and the Blur Tool, and Soft Light where, with a fuzzy white brush (opacity>10-20%), I enhanced lighter spots to bring back a 3D feeling to the right cheek (my right) and forehead. Result up to this point + My workflow so far > Attachment 4

Ken has already provided the link to the 'Blank Layers set to...' Tutorial... (Thank you!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_dj-stain2.jpg (98.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0080.jpg (79.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0081b.jpg (79.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0079.jpg (96.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Flora; 05-04-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 11:31 AM
this one gave me fits to begin with. it wasnt till i realized that the main problem wasnt a color problem but rather a luminance problem, that i began to get some decent results.

the reason i say it's a luminance problem is that when you study the stain on the face you'll notice the r g b values are all very close to each other, putting this more into the gray tones rather than the color tones.

with that in mind, i selected out the stained facial area and made a new image of it. not a layer, but a whole image. i then resized it to 4 times the normal size. i then ran the 32 band gray plugin on it to lighten up the stains.

then i did a small amount of push (smudge) on it and resized it back to the original size and pasted it onto a new blank layer in the right position and set this layer's blend mode to luminance. i added a group layer to this and inserted a curves adjustment layer to balance the colors better. so, now we're back to color adjustment.

from there it was a matter of blank layers and push, clone and airbrushing with one additional color balance adjustment layer throw in for good measure. i used several blank layers here, one for airbrushing, one for push, and one for both. i tend to make these blank layers as sort of mini-saves. i get to a place where one tool has done pretty well and i 'save' that work by making a new blank layer and start fresh with new work.

when i had the color tones for the face pretty well and the hair blended into the face and so on, the last tweak was with the lighten/darken brush to add a bit of highlights back to the face. all that airbrushing and push tends to make too much of a monotone at times.

and somewhere near the end i also simply cloned out the stain that wasnt part of the boy. that part was easy.

all in all, a tricky image. how i discovered the luminance problem was that the hue/sat/light adjustment layer (i had tried but didnt use ultimately) was having very little effect on changing things except when i used the lightness slider. that was the clue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dj stain-2-k-1.jpg (96.7 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I sure was impressed by all the talented people here.
All willing to help out a poor newbie.
The help is greatly appreciated.

What a bunch of great tips.

This is my daugthers favorite picture of her son, I'm sure she will be thrilled that with some work it can be saved.

I work with computers everyday but my skills are more techy than artistic.

Now it's time for me to give it a whirl.

I now have Photoshop CS2 installed in addition to Paint shop pro 10.
Although I haven't had the patience to work with Photoshop much, it seems the better choice here.

I have a high resolution scan to work from.

Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help