Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Red Roses to Ivory Color

Old 05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Exclamation Red Roses to Ivory Color

I tryed some different steps in CS2, but all seems not to work for me. What is the best step to change red roses into a ivory color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red roses.jpg (85.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi there

My problem is, what is Ivory... I am terrible with color. But it is easy to choose reds in a levels adjustment and boost the lightness. Then you have an off white and you can apply any color you want to the flowers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-roses1.jpg (90.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 05-05-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I messed around too and this is the closest I have gotten so far...this was done starting with selective color to get rid of the dark red, then use the brush set to color mode on a new layer and use a cream color to paint over the petals. Then I set the mode to lighten on that whole layer so it wouldn't matter about "staying in the lines". I think I ran a warming filter too b/c it looked kinda green after all that. Not perfect by any stratch of the imagination, but maybe it can get you on the right track.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose-b-a.jpg (97.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
You can also try selective color, editing the red channel, or color range. All should give you good results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi NEKRetoucher
Welcome to Retouch Pro.

According to color charts Ivory is equal Red and Green with a little less Blue.
ie. 255.255.240 and 205.205.193.

Here is my attempt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kem_red-roses.jpg (86.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Cameraken; 05-06-2006 at 06:29 AM. Reason: mixed up blue and green
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 04:02 PM
The red rose isolates very easily with a Hue / Saturation adjustment and then you can change your colorto whatever looks like ivory. This looked close to the ivory that I am used to.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red roses MM Rev.jpg (77.5 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 PM

welcome to RP.

i'm afraid the current digital system makes this problem more of a problem than it shld be. because digital creates various colors from other colors you get the problem that the red rose seems like the only red in the image, when in fact, it isnt. there's actually lots of red in your image. we look at it and we go, that shld be easy to change. but, when you apply a filter or tool to affect the reds it affects all the reds in the image, including those colors that are partially created from red.

so, that means you have to isolate YOUR red out from the other reds in the overall image. and that means selections or masks. i used the magic wand set to color mode and simply made a selection of the red in the roses. if you get that right, then it's easy from there on.

you simply desaturate, using whatever you have that will do that, hue/sat adjustment layer, fast fix, or whatever and also lighten at the same time. this will allow you to pick whatever white you want, whether ivory, eggshell, pale, etc. i simply used my own 32 band gray plugin to desaturate and lighten.

once you've got that, you can then do any final tweaks you might want, like anti-aliasing the selection, contrast adjustments, or other global adjustments if desired.

also, your image is quite small and only at 72 dpi. you'd avoid some other problems by working with larger images at higher resolutions.

it's a nice picture and well worth some tweaks, so, good luck

Attached Images
File Type: jpg red roses-1-k-1.jpg (69.8 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help