RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Gray Card

Old 05-21-2006, 02:48 AM

That's what I like about this place, always something new to learn.

Thanks Flora and Ro for the tips, I'll have to have a play around and get the feel of them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Patron

Color Sampler

This was taken from the photoshop help menu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SamplerChange.jpg (19.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Hi,

Don't have CS2, I use PS7, so not sure what tools you'll have that I don't.

OK, to use the grey card.

First use eyedropper sampler to put samplers on the mid grey, white, and black areas of the chart.

What you're wanting to do is get each of the values for R,G,B to be equal.

Start with mid grey as this is the major adjustment. Open a curves adj layer. Now look at the values for mid grey in your sampler. You're looking for which channel has the mid value. Now in curves open one of the other channels (in the drop down menu at the top of the box) move the curves cursor over your mid grey sampler point, and Ctrl+click. This will put a marker on your curves graph. Select that point, and move it up/down with the up/down keys on your keyboard to make the value of that channel equal to the value of the "mid value" channel. (look at the eyedropper values for mid grey as you adjust curves, the values to the right are the ones you're trying to equalise).

Now repeat this for the other channel.

You should now have equal channel values for the mid grey.

Next white. Here you want to make all the values equal to the largest value of the 3 channels. To achieve this use the same technique as described above.

Now black. Here you want to make all the channel values equal to the lowest value. Use same techniques again.

Lastly go back to mid grey. Altering the white and black points will have pulled your channel values a little. Select the mid value, and adjust the other channels to equalise. (usually it's easy to adjust).

Note: Usually you can't get all channels exactly equal in grey, white and black, just get the best balance you can. Mid grey is the most important to get balanced.

OOPS, have posted picture of eyedropper values before I made final mid grey adjustment, sorry. (But I think you can get the general idea from them).

Final picture is just to show what wierd shapes you can get in your curves when adjusting this way. I've showed the blue channel. White point to right, black (dark grey actually) to left.

Sorry Gary, but this seems to be hard for me to catch on to. I tried the steps that you noted. I lost at the beginning step of getting the RGB levels right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi,

....3 small Tips to add to Gary's great explanation ...

1) from Katrin Eismann's Book (and this is true for the Curves as well!!): 2) Use a Levels/Curves Adjustment Layer instead of working directly on the image ....

3) .... this way, once you found the right values and you are happy with the result, you can simply 'drag and drop' your Levels/Curves Adjustment Layer to all other pictures taken in the same location and with the same light... Meaning ... you do the correction work only once ...

That's what I did with your pictures .. (Attachment 1)

* Working in RGB Mode, and using a Levels Adjustment Layer, I set White and Grey Points as shown in Attachment 2... (I didn't set the Black Point because I wasn't sure if any of the shadow in the image was really black)

* Dragged the Levels Adjustment Layer from the 'Grey Card' image I used to correct the colours and simply dropped it on top of the backgroung of the second image ...

Flora tips on level adjustments work the best for me. Here is my results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joann-Revised.jpg (64.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 PM

Syd,

thank you for your kindness ... and glad I could help!!

Rô,

... another tip like this and I 'might' ... consider changing to L*A*B* ... only kidding ... I'm using it and I've been using it for a long time ... but you know me ... and numbers...

Gary,

thanks for your kindness!! ... You are absolutely right!
Quote:
That's what I like about this place, always something new to learn.
extrememc,

looks great!! ... So glad I could help!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:40 AM

White on White

Well here another photo that I have tried to bring the detail out in the white dress, but the white backdrop makes it hard. Any suggestion on this one?
http://grafxxpluz.smugmug.com/photos/71305754-L.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Patron

Changing the Background

Well I decided to change the background to add contrast to the subject. The lady on our right with her hat was the biggest problem. I.e. did the edge of her hat have an accessory of some kind sticking out.

I decided to make a path with the pen tool in photoshop. The blue channel offered the most contrast but I used a curves adjustment layer to increase the contrast between the subjects and the background.

After I made the path I turned it into a selection and used that to copy the subject to a new layer. Below that layer I changed the background using a lime color and another darker color and the filter/render/clouds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Contrast.jpg (63.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Theladies.jpg (26.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 07:15 AM

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrememc
... I have tried to bring the detail out in the white dress, but the white backdrop makes it hard. Any suggestion on this one?
..If it is just the white backdrop giving you problems you could always change its colour as Phil suggested... If you want to keep the white backdrop and still brig out the details here is a way of doing it ... (I toned down the whites quite strongly just to show how many details are there to be uncovered/enhanced ... This, close to the original with its yellow cast, makes my backdrop look grey ... but if you crop my version and look at it on its own, you'll see the greyness fade away.. )

After having lightly corrected the strong yellow cast, I ..

* Created a luminosity Mask: (attachment 2)
Channels Palette > Duplicated the Blue Channel, used Levels to increase the duplicate's contrast. Used Gaussian Blur (0.3 px Radius to soften the edges ever so lightly) ,Ctrl+Click on the Blue Copy Channel to select its luminosity, Shift+Click on it to go back to the RGB composite view.

* With the selection active, back to the Layers Palette and Ctrl+J copied the selection to a new Layer which I called 'whites'.

* Used Hue/Saturation, Ctrl+U, to strongly desaturate the 'whites' Layer (I didn't desaturate completely so to leave a very light colour hint on the whites as well..)

* Duplicated the 'whites' Layer twice setting the blending of the first duplicate to Color and the blending of the second (top) duplicate to Multiply ... (If you think it's necessary, you can always duplicate the multiply Layer and 'play with its Opacity) ...

Sounds very complicated, but it's very easy and a matter of no more than 5 minutes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_71305754-L.jpg (99.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-013.jpg (43.2 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
Well I decided to change the background to add contrast to the subject. The lady on our right with her hat was the biggest problem. I.e. did the edge of her hat have an accessory of some kind sticking out.

I decided to make a path with the pen tool in photoshop. The blue channel offered the most contrast but I used a curves adjustment layer to increase the contrast between the subjects and the background.

After I made the path I turned it into a selection and used that to copy the subject to a new layer. Below that layer I changed the background using a lime color and another darker color and the filter/render/clouds
When I am using the pen path selection the area to the inside of the selection turns white. Why is that? I have also complete my path selection now how do I turn it into a selection?

Last edited by extrememc; 05-24-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 12:30 PM

How about a combination of Flora and Phil

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-0.jpg (97.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 05-24-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help