RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I need some help doing a MAJOR Face Restoration !!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM

Lightbulb I need some help doing a MAJOR Face Restoration !!

Hello Everyone...This is my first post here and I want to say this forum KICKS some major hiney !!

I have tried everything I know to make this face have more detail....is this a lost cause?? Any suggestions would be totally appreciated. I am using PS Elements 4 and I am struggling.Please look at the attached prtion of the photo. The rest of the photo I have no problem it's just this face.

Thanks for looking and any help !!!

D70farmer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03052006---ChuckonTractor.jpg (99.9 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 01:16 AM

too late for details right now.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03052006---ChuckonTractor-1-k-1b.jpg (91.9 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Patron

To restore or to recontruct

Do you have any other photos of this person's face? If you do, you might be able to get away with a careful recontruction using elements of and reference from other (hopefully clearer) face shot/s whilst trying to maintain or blend in as much of the original features as is useful. I hope this is useful.

Littlecoo
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM

Hi,

A lot depends on what you're trying to accomplish. You have to ask yourself how much liberty you're willing to take. The attachment shows the best that photoshop will be able to do without you having to make any decisions for yourself. This was accomplished by just letting the program do all the work. From this point however, if you were to go any further, you'd be making it up as you go along, in that you really don't know what this person looks like, so anything you added or took away would only be a guess. Doing those kinds of things to a picture, such as painting on it, or moving pixels around, would depend on what you were trying to get out of it, and whether or not you have the luxury to try. And it would take a lot of artistic skill as well, obviously.

You can get to the point here by looking in the channels and finding the best one and then doing a levels or curves correction if you know how. If not, then there are plenty of tutorials on the net. Google something like "levels correction tutorial photoshop" and you'll get plenty of hits.

I would recommend levels for this and it is simple and only takes a couple minutes once you know how. You'll need to learn how to do this anyway because you can't work the program properly without knowing how. You can still use it and your work might look okay, but it will always be flawed.

good luck,

M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03052006---ChuckonTractor copy 3.jpg (78.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 03:32 AM

I have tried to bring out the true details of the face as best I can...it is unfinished but you can see it a little clearly now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D70Farmer.jpg (38.1 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 05:20 AM

Hi everybody,

D70Farmer,

welcome to RP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70Farmer
I have tried everything I know to make this face have more detail....is this a lost cause??
.. I agree with Mig, you'll never be able to get a cleaner, smoother and yet sharper result unless you go for a more 'flexible' solution as Mig has rightly pointed out
Quote:
You have to ask yourself how much liberty you're willing to take.
... but yes, like Ziaphra said, it is possible to enhance the 'true details' of the face to get an acceptable (?) result.

Working with PS CS2, (I don't have PS Element) I played with contrast, shadows and highlights and with and with blank Layers set to Lighten, Darken, Soft Light and Overlay ...

Let me know if you would like a more detailed description of what I did...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_ChuckonTractor.jpg (99.3 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 07:02 AM

LOL! Flora I just compared mine with yours and I think yours is more of a true likeness...I think I aged him a little!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 01:28 PM

Hi Ziaphra,

...I'm not really satisfied with my result ... but the conditions of the original are surely not the best to start with ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:23 PM

Considering the original, I think you all did a good job reconstructing the image. It would take an illustrator or painter to bring out the face in full, as the damages are so severe.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 PM

well, i wasnt real happy with my first posting either. it was late, i was tired, blah, blah, blah... i wasnt happy.

this is such a cantankerous image that i tend to agree that if you had another image to pull data from it might help.

i also think i aged him, in both my attempts. the head is overly large for the rest of the body, suggesting youth where the body hasnt grown into the head size yet, but it's so messed up it's hard to tell.

at any rate, both image are a LOT of push and clone mixed with the clarify filter. there was some airbrushing and some lighten/darken brush on each.

the biggest difference in the 2nd version is that i started a completely new version...twice. one of those versions i took and added as a layer into the first and then did some blend modes to bring back some of the mouth.

both versions also had a digital camera noise removal layer in there somewhere.

the first post used a lightness/contrast and clarify, but the 2nd only used clarify as the initial contraster to bring out the detail.

this is one of those images that you could spend 100 hours on and still not get completely correct. it's in VERY bad shape. i dont often recommend original picture cleanings, but in this case if you could get a conservator to clean up the original picture and then scan it in at a very high resolution it would probably help.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03052006---ChuckonTractor-2-k-1a.jpg (94.3 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help