Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Suggestions for patterns from scanning negs

Old 05-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Suggestions for patterns from scanning negs

This problem happens to me occasionally and I suspect I am not alone. See the attached thumbnail for an example of the problem. I believe it is caused by curved negatives being scanned. Are there good suggestions for flattening the negs prior to scanning? Any ideas for effective removal after the fact. I like to do as much before PS as I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pattern for retouch pro.jpg (61.1 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi Smiley.

These marks are known as Newton rings. They were very common when working on an enlarger with a glass negative carrier. That is why most people preferred a glassless neg carrier.

I would suspect that your curved negs are touching glass somewhere in the scanner (Or maybe even the scan head)

The easiest solution would be to flip the negs over so that they are bending the other way, then flip them back in PS after scanning.

You could also try rewashing them and redrying them but this will depend on the age of the negs. Some never seem to straighten out completely.

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Newton Rings

A preventative approach, as suugested by Ken is likely the best way to go.
The effect of these rings is strong color across the spectrum which manifests itself non uniformly in each channel. The normal channel blending and blurring used in moire (a similar, but less severe phenomenon) will not work here. Cloning is possible but depending on the size of the area affected may not product the best results. Taking two scans with the negative alternately inverted and then blending the two images together may be a workable solution.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help