RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

1950s Kodacolor gone mad

Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM

Neat Image is a Noise Reduction tool that's separate from Photoshop. You can download a very functional version for free.

Stamping is another name for cloning which PS7 has. I think the full name might be clone stamp. Search for both in the help or manual.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 03:49 PM

stamping

Thanks Bart - I'll download Neat Image.

When you mentioned "stamping", you mentioned it in terms of stamping two layers. Is that similar to merging down or something? I've never really used cloning with layers (you mentioned stamping and cloning were similar). So, what was the goal when you "stamped" two layers? combining the layers? locking them? thanx for your patience with me....

Well, I think I've gotten plenty of advice. Its been fun viewing all your results. I'm going to give it another try and post my results.

thanx again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo
Thanks Bart - I'll download Neat Image.

When you mentioned "stamping", you mentioned it in terms of stamping two layers. Is that similar to merging down or something? I've never really used cloning with layers (you mentioned stamping and cloning were similar). So, what was the goal when you "stamped" two layers? combining the layers? locking them? thanx for your patience with me....

thanx again.
Did I mention stamping two layers in this thread? Anyway, I usually interpret stamping and cloning interchangeably although they really aren't. Cloning is a type of stamping, but it's far and away the one I use the most. Usually, if someone means something other than cloning they'll say so--eg., "pattern stamp". I always call clone stamp simply clone--probably because I learned it in Paintshop Pro where it's just called the clone brush.

Usually I create a new blank layer and clone onto that instead of cloning directly onto the image layer itself. Configure the clone brush to use all layers and then put the cloned pixels onto the new blank layer. The end result is the same, but all of the changes go onto the separate layer. By doing this you can erase some of them or shut them off entirely so you can easily start over if needed. This also saves the overhead of having to copy all of your layers into a merged layer.

I use the blank layer method for just about everything I can--not just cloning.

In both cases, the goal is to cover up something undesirable in the image--scratch, pimple, stains, former friends , etc...

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 08:30 PM

stamping -

my apologies Bart - it was Phil who talked about stamping layers......
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 PM

I've been devolping an artistic* retouching technique.
Wish I had a bit more time to work on this - but it's late and I gotta work tomorrow.

*or cheating, if you wish

Attached Images
File Type: jpg f9-byRo.jpg (96.1 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Great work byRo, I really like the effect. Very jealous here, I have no artistic talent at all. That talent separates the wanabes with the truly gifted.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 11:53 PM

interesting, Ro. if i'm assuming correctly what you've done, i had thought of trying something like that out but never did. i'm guessing you're retouching/restoring by adding color rather than trying to correct with clones and such.

at any rate, it's a very nice job! (and i do expect to hear more details of the process)

well, i've been plodding along on this thing and here's the next update on it. this is just more of the same, clone, push, smudge, airbrush as mentioned in earlier posts.

craig

edit: oh, there was one extra thing in this one. i used the remove red-eye tool to add back some eyes to the two. it's still fairly faint there but a bit more discernable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fathertest9-2-k-1e.jpg (94.1 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM

2 frustrations = 1 satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
... I'm guessing you're retouching/restoring by adding color rather than trying to correct with clones and such.
No, you're cold.

Story.......
I have long had two frustrations:

- when doing a restoration I can see what the image should look like, makes me want to paint it in rather then cloning little bits and pieces;
- when doing digital painting my results always end up more photographic than artistic.
So I do a quick (ball-park) fix in PS and save an inicial greyscale image. Open this in Painter and clone the image. Using low "resat" values and high "blend" you can set up a brush which is a mix of cloning and smudging.
Back to PS for cleaning up, and finally colourizing.

Now, is this cheating? The restoration will end up a little more "interpretive" than "arquival". Up to now, my clients haven't complained (on the contrary) - seems they're more interested in a pretty picture than clinical accuracy.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Patron

Smeary and Stamping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
Nice one Murry--I think you got the perfect medium between keeping noise reasonable while still making it look vivid.

Phil, yours looks smeared like maybe you turned up Neat Image too strong?

Bart
Your right. Too much neat image.

Well stamping is a term I learned from the photoshop help menu. It creates a new layer on top of the lower layers and Merges the information from the lower layers. Using a Mac its made by command+Option+shift+e.

I do that when working on a photo so that I can start from that point and add more adjustment layers to a partially corrected image.

Last edited by philbach; 05-17-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Ro,

ok, that's kind of interesting, a clone-smudge brush/tool. i somewhat do that when i clone at times, but i just use the clone brush to smudge as i go by overlapping the clones at a low opacity. it's not the same thing, i know, but i dont have painter. i wonder, though, if you couldnt do something similar with deep paint 2, being that that is such a clone heavy program.

and yes, this isnt what i thought. when i first saw the picture i thought you were simply painting over it to fix it, which is the idea i had a while back but never really tried.

as for 'cheating', good lord no. heck, digital itself is 'cheating', so we're already way past that point

and it doesnt surprise me a bit that folks want the 'fantasy' over the 'real' clinical accuracy. i see that here on RP. often, the retouched/restored image that is more fanicful, smoothed up, over blurred/neat imaged gets more nice comments than the more accurate one. so, that's no surprise at all.

plus, you seem to be an artist first and a retoucher second. your work as an artist has always impressed me, so again, that folks want your art more than your retouching, is not a big surprise. and please, dont take that to mean 'i think Ro sucks as a retoucher'. it doesnt and you know it

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help