RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Missing shadows and light

Old 05-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Missing shadows and light

Hello all . This is an image of my neighbour. I have asked her permission to seek advice on improving my manipulated version of her. Although l am a keen digital photo hobbyist, shadows and light is an area of this specialty that still confounds and confuses me. Do l need to add shadow and light to make this image look believable. I am using photoshop cs2 and class my skills level as intermediate and my keeness, as way above that. Thank you... Tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Off-to-church.jpg (98.2 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 07:20 PM

missing shadows and light original image

This is a copy of the original image. Hope this image with the all the shadows and lights intact might help. Thank you again . Tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg going-to-church.jpg (99.1 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Patron

Tell, I had already tweaked the first one prior to seeing the original you just posted. But the comments would be the same. Essentially extract the lady from the original background as best you can. Soften the edge of the selection with a feather of 3 pixels so that you can blend it into a new backgroung as the sample below. Blurring the background will focus the viewer on the main subject. The other thing I would do is make a curve adjustment to the lady to reduce the brightness level of her blouse (it is almost at 100% white) and add contrast by by bringing up the shadow end.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Off-to-church Rev MM Thumb.jpg (91.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Off to Church Curve.jpg (99.5 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 02:17 AM

Hi Tell,

Had a quick go with your original.

Extracted using extract tool. Duplicated extracted figure to new layer. Placed on new Background.

Now 3 layers. BG, extracted figure, extracted figure copy.

Click on middle layer to make active, and fill figure with black using paint bucket.
Blur using Gaussian blur, and change layer opacity (I used about 35%).

Now move Shadow to right (as light on figure is from left) using move tool.

Flattened image.

New layer. I now cloned using a soft clone brush set to 15% and reduced some of the wrinkles (do not totally remove them as this looks un-natural).

Sorry, getting below 100k file limit has posterised BG a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Going To Church Copy.jpg (89.3 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 AM

quick fix

didn´t have a great deal of time as off to work soon - used shadow and highlights in CS2 lowered the gamma and cropped.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Off-to-church_highlight_sha.jpg (98.0 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 04:23 AM

shadow and light Tell thanks you for the tips.

Thankyou Murray for your comments. I didnt think of the blouse being almost 100% white. Thank you very much for pointing it out to me. I would have embarrassed myself when the print came back. Like the background, very suitable. Always a thank you to Garry Richardson, Wish l could use the extract tool like you do. Do you incorporate the history brush with it. Ive never had such positive results as you get.. Gary (moonfizz), like your version really looks impressive. If you get time maybe you could pass on your process steps.. Thank you all .. Tell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 06:58 AM

Hi,

Great job everybody!

Gary,

I think your version is simply perfect!!!

Murray,

great background... a tad overwelming for the 'muted' coloring of the Lady, it 'steals' the show...

Tell & Gary (MoonFizz),

I love your choices of colours for the background ... just one small tip ... a uniform, flat-coloured background tends to looks unnatural ... A gradient would be a big help help ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Flora, Thanks for the kind words, glad to see you back.

Tell, With a high contrast between BG and subject like here, the extract tool usually works quite well. I didn't need to do too much, just used the "Smart Highlighting" for the hard outline, and unchecked it for the hair. Trick with hair is to use a brush large enough to just cover the transition areas, and keep the inner edge of the brush just onto the hair (most of brush onto BG).

Lastly I hand finish with eraser and history brush. Usually use a soft eraser with reduced opacity for hair edges,
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 04:28 AM

extract tool

Garry,the extract tool will get some work from now on . Maybe l need to play around with it abit.. Wasnt even aware of the smart highlighting.. brushing with two thirds of the extract tool edge highlighter on the background and one third or less, on the hair is a tip that works. Thanks again Gary for your comments and the your wonderful example. Flora some people dream of winning the lotto. I dream of being a spy on the wall in your photoshop tool shed. I wish you'd gather up all the work you've put into this retouch pro forum and put it in a book, and unlike other books it wouldnt stay there. I bet lm not the only one thats thought of that. Yes a gradient background is something l know l should have thought of.. In fact l'm sure Gary Richardson gave me the same advice when he helped me composite my Mother (masquarading as a priest) onto the stairs of a Church..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 08:22 AM

Hi Tell,

Glad I could help a little.

Agree with you totally about the Flora book.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help